PDA

View Full Version : Last Minute Outing (w/ pics)

skunked4life
07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
I am posting pics from the weekend and some from my last minute outing on Monday.

This one was my first short on Saturday evening 07/28/2012:

Here is the second short from the next morning 07/28/2012 (with a little help from my buddy):

Both of the above were caught in 45 minute sessions.

On Sunday night, I get a call from my younger brother whom I have not seen in awhile. He wants to go try out fishing. Ok. Why not? He was inexperienced (other than pier fishing) but I set him up and headed out. The conditions were slightly overcast and hot. I have not fished in the middle of the day before so did not expect to catch anything. The first 30 minutes were nothing but skunk. Then, I moved about 5 yards to my left and I get slammed. I think to myself, wow, a halibut or guitarfish. It fought like crazy!!! Lots of seaweed, so that might have accounted for some of the pull...maybe. No, not at all, it came up clean and I though this was my first mid-sized spotfin croaker. Nope, it was a prego YFC about 15 to maybe 16 inches and weighing in on my cheapy scale at almost 2.5 pounds.

Tried to measure them, take the picture and release, but they would not cooperate with the measuring part. Got sand everywhere.

We hooked into at least 8 more croakers all about the same size. They were just huge. Hooked up on some decent sized BSPs and a couple that were just too embarrassing to take pictures of. All caught on gulp products (crack and new penny shrimp).

bachiboy
07-31-2012, 10:28 AM
Nice session S4L. Sounds like you got into a nice little school of fat YFCs there. Congrats!

Don

bassfishing24/7
07-31-2012, 10:44 AM
Nice job S4L,looks like ur getting it down pretty good now!my last two times at nph have been skunked,im planning On tubing it next time!

skunked4life
07-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys! I know that these aren't exactly prized fish, at least in terms of size or species, but I am enjoying the sport. Plus, it makes me feel good that I know that I can catch as opposed to being skunked and release to catch them again another day!

Hey Bassfishing, I know the feeling about the harbor side, I have been getting skunked in the usual spots unlike our friend smokehound, but the island has been pretty happening. At least you have the floattube option. I am not quite ready to make that commitment.

bassfishing24/7
07-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Thanks guys! I know that these aren't exactly prized fish, at least in terms of size or species, but I am enjoying the sport. Plus, it makes me feel good that I know that I can catch as opposed to being skunked and release to catch them again another day!

Hey Bassfishing, I know the feeling about the harbor side, I have been getting skunked in the usual spots unlike our friend smokehound, but the island has been pretty happening. At least you have the floattube option. I am not quite ready to make that commitment.
Once i got my Float Tube,ive been hooked ever since,ive hooked On some huge bat rays and what a ride i got!!i was actually On the island side the last couple of times when i got skunked!!!Lol.

smokehound
08-01-2012, 05:44 AM
It takes a bit getting used to over there in the canal.. gotta work the lure slower. T-rig is a necessity there.

The deepest part of the canal is the very center, this is where alot of the fish are. Drag VERY slowly. It will help to cast diagonally up the current, all the way to the other side, give it a sharp jerk to pop it free of the eelgrass and let it sink again, this time it will be on the bottom. Then drag it very slowly, giving abrupt pauses every 4 seconds or so. When I say slow I mean SLOW. excruciatingly slow. So slow that you feel like an idiot. haha

That's a nice croaker, 2 lbs in itself is chunky! Yellowfins are underrated, though they do get in the freakin way when you're trying for spotties near balboa blvd! :LOL: