PDA

View Full Version : Castaic 08/04/2012

christopherstellar
08-04-2012, 04:56 PM
After being inspired by the forum, I got my butt up this morning at 4:00 am even though I was hung over from the Dodger game. I wanted to see just what this striper boil stuff is all about. I have to say I have lived in So Cal on and off for the last 25 years and I had never seen it or fished it. Got to the gate around 5:30 and waited for the gate to open. I noticed the area seemed a bit damp, and upon talking to several locals found out it had rained like a mother yesterday, along with thunder and lightening. I launched with no issue and noticed the water temp was around 76. As I make my run over to the east end of the lake I began to notice the stripers boiling in the middle of the lake, and I thought GAME ON! I threw everything at them, Zara Spook, Rattle Traps, Calabama Rig, Flukes, etc, and I got NADA! After about 90 minutes of getting pissed I thought, screw them, I'm going shallow in search of their cousins. This is where I learned my lesson. After marking tons of bait on the electronics I finally saw the shad and they are tiny! I'm talking like maybe 2 inches long. After scrounging my tackle box I finally found a bag of JACKALL clone fry and proceed to fly line it nose hooked on a #4 Owner Mosquito hook and begin hammering the largemouth. It was wide open until about 10:00 am until the skiers just took over. Here is a pic of my best largemouth, a little over 4 lbs. I have to give my respect to those stripers, they acted like wild trout in a spring fed stream, you have to match the hatch to be successful. I will be back to tomorrow and hopefully I can exact some revenge!

trail blazer
08-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Nice report,,,,,THANKS,,

Boil chasing is no slam dunk like 1 would assume,,,,,,BUT IT IS OFF THE HOOK EXITING!!!!!

Stay with it bro,,,,,once you get it down you,l be hook,d forever.

T/B

fishinone
08-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the report.

Did job beating the skunk.

It sounds like you could be on the right track. You might try the same lure for the striper. You could use a casting bubble too get distance.

christopherstellar
08-04-2012, 08:50 PM
Great tip, and if you guys are out tomorrow I will be on my 17 ft Lowe bass boat. Tight lines.....

Hitts0n
08-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Nice large mouth !! Beat the skunk !

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-06-2012, 10:05 AM
Sorry you had a rough time but that has been par for the course, I think many have been disolutioned that the fishing is easy….it sure aint….much much hard work goes into each hookup..

Tequnique

Boat control

rational thought must all fall in place.. as to not making noise with motor or otherwise

Run n’ gun does NOT work on these fish

Then the perfect cast

As far as baitfish

Don’t be fooled, I’ve seen schools of 4” shad on many days, not all the bait is small.

I catch my fish on a 5” lure continually but I’m not targeting the smaller fish..

Glad you shook the skunk..

Congrats on the LMB