PDA

View Full Version : On the Fly - NPH

Dci4me
08-07-2012, 09:08 PM
I am thinking about going to NPH on Monday to beat the heat and break in my new TFO/WLX combo. I have never taken the fly rod to NPH and was wondering what to expect. I would be running a sinking line and using typical baitfish patterns and streamers. Generally speaking, what range of depth do I want to be fishing? I will be fishing from a tube. Any suggestions on patterns would also be appreciated. Hopefully I can post a good report Monday evening. Since the site went down I haven't had any reports.

Thanks!

Dci4me
08-11-2012, 10:51 AM
36783Looks like I am going to have to figure this one out on my own. I am deciding to bring out a spinning outfit as well as the fly outfit. Just got back from Home Depot with PVC.... Time to make a single rod holder for the tube. I will post pics of the pvc rod holder once it is finished. It is already 95 out this morning so I may not get to it until the wee hours of the nights once it cools down. Here are the flies, plastics, and lures I am bringing out with me Monday for NPH.

WARRIORMIKE
08-11-2012, 11:57 AM
Leave the wooly buggers at home. Swing by His and Hers Fly shop in costa mesa. Hes got the latest flys for fishing the bay

Fishnfun
08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
I fly fished NPH from a skiff twice and skunked both times. So, I'm definitely no expert. I used a 6 wt and about a 200 gr sinking line. I was casting clouser minnow flies. Try casting near the life guard station and between the docks. The toughest part of fishing NPH is the current. The fishing is best with a heavy in or out current. But, with the heavy current, it was hard holding the skiff in one spot before drifting off. Good luck and have fun!

WARRIORMIKE
08-11-2012, 02:56 PM
I fly fished NPH from a skiff twice and skunked both times. So, I'm definitely no expert. I used a 6 wt and about a 200 gr sinking line. I was casting clouser minnow flies. Try casting near the life guard station and between the docks. The toughest part of fishing NPH is the current. The fishing is best with a heavy in or out current. But, with the heavy current, it was hard holding the skiff in one spot before drifting off. Good luck and have fun!

Just got to find the fish. Dont give up.