PDA

View Full Version : 7/22 Lagoon Blues

River Monster
07-22-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi all,

First ever report on this forum, and also first ever time at Castaic. Brought the wife along on a trip hoping to catch some bluegills for fun. Tried the south side of the lagoon because the water level seemed super low and it seemed deeper towards that end. Fished from 6:30 to 11:30 for 1 fat striped.. skunk. I was using inflated nightcrawlers as bait, 1 rod with carolina rig and the other with a crappie rig tipped with nightcrawler pieces. No bites.

Fun part of the day was seeing a nice LMB swim past in about 4 feet of water around 8 in the morning while my rod was cast about 40 feet from shore. That and all the small bass fry darting around right at my feet. It was nice day... but was really hoping to put my wife on to some fish to convince her to fish more with me... :LOL: If any of you have any tips for this Castaic noob, please do tell or leave me a PM. Thanks!

aramirez1988
07-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Hey River,
I was about to post up my own experience at Castaic, but mine is about the main lake. I was right there with you though with that skunk! All morning, bunch of different set-ups and NADA. Still a beautiful day, it was my first time there but not my last!

eggot
07-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Castaic ain't easy. Try moving around next time. The southern part gets a lot of pressure, but I have caught my fair share of lmb from there. Vary your casting distance from shore too. I used to catch plenty of lil bluegills as a kid during the summers within 10-15 feet from shore whenever the lmb weren't cooperating.

ZipperWurm
07-23-2012, 09:10 PM
i know that feel....was there last night from 1am to 3am looking for a fatty lmb....no love...

CL SmooV
07-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Try the north end on your next visit. The gills stack up in the hydrilia back there. Use meal or wax worms under a bobber 12-16 inches. Find an opening in the veggies.

Good luck!

River Monster
07-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info guys! Smooth, when you are talking about the north end, are you referring to the east side or west of the lagoon? Because when I got to the 24-hour fishing parking lot it doesn't seem I can go past that parking lot to the campground unless I had a camping permit. Do you just park near the fishing pier and hike north past the campground?

The upper lake seems huge, and I wouldn't even know where to start fishing except at the dam area.

eggot
07-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Smooth, when you are talking about the north end, are you referring to the east side or west of the lagoon? Because when I got to the 24-hour fishing parking lot it doesn't seem I can go past that parking lot to the campground unless I had a camping permit. Do you just park near the fishing pier and hike north past the campground?

The upper lake seems huge, and I wouldn't even know where to start fishing except at the dam area.

You can't shore fish off the west side of the lagoon. Theyll ticket you for that. Just park in the normal parking lots on the east side and walk north. It's good exercise.

Also, upper lake is really limited from shore and I'd avoid the dam area as it is pretty meh except for stripers, but thats meh too; however there are a few great spots from shore if you're willing to do a little hiking.