PDA

View Full Version : Bass and carp already in at Anaheim ?

HookedUptuber
08-08-2012, 08:25 PM
Was there today saw 3-4 good size carp and baby bass hanging around the pump house on the west side cove area near catfish island. Anyone else seen this? I don't think they have brought the fish over yet from SARL.

old pudd fisher
08-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Maybe they got sucked up in the pipes when it got filled from lake Mathews ?

goodguy
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM
Was there today saw 3-4 good size carp and baby bass hanging around the pump house on the west side cove area near catfish island. Anyone else seen this? I don't think they have brought the fish over yet from SARL.

They brought the phish over a while ago. SARL has been dry as a bone for at least a week...

Ian
08-09-2012, 07:55 AM
Why would they bring in the carp too and not just kill them?

technician
08-09-2012, 08:13 AM
Why would they bring in the carp too and not just kill them?

Small amounts of carp does have benifits. It's when they are overpopulating a fishery that the damage occurs. And i doubt they had time to sift through each and every fish that was in sarl.

HookedUptuber
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Yeah but weren't they supposed to post a video showing it

technician
08-09-2012, 01:48 PM

That I don't know....

goodguy
08-10-2012, 07:28 AM
Companies promise a lot of things.
SARL is dry I live 2 miles away and see it at least once a week. The SARL fish are in Anaheim...

Marley
08-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Companies promise a lot of things.
SARL is dry I live 2 miles away and see it at least once a week. The SARL fish are in Anaheim...

Chris' Pond is dry, main lake still has probably 15 feet of water in it. WOW! That's a big hole. If things go as in previous cleanings, the catfish lake will have water in it the entire time.
I'm kinda surprised that they kept the carp but they are fun to catch and there are those anglers who target them.

Marley
08-10-2012, 11:45 PM

The post hinted that it would be dry and clean when the pictures were shot.

goodguy
08-13-2012, 07:57 AM
hmmm... I guess I'm wrong, every time I drive by I can't see any water in there at all. .

Marley
08-13-2012, 10:21 PM
hmmm... I guess I'm wrong, every time I drive by I can't see any water in there at all. .

Yeah, it's a bit of an illusion almost. What you see from the Tustin offramp and from the 91 is Chris' Pond, the smallest of the three lakes. It's also the shallowest which means it empties first. You also see the top about 40 feet of the big lake's dry walls. If you drive in behind Jimmy's, or into the entrance to the lakes, you can see the bottom of the big lake and the water that's left in it. In years past and, I'm predicting this year, too, the lake never actually dries up completely. The lake's bottom is all sand which makes it's really good for water seeping through it. That's what the lake is for; percolation of river water into the underground aquifer.
But sand is still sand and it still allows water to seep through it only when there is no water inside the lake, the water moves into the lake instead of out. The Santa Ana River is less than 150 yards from the big lake and by the time the water makes its way down the channel and into Anaheim much of the river's flow is underground. By the time it reaches Angel Stadium it's all underground for most of the year.
Anyway, that water seeps from the river and into the big lake all the time the lake is "empty." When you look into the basin you will see the big wet spots and the erosion they caused as the lake was draining. If you look at the reports of where the best fishing traditionally is and compare those spots to where these seeps are...