PDA

View Full Version : Slow bite but LMB's are on the chew

FrazeIb1
08-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Went fishing to DVL this AM. Got on the lake at 0645. The water tempature was 79 degrees. Wind was mild 0-5 mph. Started off my morning throwing topwater. Got 2 LMB's to take the offering. 1 for 3lbs and another for 5 lbs. There are alot of shad in the water and the bass were locked in on them. The shad are very small. Saw a few boils so I put on my swimbait. No takers on the swimbait but I did have a few followers. There are alot of small bass 1-2 lbs eating shad like crazy. As the morning progressed I switched over to my go to bait (Carolina Rig). After several casts I finally figured out how the bass wanted the bait presented.

Fishing on secondary points, I caught (4) nice keepers back to back in 30-40 ft. of water. The bass feed shallow early but when the sun comes out they go deep and head for cover because of the hot weather. If you can find structure in deep water you will find the bass. I have a favorite color that always produces solid keepers for me at DVL. The colors that work well are Greens, Black, Browns, Orange, Reds, Blues ect. Now I know you want to know which color works for me but I just mentioned it......How did I find this color? Well, they all work but bass fishing is about confidence, presentation, location and technique.........I gotta admit, it was a little slow at first but when you find the pattern for the day you can move from location to location on the lake and catch fish......

This was my second time fishing in 3 weeks. I have been staying at home because of the warm weather. Looks like I will have to start fishing my normal 15 times a month again. Now that the shad is up the fishing is definately going to explode......

Get out there and get em'.

Until next time,

Tight lines........

Hotbite909
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the report. It sound like the bite is getting better then a few months ago when I went last. I have not been going their because I am too lazy to get up earlier in the morning to wait in line. Ha Ha! I have been hitting perris for some decent bass in the 7lb range on green and browns plastic along with the gills in the mix. But I have to admit that I never thought orange would work on bass. I will have to try it! Thanks for the color tips and maybe this weekend I will go because I like to hit topwater in the morning.

skunkmaster
08-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Good report! Can't seem to get the c-rig bite going at all. In fact I don't think I've got a single c-rig fish from DVL this season. Are you dragging it super slow?

FrazeIb1
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Hey Hotbite,

You will be suprised what colors will work. Believe me there are colors that you never would think of that will work.......try different things and create your own go to color....

FrazeIb1
08-02-2012, 07:09 PM
Good report! Can't seem to get the c-rig bite going at all. In fact I don't think I've got a single c-rig fish from DVL this season. Are you dragging it super slow?

Skunkmaster,

You have to let the fish tell you the speed of the bait. If your'e not getting them, working it at whatever speed you have to do something different. Once you get bit, repeat the retrieve......

FishinMishin
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM
thanks for the report and tips, I could never get deep water bite nothing under 15ft tried it out lots of times always ending up hitting the banks and getting them there.
I'll be out there Saturday trying it again hope i could put the hammer down.

"FISH ON"

Pooldude
08-03-2012, 08:33 AM
Hi:

I was curious if you fish alone, & if so, would you like a "back seater" on occasion?

I too fish DVL quite often (for the past year) but I've never really been with anyone that knows the lake well. Besides that, I just enjoy the company of a fellow angler. The electronics on my boat need upgrading bad & I'm in the process of doing that now. I just purchased a new 998c HD "down/side" scan Humminbird unit for my console but I've not had it installed yet. I'm holding off until I can save up enough for a new unit for the bow as well. Figured I'd wait until I can have them both installed at the same time! Without good electronics it's really hard to find that deeper structure, especially when you don't know where to look!

I've recently retired, live in the area as well, so I'm available just about anytime. If you would like to hook up one of these days just let me know.

I look forward to it.... Jim

Hog Caller
08-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Fraze is right about the colors. Fished there yesterday and got senko fish early and dropshot and c-rigs later just like he said. The one thing I couldn't believe was my buddy catching them on a bubble gum senko.
Some of them puked up redish orange crawfish when they hit the boat just like at Perris last weekend. Therefore you gotta figure that orange and brown can,will and did work for us as well.

Brent

FrazeIb1
08-03-2012, 12:03 PM
FishinMishin,

The fish do live in different depths in the water column.......but you have to fish where you have confidence to fish. The fish also frequent the bank because there are lots of cover for them to hide in and ambush bait as they swim by.......

FrazeIb1
08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
Hi:

I was curious if you fish alone, & if so, would you like a "back seater" on occasion?

I too fish DVL quite often (for the past year) but I've never really been with anyone that knows the lake well. Besides that, I just enjoy the company of a fellow angler. The electronics on my boat need upgrading bad & I'm in the process of doing that now. I just purchased a new 998c HD "down/side" scan Humminbird unit for my console but I've not had it installed yet. I'm holding off until I can save up enough for a new unit for the bow as well. Figured I'd wait until I can have them both installed at the same time! Without good electronics it's really hard to find that deeper structure, especially when you don't know where to look!

I've recently retired, live in the area as well, so I'm available just about anytime. If you would like to hook up one of these days just let me know.

I look forward to it.... Jim

Pooldude,

I fish both alone and with a few partners that I have. I also do a little tournament fishing and I'm so looking forward to this years ABA and NBW tournaments. I try to learn something new everytime I go fishing. I have learned that you cannot be a one method fisherman. One of these days I might just invite you out......

FrazeIb1
08-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Fraze is right about the colors. Fished there yesterday and got senko fish early and dropshot and c-rigs later just like he said. The one thing I couldn't believe was my buddy catching them on a bubble gum senko.
Some of them puked up redish orange crawfish when they hit the boat just like at Perris last weekend. Therefore you gotta figure that orange and brown can,will and did work for us as well.

Brent

HogCaller,

Besides bluegill and trout, crawfish are a bass' favorite meal and they are an easy meal. Crawfish vary in color for a few reasons but if you mimic the crawfish color you will be successful catching some LMB's........

HawgStalker
08-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Nice report! Ive been trying to get a topwater fish all summer.... Nothing better than hanging fish on topwater! Oh well, just gotta keep trying..... Sure wish I had a boat!

Thanks for the report!

good kentucky
08-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the report! I get to fish in about two weeks, hopefully shad boil explodes!

FrazeIb1
08-04-2012, 03:16 PM
Thanks for the report! I get to fish in about two weeks, hopefully shad boil explodes!

And when it does, the LMB and striper will be on a feeding frenzy........

Pooldude
08-12-2012, 12:16 PM
That would be great; look forward to it.