PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Surf Calico

frankjz
08-04-2012, 10:17 AM
Hey guys,

I've been fishing here and there, now and then, and I've caught some short butts and some long perch and some incidentals along the way. I've either forgotten to take a snapshot or forgotten my camera or...well, there are other reasons for not posting but I forget what they are.

In any case, I was out on Thursday at about 6 a.m. Deep overcast but fairly clean surf conditions. I caught a couple perch, then walked and cast closer to better structure and swapped out my LC to a zebra sardine and immediately caught this pretty calico at about 18". I'm using a new line recommended by nippletwister, 40# braid PowerPro, so this guy was a cinch to pull in. He did give a decent struggle, don't get me wrong, but he's not exactly the 50+ inches SWB you guys have been posting.

Anyway, I let him go gently back to his brethren in the kelp like the gigantic calico caught by Albert a few weeks ago, which I'm reposting here because it's just too damn magnificent of a fish and lurks now in my subconscious forever. Incredible fish, Albert, just remarkable. Big praise to you.

I called it a day at about 10 a.m. I'm still searching for my legal halibut and will report that post haste when it happens. Cheers until then.

fz

Ifishtoolittle
08-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Gorgeous Checker. WTG!

tree
08-04-2012, 02:28 PM
wowowow big fish!

fishshep
08-04-2012, 02:39 PM
MAAN !!!! That is one big Bass :Shocked:

Never caught one off a jetty that big :Surprised:

Hope ya post a Legal soon :Smile:

But anything but LIZARD Fish is good anyways :LOL:

bachiboy
08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Although Albert's fish is a BEAST, you got yourself a really good looking fish there yourself FZ! Any surf caught calico, on artificials, is quite an achievement in my book. :Wink:

Congrats!
Don

frankjz
08-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Hey thanks, Don, I appreciate it.

Wingnut
08-06-2012, 03:15 PM
Very nice Calico Frank. :Big Grin:
Don't worry, you will get your legal Halibut soon. :Wink:
I miss the surf, haven't been in the suds for a couple of months. :Neutral:

DockRat
08-06-2012, 06:51 PM
Conrats on the big surf Calico. XLNT Job. :Applause:
DR

frankjz
08-07-2012, 11:04 AM
Hey thanks, Arthur. I'm confident, too, that by the end of the season, I'll be shishkobobing halibut. Two months out of the suds, wow! That's a super long time for a pro like you. I hope you get your booties wet soon.

fz