PDA

View Full Version : 180th St West

jdduckman
07-31-2012, 10:39 PM
I used to fish the bridge and the curves at 180th street, but someone posted that you can't tresspass there. Can they legally keep you from that bridge?
Can you go up the rod to the bridge?

swimbait24/7
08-01-2012, 02:21 PM
fishing from bridges is illegal everywhere.

jdduckman
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
You misunderstood what I am asking. In order to access the aqueduct, it's typically done through the pedestrian gate in the fence at a bridge. 180th st west has 4 of those gates (2 on either side of the duct) so it is legal to fish there (not on the bridge).
There used to be signs on either side of the road that were for the land, but now there is a 2 poles on each side of the road with a pole across the top of the 2 poles and there is a no trespassing sign on the cross pole that would lead you to believe that the road is no trespassing past the sign.
Can they legally keep you from accessing the duct @ 180th st west?

ZipperWurm
08-01-2012, 04:07 PM
do the signs look like the state of california put them there? or just some guy? if the state didn't put them there, pretty sure its still legal to walk in and fish it since it should be state property...

Bassnman Mike
08-01-2012, 04:19 PM
The signs are NOT State of CA signs, they belong to the old guy that lives on the other side of the duct. I have found that as long as your not hauling A55 up the dirt road he USUALLY does not have any issues. I do however know that he has approached me a couple times telling me I was trespassing and I told him that I was not, gave him "The Eye" and he left. I'm not sure if he left because he knew I was right or if he was intimidated by me, I'm a big guy.

To the best of my knowledge its perfectly legal to fish there, maybe some other AV Ducters will chime in.

jdduckman
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM
Thank's Mike,
I figured it was the guy just across the duct, that put the signs up.
Now if the actual 180th st west (blue rectangle sign) at the intersection of 180th and Lancaster rd said private under it, I would honor that, but i think I shall call the guys bluff as well.
It's actually a felony to post land that is not your own. Maybe I will get him to admit that he posted it and spring the felony idea on him.
I think it is a county maintained (dirt) road up to the aqueduct.
I know there are quite a few folks living up beyond the locked gate on the other side, but the aqueduct is the farthest I want to go.
There used to be a guy named Rocky that came down out of those hills to bathe in the aqueduct. Would always take the extra livers I had when I was leaving. He used to go down to Lancaster Rd and find road kill and use it for bait as he fished the duct for subsitence. Hadn't seen him for several years and he called me about 6 months ago and said he lived in Kernville. Said he knew all the places to go at Isabella if I wanted to rent a boat up there he would show me. Always kept one eye on him. I really think he was just lonely and harmless, but he was a bit odd.

ZipperWurm
08-01-2012, 09:54 PM
yes....there are definitely some "odd" ones running around the duct :LOL:

jdduckman
08-06-2012, 03:13 PM
36735I was going to go out there again yesterday, but I got to the signs and turned around.
I took some pictures of the signs, so I can make some inquiries.
I'm a big guy too, but a bigger chicken.

Lucky Lager
08-06-2012, 10:30 PM
My trade is land survey, so I have access to maps, record of surveys, deeds, etc.
Every document I've found shows 180th st west to be NOT maintained by the county, south of Lancaster rd.
This COULD make that portion of 180th st a private street...but, on the other hand, I've found no documents calling it private either.
There is a law, focused on ingress/egress, for common use...how far you want to inturperate/pursue the details of that law with the land owner, is up to you.
Myself? If I wanted to fish there, I would argue my point....but there are too many miles of duct for me to fight an old man over his fishing spot ;)
I know that's not a solid answer, but there's my 2 cents.
LL

jdduckman
08-07-2012, 02:08 PM
I tried to look up Section 108 of the Civil Code, but it does not exist. So the sign posted is wrong. I think maybe it should be section 1008.

jdduckman
08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
So I emailed the LA County road department and got this for an answer (just like Lucky Lager said):
Answer:
180th Street West south of Lancaster Road is not a County maintained dirt road. The ownership of most non-County maintained dirt roads is the adjacent property owner and they are also responsible for the maintenance of the road.
My only alternative is to go to the county recorder and find out who the owner is and try and contact them for permission. Or maybe as (Lucky Lager says) "there are too many miles of duct for me to fight an old man over his fishing spot ;)".
I did like fishing that "S" curve to the west of that bridge though.

