PDA

View Full Version : Shoot fish, rinse, repeat...

Skyler
08-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Big Bear as usual. Shot eight in about three hours. Didn't do the play by play fish pics because I was up to my waist in water and weeds the whole time...

http://s18.postimage.org/zane5jxl5/IMG591.jpg

Cooked up a nice ten pounder...

Before:

http://s18.postimage.org/v2slwsw5l/IMG593.jpg

After:

http://s18.postimage.org/dx5yegbt5/IMG594.jpg

The fish are lucky it's time to start gearing up for hunting season. This will probably be my last trip this year. Hopefully they didn't warn the deer.

Ifishtoolittle
08-06-2012, 05:56 PM
This is the first post that I have ever seen of where some one actually cooked, ate, and not wasted a CARP! How did the giant goldfish fare? Any redeeming qualities to the meat?

Skyler
08-06-2012, 06:49 PM
This is the first post that I have ever seen of where some one actually cooked, ate, and not wasted a CARP! How did the giant goldfish fare? Any redeeming qualities to the meat?

I always eat carp. They taste fine. Standard white meat. Not the firmest, but not completely mushy either. The only real problem is the bones. The damn things have bones inside their bones that are attached to bones, which are covered in bones, which fork off into more bones. And once you think you got 'em all, you bite into a bone. But once you learn their skeletal system, you can dine on them with minimal puncture wounds, lol. Now granted, I don't eat every carp I shoot. I shoot so many, I could never eat 'em all. But they are always put to some use, whether they are chopped up for chum, used as coyote bait, turned into fertilizer, or ground up and fed to a dog.

Give it a try though. You'll find they aren't as bad as everyone says they are. Protip: soak the meat in milk overnight and it will be firmer and cleaner tasting.

old pudd fisher
08-06-2012, 08:08 PM
I like your style skyler, glad nothing is wasted. I shot a wild pigeon with my BB Gun in the orange grove behind our house when I was ten and cooked it. But don't think I will eat a carp.

fishinarteest
08-06-2012, 08:29 PM
I always eat carp. They taste fine. Standard white meat. Not the firmest, but not completely mushy either. The only real problem is the bones. The damn things have bones inside their bones that are attached to bones, which are covered in bones, which fork off into more bones. And once you think you got 'em all, you bite into a bone. But once you learn their skeletal system, you can dine on them with minimal puncture wounds, lol. Now granted, I don't eat every carp I shoot. I shoot so many, I could never eat 'em all. But they are always put to some use, whether they are chopped up for chum, used as coyote bait, turned into fertilizer, or ground up and fed to a dog.

Give it a try though. You'll find they aren't as bad as everyone says they are. Protip: soak the meat in milk overnight and it will be firmer and cleaner tasting.

Your right carp is very good. especially when you catch them out of a city park lake after you have just"liberated" 2limits of trout

Skyler
08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I like your style skyler, glad nothing is wasted. I shot a wild pigeon with my BB Gun in the orange grove behind our house when I was ten and cooked it. But don't think I will eat a carp.

Pigeon is good stuff. I can't wait until the dove season opens next month. Been craving some bacon wrapped breast meat.

technician
08-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Pretty cool post dude, don't know about eating carp though but to each there own

carpanglerdude
08-07-2012, 03:29 PM

I'm impressed. Most forum threads I've seen by people using bows to hunt carp on other forums end with the carp being left on the shoreline or dumped into trash cans. Thank you for leaving a positive impression!

Skyler
08-07-2012, 04:33 PM
I'm impressed. Most forum threads I've seen by people using bows to hunt carp on other forums end with the carp being left on the shoreline or dumped into trash cans. Thank you for leaving a positive impression!

If I see someone dumping on shore, I call CalTip. There are laws in place that prohibit this for a reason. As for the trash cans, every trash can up there has "NO FISH" stenciled on it, lol. I wonder why?

Either way, if I can't find a use for them, I take 'em out and dump 'em in the hills. Every time I come back to my spot to dump more, the old ones have either been eaten or dragged away. Should make for some good coyote hunting next year...

Anglerism
08-07-2012, 05:58 PM
You are so right on the bones! bones and more bones!! You got mail.

reelgurlzfish
08-09-2012, 06:47 PM
i know nothing about carp. told there is a lot in the city lakes but have yet to hook one. any regs on them ?

seal
08-09-2012, 07:50 PM

Carp take is an issue cause there is no way that you are going to be able to consume the amount of fish that need to be taken to control the population. So you get purist preaching about waste, what is waste? Is it ok to use them as fertilizer, is that waste? Tough call when most of us wish not to waste but the take that should occur to control the carp population does not happen cause nobody wants to waste but carp have a very detrimental affect on the more popular sportfishing species.

Sorry Skyler if I've jumped over the cliff on this one!