PDA

View Full Version : Surf Fishing Gear Question.

Gu3rra_c
07-31-2012, 10:04 AM
Thinking of trying out surf fishing but not sure what type of gear to start off with, any subjection on a good but inexpensive fishing rod and reel. Somewhat of a starter to test the waters and see if I like it,
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

skunked4life
07-31-2012, 11:21 AM
You can start off with pretty much any set up. Without getting too specific, I say get a cheaper, not cheap, rod and reel at first. If you aren't a baitcaster like most on this site, go spinning. I am a spinning person but looking at going casting soon.

Get yourself a rod at least 7 feet, 6 to 10 pound test (flouro leader), some small swivels, some 3/4 ounce sliding egg sinkers, some orange beads, some size 4 or 6 owner hooks (mosquito), and gulp camo worms to start. That is all I started with.

Use the tide tables, solunar tables and travel light. If at first you do not succeed, then try again. Don't make the mistake and think that you will go out on the surf and get a monster legal halibut or WSB your first time. I did and it only discouraged me. It took me about 5 weeks and tons of time researching to get relatively decent at catching.

Travel light. I carry one, or two rods, and what I call my batman utility belt. It is an army belt that I bought pouches for at the Army/Navy store. I carry line, pretied leaders, weights, hooks, a knife, pliers, measuring tape and one plastic trashbag for picking up trash.

Last but not least, with the exception of the camo worms and line, don't get too hell bent on name brands. Eventually, when you start getting proficient, the nicer rods and other equipment will aid in more catches, but not necessary at first. Of course, the nicer your rod, reel and line, the better able to hone your skills and notice subtleties you will get, but unnecessary at first.

Gu3rra_c
07-31-2012, 11:52 AM
thanks for the info

dkinla
07-31-2012, 11:53 AM
take a look at my post in this thread about the Shimano Sedona 2500 reel for $37. Can't go wrong with that if you like spinning reels. I use 15# powerpro braid with a 8# flouro leader using c-rig with either 1/2 oz or 3/4 oz egg sinker depending on surf conditions.

As for the rod, most popular rod is probably the 8'6" Shimano Clarus steelhead rod in medium or medium light action.
Another popular cheaper rod is the the 8'6" Shimano Convergence steelehad spinning rod in medium
http://www.fishusa.com/Shimano-Convergence-Salmon--Steelhead-Spinning-Rods_p.html

both have lifetime limited warranty... and Shimano customer service has always been top-notch!

for even cheaper rods, you could go with the Okuma SST steelhead rod 8'6" Medium for $67
http://www.fishusa.com/Okuma-SST-Salmon-Steelhead-and-Trout-Spinning-Rods_p.html

the Fenwick HMX steelhead rod is pretty sweet too:
http://www.fishusa.com/Fenwick-HMX-Salmon-Steelhead-Spinning-Rods_p.html

Gu3rra_c
07-31-2012, 12:03 PM
dkinla- I did notice your post late last night and purchased the Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel. THANKS for that info. My next search would be the fishing pole (need to see how much I need to come up with first) so that I can get that set up going. I appreciate all the links your are also giving me.

dkinla
07-31-2012, 06:30 PM
dkinla- I did notice your post late last night and purchased the Shimano Sahara 2500 FD Spinning Reel. THANKS for that info. My next search would be the fishing pole (need to see how much I need to come up with first) so that I can get that set up going. I appreciate all the links your are also giving me.

The Sahara is a great, smooth reel with good drag... that's what I started out surf fishing with... put some 15# powerpro braid on it (150 yard spool will be enough). Be sure to give the reel a quick rinse under freshwater for a couple seconds after each surf/saltwater session. Obviously, don't get it dunked in the surf or get sand in it :LOL: Also lube up the gears every few sessions to keep it smooth (comes with small tube of oil).

g'luck and have fun surf fishing! remember, to keep moving up/down the beach until you find the fish/bites... don't just stay in one area hoping that the bite will pick up or something... I like to fan cast as I'm working my way down the beach.

gavin310
07-31-2012, 09:35 PM
If my experience is anything to learn from, don't buy anything nice when you're starting out surf fishing. Unless you know how to disassemble reels yourself to clean them, you'll ruin a few of them from sand. On the other hand, if you buy an expensive, sealed reel, maybe you won't have these problems. I'd go with the cheaper ones though. The Shimano Sienna is like $20 at Big 5 and it's a great reel. I caught halibut, perch, and bass on those reels no problem. The Sedona is great too.

Gu3rra_c
07-31-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for all of these great advices, greatly appreciate it.

dkinla
07-31-2012, 10:03 PM
If my experience is anything to learn from, don't buy anything nice when you're starting out surf fishing. Unless you know how to disassemble reels yourself to clean them, you'll ruin a few of them from sand. On the other hand, if you buy an expensive, sealed reel, maybe you won't have these problems. I'd go with the cheaper ones though. The Shimano Sienna is like $20 at Big 5 and it's a great reel. I caught halibut, perch, and bass on those reels no problem. The Sedona is great too.

x2, i agree... recommended that he purchase the Sedona for $37, but he already purchased the Sahara... so hopefully he takes good care of it.

The sienna at $29 retail is a great beginner's reel too...