fishinarteest
08-08-2012, 05:19 PM
yes....there are definitely some "odd" ones running around the duct :LOL:

You can say that again. Some weird A55e5 hang around dem dar parts lol

fishinarteest
08-08-2012, 05:20 PM
So I emailed the LA County road department and got this for an answer (just like Lucky Lager said):
Answer:
180th Street West south of Lancaster Road is not a County maintained dirt road. The ownership of most non-County maintained dirt roads is the adjacent property owner and they are also responsible for the maintenance of the road.
My only alternative is to go to the county recorder and find out who the owner is and try and contact them for permission. Or maybe as (Lucky Lager says) "there are too many miles of duct for me to fight an old man over his fishing spot ;)".
I did like fishing that "S" curve to the west of that bridge though.

Lucky lager is right. Way too many miles. Dont know how long youve been fishing the duct, but if you havent been for very long I would definitely explore other parts

Lucky Lager
08-09-2012, 04:19 AM
If you like the bends there, but don't want to park there, you can always park at 170th & walk in.
His property excludes the aqueduct right of way & he cannot keep you from being there.
It's only 1 mile from the 170th bridge & who knows, you might find some fish along the walk to your destination.

jdduckman
08-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Lucky lager is right. Way too many miles. Dont know how long youve been fishing the duct, but if you havent been for very long I would definitely explore other parts

I have fished the duct since 1990.

jdduckman
08-09-2012, 02:17 PM
If you like the bends there, but don't want to park there, you can always park at 170th & walk in.
His property excludes the aqueduct right of way & he cannot keep you from being there.
It's only 1 mile from the 170th bridge & who knows, you might find some fish along the walk to your destination.

I'm too fat too walk that far.

Lucky Lager
08-09-2012, 05:09 PM
I'm too fat too walk that far.

hahaha :LOL:
Well, make that walk in this heat we've been having & you won't be fat for long, haha!
Another option is ride a bike in. Most of the duct now have the "no bike" signs, but several DWR workers have told me that they don't care & never enforce that rule. And, the worst that can happen, is they'll tell you to take your bike out.

ZipperWurm
08-11-2012, 01:17 AM
hahaha :LOL:
Well, make that walk in this heat we've been having & you won't be fat for long, haha!
Another option is ride a bike in. Most of the duct now have the "no bike" signs, but several DWR workers have told me that they don't care & never enforce that rule. And, the worst that can happen, is they'll tell you to take your bike out.

in that case, i think i might invest in a good mountain bike...im sick of walking to all the good spots, especially when my friends tag along and want to bring chairs and coolers full of beer...lol

jdduckman
08-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Yesterday afternoon to dark.
No bites/no fish. Moss was absolutley terrible.

EbonBetta
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
not to jack the thread but there is an aqueduct access at the west end of ave s in Palmdale I think it is. I had stopped there and there are private property sighs just before you get to the duct. In any event we were sitting in the car and a cop came flying down the road and nearly hit us then came to us saying we were trespassing. We were at the entrance to the duct which I though was considered an easement. The fact that he was speeding on a dirt road did not seem to interest him....

Marine_Michael
09-09-2012, 12:13 PM
not to jack the thread but there is an aqueduct access at the west end of ave s in Palmdale I think it is. I had stopped there and there are private property sighs just before you get to the duct. In any event we were sitting in the car and a cop came flying down the road and nearly hit us then came to us saying we were trespassing. We were at the entrance to the duct which I though was considered an easement. The fact that he was speeding on a dirt road did not seem to interest him....
Which part of the Duct are you talking about? The bridge where ave S crosses the duct or past the Anaverde housing community? I'm guessing it's the later since you say the officer was on a dirt road.

DWRGuy
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
The signs are NOT State of CA signs, they belong to the old guy that lives on the other side of the duct. I have found that as long as your not hauling A55 up the dirt road he USUALLY does not have any issues. I do however know that he has approached me a couple times telling me I was trespassing and I told him that I was not, gave him "The Eye" and he left. I'm not sure if he left because he knew I was right or if he was intimidated by me, I'm a big guy.

To the best of my knowledge its perfectly legal to fish there, maybe some other AV Ducters will chime in.

Yeah, I work for DWR..You are OK..State controls about 100ft on either side and are contracted to provide recreation. If there are walk in gates, you are good. Just use public roads to get there.