PDA

View Full Version : Very random questions I need answered... Legality and effectiveness.

LuckyCraft420
08-04-2012, 11:53 PM
I'm going up to Helendale again in a few weeks to target some trout. Last time I was there I could see te trout swimming close to shore. But I was told by several locals that the bite had been off due to the spawning. I'm sure by now the spawn is over, but the water temp has to be getting higher which will slow down the action. My questions (finally). Would throwing 2'x1'x1' ice blocks in the water create a big enough water temperature change to enhance the bite? And would that be illegal..?

Luckily the lake is plentiful with 1-2lb bluegil, so the trip wasn't a complete lose.

ibom
08-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Simply put no. 1 block of ice will not chill a section of water and attract fish. Thats like trying to chill a 36 pack of beers with 1 ice cube. Even if u did manage to drop the temp of the lake by a few degrees some how, you would mostly stress the fish out which would kill any chance you had to begin with. Sudden temp changes mess with the fish bad.

Thisfool
08-05-2012, 12:49 AM
Simply put no. 1 block of ice will not chill a section of water and attract fish. Thats like trying to chill a 36 pack of beers with 1 ice cube. Even if u did manage to drop the temp of the lake by a few degrees some how, you would mostly stress the fish out which would kill any chance you had to begin with. Sudden temp changes mess with the fish bad.

yup you would need a crazy amount of ice.

try to go on the cooler days, fish slower and in deeper water

LuckyCraft420
08-05-2012, 01:00 AM
"ice blocks"

My friend that has a house on the lake has an industrial freezer, we can throw 10+ in the back of the truck no problem.

He hasn't bought a boat yet, so that's not an option. Also it's not really up to me on how the weather will be on my birthday weekend, but I will be fishing regardless of how hot it is. This time I'll remember the sun screen.

Thisfool
08-05-2012, 01:18 AM
"ice blocks"

My friend that has a house on the lake has an industrial freezer, we can throw 10+ in the back of the truck no problem.

He hasn't bought a boat yet, so that's not an option. Also it's not really up to me on how the weather will be on my birthday weekend, but I will be fishing regardless of how hot it is. This time I'll remember the sun screen.

well even 10 blocks wont be enough if anything you will just shock the area you toss them in

Viejo
08-05-2012, 05:27 AM
"Would throwing 2'x1'x1' ice blocks in the water create a big enough water temperature change to enhance the bite? And would that be illegal..?"

No to both but it would make a viral YouTube video!

LuckyCraft420
08-05-2012, 01:11 PM
"Would throwing 2'x1'x1' ice blocks in the water create a big enough water temperature change to enhance the bite? And would that be illegal..?"

No to both but it would make a viral YouTube video!

Thank you. If I get too drunk and decide to try it anyway, I'll set up the video camera

DockRat
08-05-2012, 08:19 PM
Lol, Cool the lake. Try dumping 10 ice blocks in a swimming pool as a test. Lol
Try mounting a generator and a big chiller on a truck.
DR

http://i382.photobucket.com/albums/oo263/k4ntun_eve/chiller.jpg