PDA

View Full Version : FISHING BOILS, with Khanh 8/3/2012

fishinone
08-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Khanh and I both had vacation days today and managed to get out to Castaic to chase some boils.

First thing in the morning the fish were popping on scattered shad all over the place. We cast to many many rises. Khanh got a couple bumps on a KPN Mini Shad. I changed lures until I found something that they would hit for me. I put on a size 7 Husky Jerk and got hit but didn't hook up. I tried letting it suspend with a slack line. All of the slack suddenly disappeared. Still no hook up.

We gave up on the scattered rises and went looking for boils. Down near Elizabeth Canyon Khanh hooked and landed a mini striper on a tiny casting spoon. It weighed maybe 1.25 lb. He wasn't sure if he would keep it but we figured that we probably wouldn't limit out today and it would taste just fine.

We stopped in a spot and waited for a boil we had seen to come back up with a few boats around. Just as it popped up some guy in a rental boat motored straight through it. I think he actually veered off to hit it. They came up again out in front of him and he motored straight through it again. I think the rest of us injured our jaws on the floors of our boats. He didn't catch a thing but he did put the first two boils that I was close to today, down, moments after they came up.

We cruised around the whole Ski Arm without seeing what we were looking for. Finally we stopped and waited in the middle of lake where we could see all over. It wasn't long and a big boil popped up, right in front of us. We motored over carefully and hooked up a double. We put the hooked up poles in the rod holders and grabbed other poles and cast right back out. I cast an A-rig in there 3 times and didn't get single hit. Khanh didn't get another hit either. When they went down, we grabbed the poles out of the rod holders and landed our fish. Khanh's was about 4 lb mine was 5.85 lb. I switched that A-rig out for a KPN Mini Shad as soon as I could. It took awhile because those pesky fish kept coming back up.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20boils%20with%20Khanh%208-3-2012/IMAG0140-1.jpg

Here's the big fish of the day. It was caught on my KPN Micro Shad. I asked Khanh to make these last year when the fish were keyed on smaller shad. Thank you buddy, they work great! I finally got one into a boil. I'm sorry it took me so long.

Highwaypig and his son, came over and fished that school with us as they worked down the lake popping up about every 50 yards. We worked several schools with them for about an hour before the "Boil Hoards" caught on to us. We all had a great time.

When the hoards showed up it got much more dicey. Do you realize that if you run a bass boat straight at a boil at 45 mph, you can cut your motor and cast into the boil, before your boat settles right in the middle of it!

We had guys cutting between 4 boats surrounding a boil at casting distance and running right up on them. There was plenty of room between the boats to stop at casting distance and get on them. That's the way the rest of the day went.

Khanh and I managed to boat 7 1/4 fish today before the thunderstorms drove us off the lake.

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20boils%20with%20Khanh%208-3-2012/IMAG0144.jpg

Here is, Master Lure Maker ,Khanh of KPN Lures. I don't know why he didn't want a picture with his other 1/4 fish.:Shocked:

http://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq265/fishinone/Fishing%20boils%20with%20Khanh%208-3-2012/IMAG0142.jpg

All of our decent fish today were caught on KPN topwater lures. One was caught on the Micro Shad. The Rest on KPN Mini Shads.

Thank you Khanh for fishing with me today.

It was a good day! I can't wait to go back!

cutbait
08-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Way to go boys!

What a memorable day huh?

Can't help but notice that's a whaler behind you??????? You be hacking accounts?

fishinone
08-03-2012, 07:28 PM
Way to go boys!

What a memorable day huh?

Can't help but notice that's a whaler behind you??????? You be hacking accounts?

LOL. I hope people take that stuff with a grain if salt. Some poor sap with a whaler could be in trouble without having anything to do with it.

fishincrave
08-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Nice going dooooode things are looking up ............. can't wait to hit that lake with you again ..

Sean

koifish
08-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Ron

nice catch...wait for me, i'll be back on monday.

fishinone
08-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Nice going dooooode things are looking up ............. can't wait to hit that lake with you again ..

Sean

We'll have to do that soon.

Ron

nice catch...wait for me, i'll be back on monday.

LOL! Sorry, I can't wait of the striper don't wait.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The boils sound last a while.

Hitts0n
08-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Like OG Bones say " Kill kill kill slay slay slay !!!!" Beautiful !!!

trail blazer
08-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Nice going my friends,,,,,,,good,n s there for sure.

Great to see kahn surface again,,,,,,,tell him i said hy,,,,,,il be contacting him again soon for some more of those T,W lures of his,,,,,,Mine are getting beat up bad,,,,paint chiping and such but still putting down those stripers ,,,,,,,,,LOVE,M

See ya down there again soon im sure ron,

T/B

fishinone
08-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Like OG Bones say " Kill kill kill slay slay slay !!!!" Beautiful !!!

Thanks Hitts we wound up with plenty of fresh plate striper. Who is OG Bones?

Nice going my friends,,,,,,,good,n s there for sure.

Great to see kahn surface again,,,,,,,tell him i said hy,,,,,,il be contacting him again soon for some more of those T,W lures of his,,,,,,Mine are getting beat up bad,,,,paint chiping and such but still putting down those stripers ,,,,,,,,,LOVE,M

See ya down there again soon im sure ron,

T/B

Thanks T/B, I think we missed the wide open bite but fishing was still good. I wanted to stay a all day but after being soaked I knew my back would quit on me.

You should call Khanh soon for those lures. They've become a hot item lately. I guess the duct is tougher on those lures than open water. Without having to worry about concrete, mine last and last.

