PDA

View Full Version : Private boater Newport pipe August 7

JL
08-08-2012, 11:35 AM
My Wife and i looked to get out of the heat in the Inland Empire (106) and also get in some fishing. We have not fished out of Newport for nearly a year. The long ride out of the harbor is discouraging and the closures that are in effect just south of the harbor. The conditions for being on the water were outstanding. Bait barge had both Anchovies and Sardines. Anchovies were lively and good size. Sardines were large.

Air temp above 75 degrees, Water Temp 70 degrees in the harbor, 66.5 degrees outside the harbor. We worked a number of area ending up on the Newport Pipe near the bend at about 11 am. High tide was 1:33. We stayed on this sight through the Hide Tide. Fishing broke open about 15 minutes after hide tide. Lots of Calico bass.

At this location: Depth was 51 feet. Water temp 65.4 degrees. 1 foot waves and 2 foot swell about 10 -15 seconds. It was great!!!

My wife and i each hooked into something very large and fought each for 15 minutes before losing both. They seemed to pull us in to the rocks and kelp during a couple of wild runs during the fight.

My wife did hook a beautiful Black Sea bass which looked to be 8 - 10 lbs. Of the 23 species we have charted this was our first Black Sea Bass. We were surprised at how the color was more brown and goldish than black. The spots were black. We tried to get a quick picture with our cell phones but they did not turn out. Released without bringing the fish out of the water.

I make my own chum and we use chum buckets on every trip. We started this practice recently and feel it does add to our success. We saw a very large fish almost immediately after getting the chum bucket rigged in the water. At first by color i thought it might be a small shark. Had very Tan and white coloring. But if looked nearly oval shaped. Almost the shape of the opaleye but not same color. We were just getting our gear in the water so after about 5 minutes of hanging around the Chum bucket .....it left and we never saw it again.

Sorry for the extra BS. We hooked and released 10 -12 Calico Bass. Bite was over about 2 hours after High Tide.

Tight Lines and God Bless you all!!!

Cadillyak
08-08-2012, 12:28 PM
very detailed report. Thanks for the read. Glad you and the wife got on some fish.

DockRat
08-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the report. Chum is the way to go. Brought some chum last thursday to PV kelp, PM time.
Had lots of Smelt behind the boat and a few short Cudas breezed by. Fished the bottom with 8"
Dines for a skunk on anchor in 30' water, my buddy got a 18" Sand Bass on a squid chunk.
DR

JapanRon
08-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Hi JL,

Nice report and gotta be good getting somewhere cooler !!

JapanRon