PDA

View Full Version : Fishing and Camping in the Mammoth area.

Carlos N
08-02-2012, 02:30 PM
Have never fished Lake Mary, or any of the mammoths lakes, I'm thinking about this and would stay at cold water creek camp ground with a 26 ft fifth wheel 2 slide outs. Any advice on this camp ground and fishing those lakes?

Carlos n

Fresh One !!!
08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Some advice.. Dont let your food out unprotected... Bears :) When fishing use 2 to 4 lb test with a 2 lb leader and trout worms, garlic powerbait, or red and gold Thomas Bouyant.. i prefer to use cast a bubbles for weight as opposed to actual lead weights.. your preference though.. i think the bubbles offer a more slow & delicate decent that the lead..Good Luck

hookset
08-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Beautiful area, just got back. As for campgrounds, more of the areas spots are reserved so first come first served sites were much in demand. If you don't have reservations get to the campgrounds early, and don't expect to show up on the weekends and find an open place. The bigger your rig, the more difficult it can be to find a suitable space. With the campgrounds moving more spaces to reservations, it really limits your ability to just take off on a camping trip :Sad:. I can't always schedule my get away that far in advance.

Bears for sure. Saw at least one every day there. I had a momma and her cubs crawling around the canoe outside at 3 in the morning looking around. Just being curious and checking things out. Use the bear box. If you don't have food out, they just keep passing through without bothering you.

The mammoth shuttle is pretty nice too. You can hop on the trolley and travel around the area without having to drive. They will even haul your bicycle to the top of the mountain, let you coast down and then drag you back up to the top.

Good luck and have fun!

Carlos N
08-04-2012, 08:19 AM
Some advice.. Dont let your food out unprotected... Bears :) When fishing use 2 to 4 lb test with a 2 lb leader and trout worms, garlic powerbait, or red and gold Thomas Bouyant.. i prefer to use cast a bubbles for weight as opposed to actual lead weights.. your preference though.. i think the bubbles offer a more slow & delicate decent that the lead..Good Luck

thanks for info, carlos n