PDA

View Full Version : gletemfeelsteelgary heres my Sam Antonio Report for 7/31

plumbertom
07-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Got on the water at 6:30 and took Cutbait's advice to head to the dam.
No Boils going on there and no bait on the FF.
Put out a couple of trolling rigs, one on the Down rigger at 30', the other running about 10' and trolled the north shore from the dam.
Not 1/2 mile off the dam started seeing bait balls and bigger fish hanging off them.
Soon (about 7:15) a good strong boil erupted right next to the boat. I immediately dropped into neutral and grabbed my rig with a 1/2 Oz Kastmaster ad tossed it across the boil.
Started dragging it in and bang, I was hooked up.
Boated the fish but that boil was over. Greg, the guy I was fishing with had tried tossing a rattle trap at the boiling fish But they were having no part of it.
Trolled up and back through what looked to be good numbers of fish with no takers so we decided to drift some Sardines.
Wasn't 10 minutes that Greg hooked up a striper on a 'dine on the bottom in about 35 ft of water.
We tried a few more spots and seen a couple more boils we couldn't get to before they dropped out of sight.
Gary did manage a nice Smallie on a plastic worm tat we CPRed.
Around noon we went into Harris creek, put up the Bimini, anchored up and soaked some chicken livers in 35' of water for a channel about 5 lbs (Gary again) and a slightly smaller one that I released at the boat when my line broke.
Stuck it out till about 4 PM then called it a day.
Water was a bit green and a warm 74 degrees. Weather was Sunny, not a cloud in sight with a light breeze. My guess is it got up to 90 on the lake.
Got to Heratage rnach and the CHP had the road closed due to a firs so had to back track to Jolon Rd to get home.

cutbait
07-31-2012, 08:16 PM
Got on the water at 6:30 and took Cutbait's advice to head to the dam.
No Boils going on there and no bait on the FF.
Put out a couple of trolling rigs, one on the Down rigger at 30', the other running about 10' and trolled the north shore from the dam.
Not 1/2 mile off the dam started seeing bait balls and bigger fish hanging off them.
Soon (about 7:15) a good strong boil erupted right next to the boat. I immediately dropped into neutral and grabbed my rig with a 1/2 Oz Kastmaster ad tossed it across the boil.
Started dragging it in and bang, I was hooked up.
Boated the fish but that boil was over. Greg, the guy I was fishing with had tried tossing a rattle trap at the boiling fish But they were having no part of it.
Trolled up and back through what looked to be good numbers of fish with no takers so we decided to drift some Sardines.
Wasn't 10 minutes that Greg hooked up a striper on a 'dine on the bottom in about 35 ft of water.
We tried a few more spots and seen a couple more boils we couldn't get to before they dropped out of sight.
Gary did manage a nice Smallie on a plastic worm tat we CPRed.
Around noon we went into Harris creek, put up the Bimini, anchored up and soaked some chicken livers in 35' of water for a channel about 5 lbs (Gary again) and a slightly smaller one that I released at the boat when my line broke.
Stuck it out till about 4 PM then called it a day.
Water was a bit green and a warm 74 degrees. Weather was Sunny, not a cloud in sight with a light breeze. My guess is it got up to 90 on the lake.
Got to Heratage rnach and the CHP had the road closed due to a firs so had to back track to Jolon Rd to get home.

Nice stripers, just to be clear though the boils were at the dam right? and not exclusive to the south side of the lake?

Hour long boil at South Marina last Sat morning.

Many boil chasers present? I ask because at San Antonio the more Bass boats idling in the center of the lake with Bino's means a strong boil pattern.

Those guys do it differently than we do

plumbertom
07-31-2012, 08:25 PM
All the boils I saw were along the north shore a little ways from the dam.
That's not to say there were no boils at the dam I just didn't see any while I was there.
Yes there were a few out there doing jump from boil to boil but they were doing more sitting and waiting than running.

cutbait
07-31-2012, 08:43 PM
We classify the dam area as pretty much three fingers south including bee rock.

Thanks for the info, it strenghtens the intel I have.

TB and I will be heading to Pyramid or Castaic in the am.

snospdr
08-01-2012, 07:37 AM
Great report and pics! Thanks for all the good info.

gletemfeelsteelgary
08-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Awww...so glad you caught a fishee...

Shall we post how to clean it ?

Awww man...I am so proud :)

plumbertom
08-01-2012, 12:40 PM
Sure go ahead and post your tip.
Of course you need to keep in mind that I like to have something left when done.

joejoe77
08-02-2012, 03:59 PM
Good fish nice report. I made it out today my report is not as good unfortunately. Hey Tom, if you need a shotgun next time I got gas money let me know. Tired of getting skunked by the stripers.

trail blazer
08-02-2012, 04:46 PM
Great going TOM,,,,,,,,,,,,Good eats right there for sure.

T/B