PDA

View Full Version : Fishing report, Eastern Sierra trip July 20 -22

jbuck64
07-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Friday afternoon shore fished Virginia Lakes. Caught five trout on Orange Zeke's with Garlic spray scent. One of the fish I couldn't identify the species. I'll post a picture later. Saturday morning got a few at Mammoth Creek east of 395. Salmon eggs on a single #14 egg hook. Went up to check out Saddlebag lake, but lake was way down. I could see the bottom of the dam. Headed for Owens river, but way too windy in the afternoon. Couldn't get anything to bite. Finished day out at Lake George. Got 3 nice rainbows and was then chased off by the local bear I had heard about. The bear didn't actually chase me. One of the other fisherman warned me she was coming so I got out of there before she got near me. She had two teenage cubs with her. I saw one of the cubs come off the trail after me. Sunday morning I gave Convict Lake a try. Got a couple nice rainbows from shore on fluorescent green power bait. Had what felt like a big one break off on a fly and bubble. Weather was a little on the warm side. Nice trip anyway.

pc2mac
07-25-2012, 02:50 PM
Sounds like you were in Mammoth the same time we were. I kept a lookout for the bears but fortunately, none came by while we were at Lake Mary. That's great you got on some fish.

jbuck64
07-25-2012, 05:55 PM
I read your post. SO were you more on the east side? I had always fished the west side in the past. we got skunked at Mary.

pc2mac
07-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Yep, the east side usually works better for us so we always start there first.

jbuck64
07-25-2012, 10:27 PM
I'll be heading back up there next Wednesday. I'll try the east side of Mary.

pc2mac
07-26-2012, 08:33 AM
Good luck, the weather will get warm again so early in the morning or late in the afternoon/early evening will be your best bets...