PDA

View Full Version : Right kind, wrong size

skunked4life
07-29-2012, 09:26 AM
After a short hiatus to take the 3 day California Bar Examination, my idea of partying it up was to hit the salt water.

method: T-rig and drop shot
Bait: gulp ghost shrimp and pearl white swimbait

Got to the harbor at 7:00 a.m. To fish for an hour or two, had to run errands yesterday. Got skunked. After wallowing in self pity, decided to hit it up again in the evening for an hour. Lots of hits but i could not get them to commit. Then, right in front of me, about 10 feet, BAM! Like nothing i have felt before. Whats weird is that i thought i lost it because it gave no fight. Pulled up my firts hali. Wow, was it short.

Pics to be added later.

I went home satisfied.

This morning, felt like i needed to go back. So i did for an hour. BAM! Another big hit...to preface this though, i was getting lots of nibbles but thought they were perch or something small because i couldnt set the hooks on any of them. So, i switched it up to use gulp camo worm. Back to the hit...reeled it in and to my delight, a 20 incher this time!

Back to back flat fish but both undersized. Happy nonetheless. Thanks for reading and pics will be added soon.

Jig-Guy
07-29-2012, 01:16 PM
Good for you, 2 short buts but at least you were out there doing it and getting bit. Sounds like you had a good time also. There is a legal waiting for you!

smokehound
07-29-2012, 06:45 PM
the second halibut was actually decent. I toss 6 lb so It would be a good fight for me.

fishshep
07-30-2012, 08:04 AM
Legals are the desire and the prize hoped for,

but we are not defined by the size fish we catch,

so yeah legals are better, but shorts are good,

because it is all good !!!:Big Grin:

bachiboy
07-30-2012, 10:36 AM
Hey S4L...nothing wrong with a couple shorts. At least your getting into some flatties. A legal is sure to come in the near future! :Wink: Keep it up and best of luck on the results of your bar exam!!!

Don

Wingnut
07-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Congrats on the Halibut... I sense a legal model coming your way very soon. :Big Grin: