PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the Pro's.

mayjeffc
07-27-2012, 02:20 PM
I am new to the saltwater game and wanted to get a few pointers from the seasoned pros out there. My nearest beach is Oceanside/Carlsbad. I am looking for a good set up that I can use for the surf as well as fishing the San Diego bay area. I need some recomendations for what size rod, type of reel and most commonly used line for the surf/bay fishing. Thanks in advance as I'm sure I'll get some good advice.

Jeff

Mischief
07-29-2012, 12:03 AM
I remember when I first started out fishing the salt I asked this question too...the answer I got was well...the middle finger pretty much. Good luck asking "pro's" for help.

My basic set up I use is the Shimano 200E7 Curado! Spooled with 30# power pro braid,.. I change up the rods but find one that works for you. At least a 7 footer, med heavy. Good luck,..

Beaverfishinfever
07-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Trout set-up, 10lb-12lb test. That gets me by.

christopherstellar
07-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Jeff,

I use a 8 ft Californian Calico Special with a Shimano Curado 301 spooled with 30 lb Tuf Line Braid. I also tie on a 20lb Floro leader that is about 4 ft in length directly to the braid using a blood knot. Good luck!

mayjeffc
07-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Thanks to everyone for the info!

twin22s
07-30-2012, 12:35 PM
good advice guys, maybe a bit vague though...
the gear is usualy specific to the fish you are after. the bait casters with braid are great for fishing halibut and pulling large bass from kelp or structure.
You could go the light route in the surf for the corbina and the perch fishing caralina rigged sand crabs or small lures. i like #6 moskito hooks for the sand crabs.
then if you wanted to use just one set-up for all your adventures i'd go with a 7' or 7'6" fast tappered rod, like the simano convergence. with a large baitcaster or small comventional reel.

I personally fish a convergence with a garcia black max with 10# line just about everywhere i go, i have landed countless halibut from san clemente pier and dana harbor.
its not a salt-water reel so I don't take it to the beach. i use a shimano sedona as i fish light and for corbina when I'm in the surf.

try an up scaled version of a drop-shot rig for bay bass and halibut in the bay.

best of luck and look forward to the fish stories and pictures.

smokehound
07-31-2012, 01:26 AM
I'm currently using a daiwa shock reel with a Shakespeare Durango rod.

This is actually a good reel for the price.

JL
08-01-2012, 06:25 PM
If I am moving around a lot (in a boat in the Oceanside harbor) i use all spinning gear similar to my fresh water bass set ups. Shimano Sedona and a similar Penn Spinning reel that for now I can't think of the model. (all black) Just my preference because getting older and my fingers and hands are not as strong as they use to be. So for me spinning gear is easy to use. Without giving away secret locations let me just share that Oceanside harbor has good Halibut and Bass locations. Not a big harbor so spending some time on the harbor will help you locate the fishing holes. Sticks are 6. and 6.5 ft long. Medium. We fish 8lb, 10lb and 15 lb spectra and mono. We use circle hooks and prefer live bait. Tight Lines and God Bless your efforts. God Bless America.

Re8elmonk0341
08-02-2012, 04:57 AM
I remember when I first started out fishing the salt I asked this question too...the answer I got was well...the middle finger pretty much. Good luck asking "pro's" for help.

My basic set up I use is the Shimano 200E7 Curado! Spooled with 30# power pro braid,.. I change up the rods but find one that works for you. At least a 7 footer, med heavy. Good luck,..

I 'member you were one of those "pros" that extended your middle finger at me lol