PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. Immersion Therapy

Nipple Twister
07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
With a TON of s**t bouncing around in my head demanding attention and decisions (yeah I know, don’t we all) I was in need of some immersion therapy, it would have to be a short wham, bam, thank you Ma’am, in/out nobody gets hurt quickie kinda thing 'cause I had some appointments to keep, had to be in the valley by 1100hrs. I was also looking to make some more “tests” on a custom painted LC I had just finished which netted positive results just two days prior at another A.O.(Donald, the dogs are on the beach, the dogs are on the beach).
That day was similar to what I’m about to report on as far as being a quick recon/Intel kind of assault due the limited time available for the same reason. Within a two hour window I got two YFC’s:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072712b.jpg
This one,which was larger, decided to flip during his photo op, sorry for the pepper………both were C.P.&R’d.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072712c.jpg

Now, on tothe hunt……….

Date: Sat, July 28, 2012
Time: 0630-0830
A.O.: Homefront beach
Terrain: Wide open sandy beach break
Weather: Calm, mild with overcast
Surf: 1’ >
Watertemp/clarity: Seemed warmer then past several days maybe low 60’s/water was clear, LC came back clean every retrieve.
Tide: 3’+outgoing
Bait: Custom painted Lucky Craft Aurora Mackerel on a 7’ Shimano Compre with a Daiwa Luna203L loaded with 50lb PowerPro braid.
Fish Count: 7 Halibut

With limited time I wanted to get some solitude immersion therapy and fling my latest creation in my home surf for comparison. On the water at grey light, I liked what I could see and it was calm, clear, trenchy waters and not a soul in sight. This is the stomping grounds Pontoon and myself have hit with good results on legal flatfish and the conditions sooo close it was giving me shivers…..bbrrrrrrrr, scary but a legal today would be nice!
Ahhh, no worries, just getting wet is workin, with the calm waters you could easily stand in the edge with little worry of getting wave slammed, flinging away my usual fan cast with music blaring of course……not ten minutes I get BUMP,PULL….and……..BAM! Fish on!
Right there in the ditch damn near jumped out at me, quick slide up the sand with the surf:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812c.jpg
Taped out at 19ish inches and back to the water for another day….

Feeling good the skunk is off, watching the clock, adjust the music and keep my attack south……..I can see a few new anglers setting up down the beach so I figured I’d head that way and share what I have found so far which seemed to get them fired up. I just stayed close never covered more than a ¼ mile of beach the whole………..BUMP, TUG, ….wait….PULL, SHAKE ………..yeahhhhhhhh…Fish ON!
Littlet ougher fight but got to shore none the less, Shorty #2:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812d.jpg
C.P &R’d we back to flinging………..

Working this nice trench end to end and they like the paint job………and before I could say BAM, Fish ON it was BAM>>>>FISH ON! Shorty #3:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812e.jpg
C. P. & R’d

Feeling really good about the morning, I just keep flinging and moving…..hooked somebody else’s line by mistake…oops, sorry.
Not really seeing anyone catching fish but the Pelicans, birds are diving for baitfish big time……looking for the boilers, rips, fishy spots and fling on in and ...............YEAHHHHHH….pay off! Fish ON! Shorty #4:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812f.jpg
Looked short for sure and wanted to get it back to water so no tape.
Few more anglers showing up, some familiar faces too, quick chat letting ‘em know “get rigged up and get wet, they’re in there!”
One gentleman C-Riggin with bugs I would thought for sure would attract the uglyfish but nope nuttin but Perch……..hey, hey, wait!
BAM, Shake,Fish ON! Standing there flappin my jaw and flinging too got shorty #5:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812g.jpg
C. P. &R’d

Home stretch now, not much time left so up beat the tunes and step it up a notch……scanning finding the holes……going in where others are not……..”come on now, there must be others”…. getting greedy now……casting in, slow rolling back…….easy, take your time……again, again, again, again………..over here, there and …..BAM, Fish ON! Fighting hard and doing that skim on the surface thing I slide up the sand…….Shorty #6:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812h.jpg
After aquick C.P & R I was feeling pretty good about the morning giving me a boosted positive attitude about the rest of my day but hey, I still got about 15 more minutes let’s see what comes up between here and my return spot…….flingingaway, big…..W I D E…..fan casts….stretching it to all I can reach…..slow drag as I step closer to ending the session. Starting to feel the outer sand bar on the retrieve but still plenty deep diving back into the trench…….pulling thru and up the ditch I can feel the LC wiggle, rod tip bouncing ever soooo slightly as my spool fills back with line lost on the cast……….just as I was gonna pull in and make my last cast it was B A M……..F I S H ON! Hard *** headshake, drag going out as I watch, the line it cuts thru the surface water up and down that trench,trying to stay with it running, stopping, pulling, trying to gain some line back but just as I see it and it sees me it’s Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..all I can do is hold the rod and watch line peel off and go down the beach. Now at this point I am getting on-lookers moving closer watching me up and down the beach with El Bendo……must have been working it too hard ‘cause my hands are getting tired and it’s hard to crank……..all I can muster up was to laugh and hold on thinking, “how am I going to get this fish to shore and how much longer is that LC gonna hang on?”…..Hahaha, too funny, right to the edge of the ditch and BUMP. NADDA……..back to peeling line…..but its getting tired so tighten down justa tad, pulllllllllll……reelllllllllllland timing with the wave……………….YEAH!.......Fish#7LEGAL 26”:
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812i.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/nippletwister_photos/Fishing/072812a.jpg

My last legal was released so this time it was the dinner table, as I write this report I am eating the last of the ceviche……..
Tight lines everyone, thanks for reading…..’til next time….see ya!

