PDA

View Full Version : need some feedback re Big Bear Lake

Breaking Bass
08-01-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi everybody,

I'll be heading up to BBL this weekend and was hoping to get some feedback on a few things since I've never been up there. I will attempt to fish for bass from the shore but I've never fished this place and was hoping somebody would point me in the right direction as to potential spots and patterns. [Thanks goes out to "etaggart" for his feedback last week].

Secondly, I'm heading up w/my wife, daughter (pre-teen) and her best friend. Aside from fishing, what else is there to do that would help keep this finicky bunch entertained? I could google this but I'd rather hear from you guys to get an idea what has worked for your family.

thx!

billy b
08-01-2012, 08:49 AM
Sorry I don't know bass fishing. But as far as entertainment:
Check out the Alpine Slide at the east end of town just as you comed to the 'S' turns leading into down. It's has 2 lanes for fast or slow (you control the speed) down hill bobsledding type experience ... also used to have a water slide
Also take the ski lift up to the top of the hill for a great view and a hot dog lunch.
There's always bikes to fent (zzzz)
Breakfast at the Grizzly Manor is a unique experience if you like that kind of thing. Chinese food at the airport west of down town.
La Paz (cute name) is a good hole-in-the wall for mexican food. Clean and small ... but great for fast food and take out.
You can always do the tourist thing and walk the village and spend money ... Jaqalitos for mexican and Boo Bears for burgers

Hope that's some help. I'm sure others will chime in.

Breaking Bass
08-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Sorry I don't know bass fishing. But as far as entertainment:
Check out the Alpine Slide at the east end of town just as you comed to the 'S' turns leading into down. It's has 2 lanes for fast or slow (you control the speed) down hill bobsledding type experience ... also used to have a water slide
Also take the ski lift up to the top of the hill for a great view and a hot dog lunch.
There's always bikes to fent (zzzz)
Breakfast at the Grizzly Manor is a unique experience if you like that kind of thing. Chinese food at the airport west of down town.
La Paz (cute name) is a good hole-in-the wall for mexican food. Clean and small ... but great for fast food and take out.
You can always do the tourist thing and walk the village and spend money ... Jaqalitos for mexican and Boo Bears for burgers

Hope that's some help. I'm sure others will chime in.

Wow!....Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for!! THANK YOU!!!

M@M
08-01-2012, 04:23 PM
also lots of hiking trails.. picnic areas like Boulder Bay and Grout Bay......... Captn. Johns Harbor/Marina for kayaking, wind surfing, boating etc..

CraigH
08-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Haven't been up there in three or four years, but they also have an animal rescue zoo type thing. I think it's called Moonridge??? When I was there they had a family of grizzly bears.

Breaking Bass
08-07-2012, 07:33 AM
Haven't been up there in three or four years, but they also have an animal rescue zoo type thing. I think it's called Moonridge??? When I was there they had a family of grizzly bears.

Moonridge is correct. My wife really wanted to check it out but they ended up doing the skyview lift instead. All in all we had a blast. Did the tour around the lake and learned a helluva lot about the origins of BB valley. (e.g. We can thank President Bush for saving our trees from bark beetle infestation) The best part was clobbering the smallies and largies!! Man the bite was absolutely on fire towards the evening hours!!