PDA

View Full Version : Slow at the Bass Spot - BUTT !!

Newfishsmell
07-29-2012, 04:17 PM
So, I made a run to the LAB this morning 7/29/12 to get a quick fix before the crowds arrive.
With plenty of parking I make a quick stop in the bay. It's cool and overcast out and the water
is flat calm, fished about a 100yd stretch of sand to start the morning. Felt a couple short bites
but nothing that would stick.

30 minutes later and on to spot #2. I'm making cast after cast thinking to myself, it sure would
be nice to catch a legal Halibut. While fishing I get a text message from a buddy of mine, MTwiz.

MTwiz - Hey are you out fishing ?

Me - Well, DUH!!!! Of Course ... Lol

I tell him I got 1 Bass and I"m about to head over to the Bass spot.

MTwiz - Cool, I'll meet you there.

Spottie on the swim bait
http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/P1800x575.jpg

So, we fished the Bass spot for about an hour, and all we had to show for it was a couple Lizard
fish. Mtwiz says let's give LB a try !

So off we go. By now the crowds are starting to arrive and the parking is getting tough to find. We
take the 1st open spaces we could find and head towards the water. Not more than 15 minutes in
I get a solid hit, BENDO !!!

I'm thinking I just hooked a large stringer of kelp, because my swim bait just came to a dead stop.
I keep my rod tip up and continue to wind, then all of a sudden ... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I make a few cranks and get a glimpse of it in an incoming wave, I yell out - " DUDE, it's a LEGAL !!
He hit very close to shore and the waves kept pushing him up on the beach and then back down
in the water. Every time it went back towards the water head first I couldn't help but think I was gonna
loose it. We went back and forth about 5 times before MTwiz got a grip on it.

Once MTwiz lifted it up on the sand we both laughed and said, HOLYYYYYYYY CRAPPPPP !!

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/P2800x579.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/P3800x573.jpg

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/P4800x600.jpg

Nearly 36 inches ... WOW , a new PB halibut !!

A big thanks to my buddy Izzy for grabbing hold of that beast, with all the water and sand being splased around. I know you
got drenched ... Lol

Thanks bro, Let's do it again soon.

Dinner pics soon to come, until next time.

HawgStalker
07-29-2012, 04:44 PM
Great report and pics! Im sure its going to taste fantastic.....

Congrats on the PB!

fishshep
07-29-2012, 04:54 PM
I will trade ya 10 shorties for that Legal :LOL:

NICE CATCH !!! :Big Grin:

jrockn
07-29-2012, 07:28 PM
aswome catch!

Newfishsmell
07-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Great report and pics! Im sure its going to taste fantastic.....

Congrats on the PB!

Hi HawgStalker

Thanks, and the dinner came out fantastic.

I will trade ya 10 shorties for that Legal :LOL:

NICE CATCH !!! :Big Grin:

Hey fishshep, My friend and I had just been talkin about your report, one of the reason
we decided to give that beach a try.

And I'll take 10 shorties any day. I just got lucky today, very lucky!

aswome catch!

It sure was !

Thanks jrockn

Now for for some final resting shots

Some veggies and shrimp

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/IMAG0089.jpg

That's Halibut in coconut sauce on one side and barbecued Halibut with a sweet and spicy soy sauce on the other side. With a side of
hot wings and steamed rice ... Mmm ... good !

http://i948.photobucket.com/albums/ad324/everycast/Slow%20at%20the%20Bass%20Spot%20-%20BUTT/IMAG0088.jpg

bachiboy
07-30-2012, 10:32 AM
WOOHOO!!!!! WTG NFS!!!:EyePop: Always a helluva surprise when a 'kelp stringer' starts fighing back. :Wink: And even better when it ends up being a beast like that! Awesome job and great report!

CONGRATS!
Don

Wingnut
07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
Outstanding catch, that is a beautiful Hali, congrats! :Thumbs Up:
The food pics looks great too. :Big Grin:

Which Way Out
07-30-2012, 08:18 PM
"HOLYYYYYYYY CRAPPPPP !!"

Well that's an understatement. Well deserved fish. Very glad to see you get one you will always remember.

I was just thinking, I wonder if the Halibut are still around. Well of course they are. Been a little side tracked lately, but a fish like that will always get my attention.
Good going NFS and enjoy the bounty.

WWO

bloox8
07-30-2012, 09:30 PM
Way to work that beach! Its nice to know that big halibut are still hanging around that area :Smile:

And that good looks great! I get so hungry looking at it :LOL:

Newfishsmell
08-01-2012, 10:00 PM
WOOHOO!!!!! WTG NFS!!!:EyePop: Always a helluva surprise when a 'kelp stringer' starts fighing back. :Wink: And even better when it ends up being a beast like that! Awesome job and great report!

CONGRATS!
Don

Gotta luv that feeling when dead weight starts pulling back ... :Big Grin:
Thanks Don !

Outstanding catch, that is a beautiful Hali, congrats! :Thumbs Up:
The food pics looks great too. :Big Grin:

That was a beauty. The cooking was courtesy of my friends parents, heck I couldn't make toast bread ... Lol
Thank you Wingnut !

"HOLYYYYYYYY CRAPPPPP !!"

Well that's an understatement. Well deserved fish. Very glad to see you get one you will always remember.

I was just thinking, I wonder if the Halibut are still around. Well of course they are. Been a little side tracked lately, but a fish like that will always get my attention.
Good going NFS and enjoy the bounty.

WWO

Yeah, you northern guys have been doing quite well up there !! Luv the reports. Definitely one I'll remember.
Thanks WWO !

Way to work that beach! Its nice to know that big halibut are still hanging around that area :Smile:

And that good looks great! I get so hungry looking at it :LOL:

I got lucky on this one! but it just goes to show you, you never know.
Thanks bloox8 !

GETBIT!
08-02-2012, 05:55 PM
Fanfriggintastic, that things a beaut, On the swim bait too, Outstanding!!..

madbass
08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Nice fish buddy, congratulations!!!!

skunked4life
08-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Don't know which picture is more amazing, the one of the beast or the one of the food! Amazing! Rub some of that mojo off on me please.

Newfishsmell
08-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Fanfriggintastic, that things a beaut, On the swim bait too, Outstanding!!..

3in BH swimbit with a 1/4 ounce lead head & 12lb mono ... and I agree, Fanfriggintastic ! Lol
Thanks GETBIT

Nice fish buddy, congratulations!!!!

Thanks MB

Don't know which picture is more amazing, the one of the beast or the one of the food! Amazing! Rub some of that mojo off on me please.

Hi skunked4life

I just may have used up all my mojo/luck for the rest of the year on this one ... Lol
The food was awesome, and being lucky/fortunate enough to catch a 36in Hali from the sand, Priceless :Big Grin:

Best of Luck !

Chuck