PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Local Ponds for Bass???

SlayinRainbows
07-25-2012, 12:24 PM
Hi guys,
I was thinking about trying out some of my local city ponds for bass on the fly. I'm within 15 min of Peck Rd, Santa Fe Dam, Legg Lake and a few others. I heard in the summer time the bass come into the shallows to feed on bait fish and what not. I was wondering if anybody could give me some advice? I'm pretty sure I know what bugs and streamers to use, I know to look for structure and dawn / dusk are the best time to fish for them. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

SlayinRainbows
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Oh yeah, I heard it's better to keep a shorter leader as well. I'm only using a 5 wt rod, I know that's a little small for bass bugs, but I heard if you shorten up the leader to about 6' and thicken it up a little, maybe 11lbs? I know that's supposed to help drive some of the bigger air resistant bugs on a lighter rod like that. Anyways, like I said...any help is appreciated. My experience with a fly rod is limited to messing around in the shallows for small panfish so I'm completely new to this. Just looking for ways to pass the summer until some of the trout streams start flowing a little better!

white belt
07-25-2012, 01:21 PM
I've only caught one bass on the fly but I have gotten alot of head turns. Retrieve fast, something that pops or shines and work structure. Almost the same as bass fishing with a standard rod. Only difference is the casting. Good luck! Legg, top lake, will probably be the best spot. I havent seen any bass in the shallow water anywhere else.

seal
07-25-2012, 01:32 PM
Do not believe that you have to toss a big fly or clouser type fly to catch LMB's on the fly. Most of my bass come on a fairly typical black wooly bugger with a red head, yes clousers and big ugly bugs work great for bass but with the 5 weight there is no reason that you can't catch them on smaller fly's especially if the bait/fry is small.

Skyler
07-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Dragonfly patterns on top water. Baitfish and craws stripped in subsurface, and worm patterns drifted below a floating line. Don't worry about slapping the water. The impact often triggers a bite. Also, really keep an eye on your line. Takes can be very subtle.

SlayinRainbows
07-25-2012, 03:40 PM
Awesome guys thank you. Good to hear from you again skyler.