Wingnut
07-30-2012, 08:57 PM
Nice job Fabio! :ROFL:
With all those shorts, there's bound to be at least one legal in the mix and I'm glad that you nailed it John. :Thumbs Up:
I haven't been in the surf for so long I think I forgot what head-shakes feels like. :LOL:
Keep up the nice work out there soldier! :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
07-31-2012, 06:30 AM
John you need a hair cut :ROFL:

Nice morning session, congrats

WWO

fishshep
07-31-2012, 07:28 AM
Six Shorts and a LEGAL !!! :Big Grin:

Is some good decent catchin there :Smile:

bachiboy
07-31-2012, 10:21 AM
John you need a hair cut

WWO

Don't do it John! It's like Sampson...you cut your hair and you'll lose your mojo! :LOL: You're on a MEAN role this year man!:Wink: That is one HELLUVA session. GREAT read and picts, and I like the custom paint job. Looks like it paid off big time. :Thumbs Up:

Congrats!!!
Don

frankjz
07-31-2012, 10:37 AM
Killer man, just a killer morning! Thanks for the enthusiastic report. Love it.

Which Way Out
07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Don't do it John! It's like Sampson...you cut your hair and you'll lose your mojo! :LOL: You're on a MEAN role this year man!:Wink: That is one HELLUVA session. GREAT read and picts, and I like the custom paint job. Looks like it paid off big time. :Thumbs Up:

Congrats!!!
Don

Don, he's a SWAT guy now. I get to mess with him as much as I want. hehehe

Lucas has been mia so I need someone to pick on...

WWO

Nipple Twister
08-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Nice job Fabio! :ROFL:

John you need a hair cut :ROFL:

Don, he's a SWAT guy now. I get to mess with him as much as I want. hehehe

Lucas has been mia so I need someone to pic on...

:LOL::ROFL::LOL::ROFL::LOL::ROFL: LMAO......hahahahahahahahaha...........I will reply to all just as soon as I can compose myself....too funny:Big Grin:

twin22s
08-01-2012, 12:31 PM
i have been sitting on a custom painted LC for a year now, i really want to try to catch some flat boys from the surf but never work up the never/time to go out. i live is san clemente and the beaches here seem to have larger surf than most. i was wonder what to look for in a spot. wave size, and bottom conture. I have the notion that not being able to cast past the white water would hurt my chances. i have the gear and the concept. just cant deside where to go. i don't want to crowd in on your spots just want to know what to look for and if fishing a steeper drop off is the way to go so i can cast into the clear water. If anyone is going fishing down my way soon it would be nice to have a fishing buddy(witness, lol) also, been fishing alone mostly. great job BTW John, if you could see me, I have my jelious face on right now.

Which Way Out
08-01-2012, 06:51 PM
i have been sitting on a custom painted LC for a year now, i really want to try to catch some flat boys from the surf but never work up the never/time to go out. i live is san clemente and the beaches here seem to have larger surf than most. i was wonder what to look for in a spot. wave size, and bottom conture. I have the notion that not being able to cast past the white water would hurt my chances. i have the gear and the concept. just cant deside where to go. i don't want to crowd in on your spots just want to know what to look for and if fishing a steeper drop off is the way to go so i can cast into the clear water. If anyone is going fishing down my way soon it would be nice to have a fishing buddy(witness, lol) also, been fishing alone mostly. great job BTW John, if you could see me, I have my jelious face on right now.

One of you guys down there needs to get this guy on the water.

I feel your pain twin22s. The surf can be a big challenge until you have some idea what to look for.
Try to get to the Hunting Giants 4 event this year. One of the SWAT Crew will help you out if you don't have it worked out by then.

Be sure you read the Stickies listed above the threads titled, Surf Fishing 101 or So you want to catch a Halibut from the Surf. They are must reads. A lot of time on the water was spent to bring together the useful information. Read some of the old post from the surf section. Go way back even a year or two. Of course you can narrow the search to Wingnut, or Bones. But for your area read some of Murrietta Angler's post. He's the man down your way. Robert has been kinda quite this summer but his post from last year are still there. If I were you I would read each one.

Good luck and maybe will see you at HG-4

WWO

jinbow
08-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Great report John. :Envious: How did you do that....7 butts w/ a legal in a 2 hour session...What a great day!
They loved that creepy bleedin LC of yours. hahaha..
Congrats, you deserved it. :Applause: Hope to see you on the sand some day again.

PONTOON
08-01-2012, 07:43 PM
When I got your text I was sitting in the boat at DVL trying to figure out where the catfish were and I see this text from you that said 6 shorts and one legal. I'm thinking to my self No way!:Shocked:
I had to confirm what I thought I saw with the readers and sure enough I see where you had an epic morning less than a mile away from home and Trolly and I were clear out at DVL with nada!:LOL:
Now I read that you topped it off with another one after the text.......epic!

Great morning session in the back yard John!:Thumbs Up:

bloox8
08-01-2012, 09:23 PM
Nice catches NP!! Looks like you've been slayin the surf when not many have been getting much luck.

And awesome pattern on that LC! It looks pretty crazy lol. You definitely deserve those catches slinging a cool looking pattern like that