PDA

View Full Version : Bluefin close to home!!!!7-27

tinfish
07-28-2012, 07:57 PM
So close I almost posted this in the islands forum!

Hit the Dolphin II out of fishermans. 9pm departure for Coronado's/ Mex coast trip. Captn Greg ran with 8 people!! A very cool and fishy captn. Great crew as well.

Spend the night at south island. Fish the middle of south at daylight for a few cuda.

Skip says H20 as cooled to 64 and its green.....

Move to rockpile for more cuda. I hook a yellow....wow do they pull. It looked to be about 25lbs and I busted it of in the corner....stupid move on my part as he was right at color and I thought I could turn his head for the gaff shot ...bink...****!

We hook and land one other yellow. Also about 25lbs.

So our bait died!. Cap says there catching a few at N. Island but we dont have the bait to compete. So he says we will head for the 425 for paddy hop. Most boats would have gone to N island, not chummed and called it a scratch day. This guy really tried had and couldn't believe he would burn all this fuel with 8 payers!

So heres where it gets good. Just west of the pile water turns beauty purple an 68.9 deg. and we get a BF sonar. Didnt bite. continued west for a couple dry pattys. then to our east here comes the white plane and starts doing doughnuts, next thing ya know we can see two seiners in a set about 6 miles east....EAST.

We get there, get another sonar mark...a good one and there boiling in the corner I land one the we get one other. YA! BF just S/W of the islands. I could easily see and count the hotels in Rosarito. we were that close!

Boxed the area for a few and now the wind is really blowin. So he goes back to the rockpile! Wow...Just to try with what litte bit of bait left to put a few more in the sack.....the guy never gives up!

Finally on the BF board for the year. Photo below. of the tuna