PDA

View Full Version : What was your best Suf day? What made it the best?

City Dad
08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
What was your best day fishing in the surf? What time of year? What was the species? Quantity or quality?

My best day was a five perch day in June - that's right five!!!

IslandBoi
08-24-2007, 07:10 PM
My first try at surf fishing ....

Went out to Seal beach ..... 5:30 am, froze my nizutts off, waiting for the damn sun....

Hooked up on 6 Perch, all on fish crack. Great day ......

Every since then, it's been pretty awful ..... 1, maybe 2 perch every other outing, pretty dissapointing.

KaliDawgFan
08-24-2007, 09:32 PM
targeting leopard sharks at BC in mid-May. Ended up landing a decent-sized SNGF. Then I hooked into a leo that broke off. Next I landed a large leo that took me down the beach, and ended it with a smaller leo. Used mackeral chunks.

sansou
08-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I had a couple stellar outings last summer at Torrey Pines that I posted on FNN, one in which I caught around 10 corbs in one session.

TroutChaser
08-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I lived in Oxnard shores for 3 years and surffished almost every day there wasnt any sufrf!!!! During that time I had many great days. Some 50 plus perch days, 2 halis (shorts) in one day both off little grubs??

the best day was when the Corbina were actually bitting. I think it was early July and I came across about 8-10 BIG corbinas feeding in the shallows. The water was sooo clear In thought they would never hit. I flylined a single crab on 6lb test and got immediate hookups... Weird thing was that the other corbina didnt run away when i hooked the first one... Instead they followed the hooked one right up and almost onto shore as if they were not giving up on him??? It was almost like the frantic hooked one was getting them excited and more willing to bite?? Once released I caught 3 more from the same bunch 8)
they weighed from 2-4 pounds I'm guessing...
4 BIG Corbinas in a couple hours is my PB surf fishing trip to date.

ps.. On 6 pound test each one fought for a good 10 minutes and I had to time the waves in order to beach them 8)

CHASER

smokehound
08-26-2007, 02:45 PM
I tried fishing seal beach at night during the grunion run last year, and caught some nice halibut.. three legals :D That was one of my best days... i mean nights..

Well again there was a time i was at newport and i caught 4 legal redtail surfperch.

b20monster
08-29-2007, 11:36 AM
my best was when i was fishing near los alamitos jetty... we just wanted to get our lines wet. my friend next to hooked up on a pretty good size sngf.. and moments later, i hooked up on a lobster, about 3 pounds full of eggs underneath. i thought i was seaweed at first when i reeled her in until she started kicking. it was hell taking off the hook and rolling her back into the water.

Sinjin Kim
08-29-2007, 01:25 PM
12 legal halibut to 32" in one day and in the same week, 41 legal halibut in five consecutive outings. This was around October nearly 3 years ago.

sansou
08-29-2007, 03:06 PM
12 legal halibut to 32" in one day and in the same week, 41 legal halibut in five consecutive outings. This was around October nearly 3 years ago.

I don't want to hear about it until you publish the book and DVD! Ha ha!!
:D :D

Granny Fish
08-29-2007, 11:13 PM
It's nothing to brag about... but the best day for me was when Mr. G-Fish caught a little baby leopard shark in the surf, cause he had never caught anything besides surf perch and I always have to talk him into going out surf fishing with me. He was real excited that he caught something different.