PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Napa Valley Need Help

Countryboys
07-22-2012, 06:20 PM
Hey i was heading to Napa Valley & Yountville for a little vacation and wanted to sneak in some fishing. Any hot spots streams or lakes you might know about or tackle suggestions. Thinking on some stripper on the Napa. Any help will be appreciated. All i know lately is the Jewel.

Thanks
John

Cartman
07-22-2012, 09:16 PM
Hey i was heading to Napa Valley & Yountville for a little vacation and wanted to sneak in some fishing. Any hot spots streams or lakes you might know about or tackle suggestions. Thinking on some stripper on the Napa. Any help will be appreciated. All i know lately is the Jewel.

Thanks
John

Yeah, me too. I'm planning to visit Santa Rosa in the next few weeks. Put me on the list, too.

bassoholic
07-22-2012, 09:51 PM

Thanks
John

Nice Diamond Valley report..........I would suggest you put this in the right section and you might get some feedback.

Countryboys
07-23-2012, 08:24 AM
Nice Diamond Valley report..........I would suggest you put this in the right section and you might get some feedback.

Thanks i put it on the Nor Cal section as well. Thought i might get lucky with one of the Jewel Pros.

John

Natural Lefty
07-24-2012, 09:02 PM
My wife and I went to Santa Rosa a few years ago in June and fished. My wife had some luck at Sonoma Lake. At least she caught a good size Crappie and Bluegill. I kept getting bites but missing them. Spring Lake in Santa Rosa was a real surprise with bunches of Pumpkinseed Sunfish, as I recall. (They usually only live in the mountains.) We tried ocean fishing from shore in Bodega Bay and Tomales Bay and came up empty, then we went to Fort Baker Pier where we caught a bunch of Red Rock Crab in our hoopnet plus a few small perch. Well, that's pretty much what I remember and I hope this helps. Oh, the crabs if you are interested, crawl like crazy when the tide is slack, but when the tide is moving at Fort Baker, the current is overpowering and everything goes into hiding.

I hope this helps.

Cartman
07-26-2012, 08:23 PM
My wife and I went to Santa Rosa a few years ago in June and fished. My wife had some luck at Sonoma Lake. At least she caught a good size Crappie and Bluegill. I kept getting bites but missing them. Spring Lake in Santa Rosa was a real surprise with bunches of Pumpkinseed Sunfish, as I recall. (They usually only live in the mountains.) We tried ocean fishing from shore in Bodega Bay and Tomales Bay and came up empty, then we went to Fort Baker Pier where we caught a bunch of Red Rock Crab in our hoopnet plus a few small perch. Well, that's pretty much what I remember and I hope this helps. Oh, the crabs if you are interested, crawl like crazy when the tide is slack, but when the tide is moving at Fort Baker, the current is overpowering and everything goes into hiding.

I hope this helps.

That helps tons. Thanks a lot. Lefty, you come through again. Yay! I will get on the google maps and make plans now. Thanks again!

Marley
07-26-2012, 09:04 PM
Not much to the Napa River right now as you start to move into the valley, not much more than a trickle if that. Only chance for stripers in the river would be down around Cuttings Wharf when the tide moves. Maybe downtown Napa. Better bet would be a local lake for crappie or catfish. Good luck,

Natural Lefty
07-26-2012, 09:46 PM
I remembered some more fishing info. since then. It was about 5 years ago that we went to Santa Rosa, by the way, and we stayed in the Extended Stay America hotel for a week at a low rate we got through Priceline by "naming our own price." It was a really nice place.

Sonoma Lake has a lot of wild Steelhead Trout, apparently, which spawn in the inlets. I think the inlets might have special regs or be off limits, but people can catch them in the lake. They aren't that easy to catch from shore though, apparently. The lake is also known for good Redear Sunfish fishing, but somehow, we came up empty on those.

We also fished at Lawson's Landing in Tomales Bay, and tried crabbing there. We caught several good size Jacksmelt, which we ended up trading with some other people for crabs. They were a few feet farther out and were catching crabs, but we weren't. We were catching fish, but they weren't, and they were running out of crab bait, so we traded. Some of the crabs there were Dungeness, plus there were Red Rock Crab.

We also drove by the Russian River several times, which is in the area, and it seemed inviting, although we didn't fish there. We did see some turnouts for fishing and in retrospect, probably should have tried it. The river has a lot of fish species which can be caught, including Steelhead and Salmon, Smallmouth, Catfish, and probably some Trout and panfish.

I think Clear Lake and Blue Lakes, while not very close by, are not that far away, either.