PDA

View Full Version : I need help?

Thisfool
07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
ok so i am very interested in doing some float tubing in my local bays but aside from live bait i have no clue as what to buy.

Knowing my self i thought i should ask what i need before i buy tons of stuff that either does not work or is way above my skill level.

ive done a little bit of reading and im guessing Carolina rigging perch grubs is where i should start.

so what do you guys and gals think remember keep it basic im a newb.

any info or advice is greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

5150fishn
07-25-2012, 09:42 AM
Travis, the perch grubs work just fine but you might want to get some Big Hammer swim baits and some Berkley jerk shads along with some lead heads and you should be good to go bro!

Thisfool
07-25-2012, 09:52 AM
Travis, the perch grubs work just fine but you might want to get some Big Hammer swim baits and some Berkley jerk shads along with some lead heads and you should be good to go bro!

cool cool i now it seems obvious but i have no idea how to use a swimbait to just cast it out and retrive or do i jigg it or all of the above lol

5150fishn
07-25-2012, 09:57 AM
cool cool i now it seems obvious but i have no idea how to use a swimbait to just cast it out and retrive or do i jigg it or all of the above lol
I generally cast it out and retrieve it but if that doesn't work I change the speed of my retrieve. Slow it down for a couple of seconds then speed it up. I am sure jigging it would work also but I have yet to try it. I am by no means a expert in this area but have had some luck in the harbors.

bassfishing24/7
07-25-2012, 12:13 PM
I use mostly the same techniques in salt water the way i Fish for lmb,texas rig grubs and creatures,jig heads w trailers or swim baits,even my fresh water crawfish scent works!!very slow retrieve bouncing the bait off the bottom,dropshotting gulp minnows works very good too!

Thisfool
07-25-2012, 12:53 PM
I use mostly the same techniques in salt water the way i Fish for lmb,texas rig grubs and creatures,jig heads w trailers or swim baits,even my fresh water crawfish scent works!!very slow retrieve bouncing the bait off the bottom,dropshotting gulp minnows works very good too!

hmm ok sounds good.

so like what size sinkers and hooks n stuff i dont really do much LMB fishing either.

ityperx
07-25-2012, 01:11 PM
When I fish the harbor, I use weighted hooks such as the gamakatsu one size 1/0. I fish with the berkeley gulp! nuke chicken flavor. No sinker necessary, since you're on a tube. Swimbaits will work as well as someone had mention(big hammer). I've tried kastmasters as well(it actually works). Most spoon lures will work too, but I usually jigg the bottom with gulp chicken and new penny shrimp.

Thisfool
07-25-2012, 04:26 PM
When I fish the harbor, I use weighted hooks such as the gamakatsu one size 1/0. I fish with the berkeley gulp! nuke chicken flavor. No sinker necessary, since you're on a tube. Swimbaits will work as well as someone had mention(big hammer). I've tried kastmasters as well(it actually works). Most spoon lures will work too, but I usually jigg the bottom with gulp chicken and new penny shrimp.

ok great thanks for the info

Rooster
07-25-2012, 04:40 PM
I like the 3 inch Big Hammers for inside.. Anything with red flake in it usually gets nailed.
Also if you happen to land a big hali or something & decide to keep it.. Do not just hang it off the side of your tube.
Seen alot of close calls with small boats and tubers nearly getting flipped by a seal. Im sure you knew but just incase :Envious:

Thisfool
07-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I like the 3 inch Big Hammers for inside.. Anything with red flake in it usually gets nailed.
Also if you happen to land a big hali or something & decide to keep it.. Do not just hang it off the side of your tube.
Seen alot of close calls with small boats and tubers nearly getting flipped by a seal. Im sure you knew but just incase :Envious:

actually seals are a big concern of mine and honestly making me very nervous about hitting the salt with the float tube. I mean obviously im going to get a PFD before i attempt it and im only going to go if i have a buddy to go with but im still a bit unsure about the seals

bassfishing24/7
07-25-2012, 09:37 PM
actually seals are a big concern of mine and honestly making me very nervous about hitting the salt with the float tube. I mean obviously im going to get a PFD before i attempt it and im only going to go if i have a buddy to go with but im still a bit unsure about the seals
Dont worry about the seals,its the sea lions u gotta watch out for,they sometime like to play peek a boo with u!!i dont see alot of them out there but u never know.and btw get ur pfd before u go out ti either fresh or salt water.

Thisfool
07-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Dont worry about the seals,its the sea lions u gotta watch out for,they sometime like to play peek a boo with u!!i dont see alot of them out there but u never know.and btw get ur pfd before u go out ti either fresh or salt water.

thats a good point especially since ill be in a float tube with only one bladder i felt fine with out one in my old one since it had 3 very large bladders