PDA

View Full Version : How to rig a slip bobber?

mission89
07-24-2012, 10:18 PM
hello friends,
how do i rig a slip bobber to fish for trout at big bear. ill be fishing off my kayak and just trying to see what works. it seems this is the method up there right now using power bait..and also will the power bait sink with this method, considering its meant to float?. thanks for any help!!

LuckyCraft420
07-24-2012, 10:50 PM
Start with by putting a line stopper on the main line. Then put on the slip bobber next (make sure it's not too big). Followed by an egg sinker, then a little bead. Tie on swivel below with typical leader. 2-4# test, 12-24 inches.

How it works. The line stopper is the key, it allows to to make a 5 foot leader (below the bobber), into a 20 foot leader in under 10 seconds and without having to re-tie knots. When fishing lakes you don't know, start at 5 feet and keep adjusting until you start getting bit or find the bottom (the bobber will turn on its side).

Troutin Man
07-24-2012, 10:52 PM
I don't think you need a fish finder. You won't be able to distinguish the fish types anyway. The fishing reports are pretty good at telling you where you can fish. And trust your gut too! That sometimes works right?

As for the slip bobber rig, I hope it helps.

1. Put your stopper on the line first.

2. Then run your line through the slip bobber.

3. Then run the line through a sliding egg weight and tie a swivel the end of it. The bobber will slip between the bobber stopper and the swivel. The egg weight will slide to the bottom on top of the swivel and rest there.

4. Run the stopper up your line a bit from the swivel. I run it up about 10 feet to start.

5. Tie a leader to the swivel at the point with your favorite hook! About 3 feet?

Sometimes I do not put a sliding egg weight above the swivel. I just tie the swivel on. Then I run a line down from the swivel with a hook, and then I tie a bell weight a few feet below the hook. The bell weight is at the very bottom of the rigging. You can do multiple hooks above the bell weight too if you want. But this is complicated and I highly recommend being on a boat/kayak and dropping this line down cuz of tangles with multiple hooks/leaders. Then let the reel open and let the current take it.

You will also need to adjust the depth by running the bobber stopper higher up your line...depending on how deep you want it to go.

Anyway, I hope it makes sense. You can google images of the rigging you want too! Good luck to you buddy!

Troutin Man
07-24-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes! OC Fishing is absolutely on it! Don't forget the bead. And then just slide your stopper up and down the line until you find the bite zone. :)

marinate
07-24-2012, 11:33 PM
I will be at BBL in a couple of weeks with my two son's, my brother in law and his son. We'll be in kayaks also. I'm hoping to get into some crappie and bluegill if I can. I think trout may be tougher to target with the warm weather lately.

As far as the slip bobber set up goes, the previous posts were great...good suggestions and details. The only variation I might try is using a Carolina Keeper instead of a swivel. It's a lot easier and fewer knots to worry about. The only negative is you can't have a leader with different lb test than your main line.

Hope you have fun and please post a report.

LuckyCraft420
07-25-2012, 12:59 AM
I haven't fished at BBL. But, if the trout are the same as every other lake, you need a 4# leader. I recommend using a 6-8# main line, that way the line stopper doesn't slowly slide around on it's own. I use the slip bobber technique for mealworm/ hot dog cat fishing, so I use 30# braid (have it on a bait caster).

mission89
07-25-2012, 05:18 PM
Good stuff guys!! thanks for the tips, and it makes sense to use a slip bobber since trout aren't always off the bottom I'm sure especially in a deeper lake like bbl. I'm planning on using my kayak up there more often so expect some reports on my progress. ill probobly end up buying a fish finder to, maybe ill have an advantage on this fish.

mission89
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
oh also one question for you guys how do you rig power bait on the slip bobber? thanks again for the help and if anyone one is down to hit up the lake let me know!!

LuckyCraft420
07-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Just don't pull the typical drunk guy with a fish finder routine. "find the fish in the fish finder, then cast out in front of you, and wonder why your not getting but." drop the line straight down, off the aide of the kayak.

I know it sounds too dumb to happen, but I've seen it more than once.

mission89
07-25-2012, 05:42 PM
haha thats actually what i was wondering, so the key is to fish right under what the fish finder detect " under the boat" so then whats the use of a fish finder detecting up to 20 feet to the sides like they advertise?