PDA

View Full Version : Irvine Lake Friday 7/20/12

t3rry
07-23-2012, 09:11 AM
Went fishing with family. Got to the lake around 6:20 and got on the pontoon asap.

Got nothing for the first 4 hours or so of the day and around 10 ~ 11 am it started to really pick up. After the first fish we got 4 consecutive fish within 5 minutes.

Slowed down for nothing again until around high noon we got another 3

After that we basically picked 1 or 2 per hour

Ended the day at 8:40 pm with 19 fish total between the 4 of us and about 6 missed bites and 1 broken line. We had to have hooked into a nice one because it broke braided line pretty easily.

Fish averaged 3~4 lbs with the biggest one I think it was a blue catfish weighed around 7 lbs. We couldn't get a picture because it was too dark and our camera's wouldn't take pictures properly and our phones were too low on battery to take a flash photo on them.

Gear used

Ultralight 8ft trout rod
15lb Braided line
12lb Flouro leader

I had my jig stick for saltwater setup with 65lb braid and I tied on that old school Castaic Trout and I hooked into something big for about 10 seconds and it somehow shook off the trout and detached that soft plastic body from the head of the bait while it was at it :(.

Amazing day of fishing and if I told you what bait I was using you guys wouldn't believe me anyways. Let's just say the the fish seemed to have a sweet tooth that day :). Hog Wild and Bites On Cajun wasn't working at all, the baits with those 2 things on it got MAYBE 3 bites all day together.

Sorry for not having pics but if you were at the lake that day I'm sure you saw my long *** trout rod bent all day lol. I was the one without a net so I had to lip all my damn catfish like I was lipping a giant bass lying on my back and what not LOL.

fishinarteest
07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Great job out there. plan to hit up irvine the middle of next month.

5150fishn
07-23-2012, 08:15 PM
Sounds like a great day on the water! LMAO at having to lip all of your cats. Thanks for the report. Sweet you say. HMMM?

t3rry
07-24-2012, 07:35 AM
Sounds like a great day on the water! LMAO at having to lip all of your cats. Thanks for the report. Sweet you say. HMMM?

Marshmallows lol. I KID YOU NOT.... plain old marshmallows all they wanted that day... I had hog wild / cajun , mackeral, chicken liver, meal worms , and etc etc... I had EVERYTHING. Marshmallows caught all the fish lol had I known I coulda saved 20 bux on bait and just bought the 2 dollar gigantic bag of marshmallows lol.

5150fishn
07-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Marshmallows lol. I KID YOU NOT.... plain old marshmallows all they wanted that day... I had hog wild / cajun , mackeral, chicken liver, meal worms , and etc etc... I had EVERYTHING. Marshmallows caught all the fish lol had I known I coulda saved 20 bux on bait and just bought the 2 dollar gigantic bag of marshmallows lol.

I had a feeling that was your bait when you said sweet!LOL You just never know what the magic bait will be for the day but in your case the cheapest was the ticket. You should come out to the Catfish Co-op at the Vine on August 11th. It will be a great time had by all!

fishfnatic
07-25-2012, 08:16 AM
Awesome job out there! *runs to store to buy economy size bag of marshmallows*

good kentucky
07-25-2012, 11:38 PM
Good job out there! And great job lipping all of those cats!!

t3rry
07-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Btw.... Cats can bite down on ur thumb pretty hard... I can only imagine what noodling feels like