PDA

View Full Version : 8-1-12 report

mayjeffc
08-03-2012, 12:17 PM
Got the tin boat out after doing my own reseal job. Got on the water at about 7am. Started out on a spot that I lucked out on during the last trip. Threw on the robo purple smoke with a curl tail dropshot rigged and got started. I knew that last time I killed them just outside the weed line so after a couple casts I found the edge and went to work. After a couple casts I had a fish on. He fought hard and then all of a sudden he stopped and my line was hooked on the bottom of the lake. :mad: I let the line go entirely slacked and felt absolutely no fight on the other end other than a tree or weeds. I pulled the boat over and started to pull my line up. As I surfaced my 10lbs of weeds I also noticed 3lbs of an extremely exausted fish buried in a bunch of grass and still very much on the hook:Big Grin: I have never hooked a fish in this fashion before, but was excited to take the first fish of the day. Shortly after my co-pilot pulled one in that was a little bit bigger and just as angry. We cruised around the lake and jumped quite a few spots since we were only gonna be on the water for a few hours. We hit the Bernasconi side with no luck for a bit and then all of a sudden my partner caught his second matching the size of his first and 1lber back to back.:Envious: We then hit the back side of the island where I had another swamp monster hook up in the weeds similar to my first hook up only a little smaller fish. My partner also caught another good one on the back side of the island shortly after. We gave it a few more minutes and called it a day. I could be wrong but it seemed like everywhere we went, we were the only ones hooking up. Pretty fun morning and a great first trip out with my repaired boat. We finally got to get the boats first blood and plan to go again soon.Here are my fish 3662936630 Below are my partners fish.

fishmounter
08-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Nice! Way to go on those bass. Hey what kind of boat is that?

mayjeffc
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Not sure what name brand the boat itself is, but it is 12' and has a johnson 6hp 2 stroke engine. It's pretty old. I bought it off of a guy and paid $600 for the boat, engine and trailer all together. Still leaks a little, but it was a good deal and starts right up. I did watch a guy that I'm assuming paid close to 20k or more for his bass boat sit at the launch and I don't think his ever started. Mine leaks and probably doesn't break 10mph but I did get to fish LOL.

fishmounter
08-03-2012, 07:23 PM
On my old 12 foot aluminum boat I had a 1972 4 hp Evinrude, and if I distributed my weight right, like sit in the middle seat and steer with an extension handle, and had the motor at the correct angle, that little boat did 15 mph easy. You should be able to do the same with a larger 6 hp, just don't have a lot of weight in the boat. You have to fish alone...Ha!