I went back out this evening to try ths evening bite. I fished from 4:30 to 7:30. I got one little striper down by the buoy line, out of light boils.

I didn't see any boils of larger fish.

Fishthewhaler
08-05-2012, 08:57 AM
LOL. I hope people take that stuff with a grain if salt. Some poor sap with a whaler could be in trouble without having anything to do with it.poor sap could be me...
Yea, that poor sap could be me...Only I'm in a 13' and haven't fished in 2 monthsLOL, bitten by a black widow spider....I will be out there monday morn in pursuit!
Nice report...
FTW

Marley
08-05-2012, 09:34 AM
poor sap could be me...
Yea, that poor sap could be me...Only I'm in a 13' and haven't fished in 2 monthsLOL, bitten by a black widow spider....I will be out there monday morn in pursuit!
Nice report...
FTW

OMG, two people on my crew of nine have been bitten by those this year, as well as a friend next door. All three totally unrelated, miles apart. UGLY bite, but sounds like you're getting better. What the heck is up with those things this year?

Back to fishing, you guys all make those stripers sound like so much fun to catch, I have to get out and give it a try!

fishinone
08-05-2012, 10:31 AM
poor sap could be me...
Nice report...
FTW

Ouch!

I was been on the back last year while I was in bed asleep. I can only guess that it was a black widow from the effects. I got sick for a few days and a chunk of my back died and fell out it took a long time.

I hope your recovering quickly.

Good luck out there on Monday.

Fishthewhaler
08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Ouch!

I was been on the back last year while I was in bed asleep. I can only guess that it was a black widow from the effects. I got sick for a few days and a chunk of my back died and fell out it took a long time.

I hope your recovering quickly.

Good luck out there on Monday.
Thats pretty much what happened to me. I had a fever for 8 days.. and body aches for 5 weeks. Still waiting for the bite wound to heal.
Fishing seems to be hot right now, plus I am saving for a san diego 1 1/2 day trip..Bites On!
Thanks for your reports
FTW

fishinone
08-05-2012, 01:55 PM
OMG, two people on my crew of nine have been bitten by those this year, as well as a friend next door. All three totally unrelated, miles apart. UGLY bite, but sounds like you're getting better. What the heck is up with those things this year?

Back to fishing, you guys all make those stripers sound like so much fun to catch, I have to get out and give it a try!

It is fun. Khanh and I were talking about fishing boils compared to bait fishing. We generally catch more fish with bait but fishing boils is so much fun that we do it anyway.

fishinone
08-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Thats pretty much what happened to me. I had a fever for 8 days.. and body aches for 5 weeks. Still waiting for the bite wound to heal.
Fishing seems to be hot right now, plus I am saving for a san diego 1 1/2 day trip..Bites On!
Thanks for your reports
FTW

Oh. Don't mess with the sore. I messed with mine trying to get it to drain. It made me sick again.

Your welcome, the reports are my pleasure.

TroutOnly
08-05-2012, 06:09 PM
BOIL FISHING IS SO EASY EVEN A RON COULD DO IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CARPBOY MADE ME SAY IT HE BLACKMAILED ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

fishinone
08-05-2012, 07:25 PM
BOIL FISHING IS SO EASY EVEN A RON COULD DO IT,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,CARPBOY MADE ME SAY IT HE BLACKMAILED ME,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,,,

THAT'S REALLY MEAN OF CARPBOY, TO MAKE YOU DO SOMETHING THAT'S SO OPPOSED TO YOUR NATURAL SELF!

Its true though! You fellas are not in great company.

T/O who's watching you tho make sure you stay out of trouble?

Big Daddy
08-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Great job Ron and Kahn you killers. Nice batch of fish boy's.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-06-2012, 09:56 AM
Ron & Khan, nice seeing and talking to you guys in line..

Congrats on the catches, it’s some hard work out there, especially when you have many boats continually squash out the prospects…repeatedly, it’s gotten to be quite an issue.

I would wish that people would think more than just gassing into some fish, it ruins their shot at them and everyone elses..

But you guys still managed some fish…saweet…

I only landed 2 b4 work and 2 after work that day, it’s been some tuff conditions..

P.S.
I went out yesterday and at least 3 times I counted 13 boats converging in a 80’ circle…

Don’t know how things are gonna get better other than edjucating the masses on what “Not to do” as it’s getting worse ….

Glad U got ur slay on…looks like taco time

Nice work,
Gary

fishinone
08-06-2012, 11:22 AM
Great job Ron and Kahn you killers. Nice batch of fish boy's.

Thank you Big Daddy, we'll take that as high praise.:Smile:

Ron & Khan, nice seeing and talking to you guys in line..

Congrats on the catches, it’s some hard work out there, especially when you have many boats continually squash out the prospects…repeatedly, it’s gotten to be quite an issue.

I would wish that people would think more than just gassing into some fish, it ruins their shot at them and everyone elses..

But you guys still managed some fish…saweet…

I only landed 2 b4 work and 2 after work that day, it’s been some tuff conditions..

P.S.
I went out yesterday and at least 3 times I counted 13 boats converging in a 80’ circle…

Don’t know how things are gonna get better other than edjucating the masses on what “Not to do” as it’s getting worse ….

Glad U got ur slay on…looks like taco time

Nice work,
Gary

Thanks Gary.

You have an excellent point regarding courtesy and thinking.

We got our fish by finding our own boils, even near the "Boil Hoards" but one chance is all you get when you are near them. I messed up a couple casts and there were no second chances. We stayed back and didn't crash the boils that others were near but it didn't make much difference, somebody crashed them anyway!