PDA

View Full Version : El Capitan State Beach, Santa Barbara, July 15th-19th.

andrew95
07-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Bit of a late report, sorry.

I went camping with family and read the guide here on how to fish the surf, mostly used the 2" camo sandworm and fished the morning for an hour or two and in the evening.

This was pretty much my first time fishng in the ocean so it was pretty new and fun for me. I've been fishing trout for quite a while though. I'm just outside of Santa Clarita so Ventura is about an hour and a half away. Not too bad for making a nice day trip more often. LA beaches are a little closer but I'm not sure how good they are.

July 15th, evening: Seaweed was real bad but I managed to catch a couple barred perch.

July 16th: Caught a dozen or so perch in the morning and evening.

July 17th, morning: First cast I hook into a BIG perch and then another about 5 minutes later. After that I get some small tugs on my line and reel in a funny small looking perch, "Wait, HALIBUTTT!!!". This thing was really small, like 4 inches but I was still pretty stoked lol. I ended up catching 2 more and released them all very carefully of course.

July 18th, morning: Completely dead on the water, except a bite or two. I don't know what was wrong because the tide and waves seemed fine. The sun was out for the first time in the early morning but I don't know if it matters.

July 19th, morning: Also very slow again but I managed to get two baby halibut that got off the hook when brought in.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera except for the first day, so no pics of the baby halibut or the two bigger perch. The perch pictured was the average size caught.

http://oi46.tinypic.com/2a8nx93.jpg

fishandhunt
07-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Good going Andrew95...now even more motivated to get going this weekend. The family is taking a weekend camping trip starting tomorrow. I will be at Emma Wood, hopefully I have as much luck as you did. Did you see any sandcrab in the vicinity???

andrew95
07-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Good going Andrew95...now even more motivated to get going this weekend. The family is taking a weekend camping trip starting tomorrow. I will be at Emma Wood, hopefully I have as much luck as you did. Did you see any sandcrab in the vicinity???

I saw a bunch of sandcrabs but I had a hard time finding the bigger ones, I usually find them easily in the deeper part of the water. I used one like once and I actually managed to get a nice bite from something. Good luck and have fun.

Lucky Lager
07-27-2012, 02:16 PM
Nice going!
If you're like the rest of us on this board....you're hooked now, lol.
I'm in the same boat as you, as far as distance from the beach. I'm about 40 minutes further north, in the hills above SCV.
Oxnard/Ventura areas are good for perch & some occasional hali's. I like to go a little further north to Carpinteria & SB usually. The southern beaches are good too, but I don't get down there much. I worked in long beach last year & the local beaches there were really good most of the time.
Congrats again on your catches! Keep up the good work.
LL