PDA

View Full Version : S.W.A.T. White Sea Bass Part 2.5

Which Way Out
07-22-2012, 09:42 AM
Sat. 7/21/2012

Local White Sea Bass Tournament

Well Mikey and I got invited to use a very nice Boat provided by a local named, Brent C. Mikes boat motor is still down from the trip of a lifetime on 7/7.

Everything went as planned and we were on the Spot by 6 am. We made squid and set out the lines. Other competitors were there and continued to show up for the next hour or so. Maybe as many a 30+boats and Kayaks.

Not even an hour goes by and Mike is hooked up. As always its a nice fish and soon I gaff it and bring it on board. Afterward Brent and I keep making squid and are ready to grab one of the other rods should one get bit...

We reset the lines and not more than 20 or 30 minutes go by. Mike hooks up again............... Big Fish. It heads to one of the other top competitors boat and anchor line. The line made contact with the rope and got hung up for a few minutes. While the guys on the other boat did their best to free the line, which they did, I noticed Mike had his reel in free spool. Hummm I do take mental notes even when the heat is on. The line was cleared and the battle continued. After a long drawn out fight the fish came along side the boat. It was still not wanting give up. 3 more good head and tail shakes then it was ready for the gaff. On the boat with 2 quality fish within 30 minutes by Mike.

Not sure how the next 3 when down, but I can say we all got another chance at fish. But the fish didn't want anything to do with it. I hooked up around 8:15 and was fighting one for a good long while when, ding! the line cut. Win some lose some I guess.

Brent hooked up as well, Big Fish.... Mike said were going after it. So the anchor line was lifted and the engine started. Brent was on the bow, Mike was driving and off we go to open water. We went at least 300+ yards off our spot with Brent working hard on the fish. Then all of a sudden the hook pulled......:Sad: That would of been his first WSB on a rod and reel. He has shot many spearfishing but not on a rod. I hope he's hooked on the idea of being connected to the fish in a different way. Now he has one of those stories that we all have about the one that got away. You remember them even longer I think.

Well the weigh in was at 4:30 so we headed back after a long uneventful afternoon. The morning bite was the time to be there.

Not many fish at the scales and only one person had a double (Mike). Total weight was over 91 pounds for two fish. Not sure of the official results, but I think Mike won, and had Big Fish of the Day.

Thanks to Brent for the invite and use of his boat. Will get em next time.

Congratulations to Mikey aka Exfactor for what could be not only the Days tournament win, but may even be the overall Championship win.

Here a couple of pic's of the day. Dang I should of got some of the scale weight.:Confused:

WWO

http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/twomore.jpg
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/morebig.jpg

For Minute I thought Mike was gonna make us some Coffee:ROFL:
http://i769.photobucket.com/albums/xx340/WhichWayOut/coffee.jpg

exfactor
07-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for taking some shots of my fish for me Bill. Will see you at next months meeting. Glad Brent hooked us up for the tourney.

Wingnut
07-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Congrats on winning the tournament Mikey. :Thumbs Up:
Looks like they're still hanging around. :Big Grin:
Brent & Bill, I know how you guys feel... I lost my first two big fish on my last trip with Mikey. :mad:
Sometimes the fish gets to win... :Wink:

bachiboy
07-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Way to go guys...and congratulations Mikey! Sounds like you took some lumps but at least you were able to get a couple on the deck.

Awesome job and thanks for the report!
Don

bones
07-23-2012, 11:37 AM
Awesome job out there boyz. Good to see that the big girls hung around for you all and congrats on the win Mikey. You da man!

Which Way Out
07-23-2012, 05:41 PM
Two of the Biggest fish on FNN (Wingnut and Bones) not even a comment about the Coffee Grinder..:Crying:

Wingnut
07-23-2012, 06:44 PM
Two of the Biggest fish on FNN (Wingnut and Bones) not even a comment about the Coffee Grinder..:Crying:

What's the big deal with catching Squid with the Sabiki on a coffee grinder rig Bill? :LOL:

Now, if you told me that Mikey landed those big Tankers with it I would be really impressed. :Shocked:

Which Way Out
07-23-2012, 07:32 PM
What's the big deal with catching Squid with the Sabiki on a coffee grinder rig Bill? :LOL:

Now, if you told me that Mikey landed those big Tankers with it I would be really impressed. :Shocked:

Mike didn't even want to be photographed holding one.... Hehehehe Don't think he can't catch a Tanker on one, he will make you look like a Sheep, Baaaad.
And he is my yoda, so hands off. I heard the conversation today........:ROFL:
WWO

JapanRon
07-24-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi which way out,

Looks like you knew which way to the fish !! Nice goin' and great fair play by competitor / buddies !!

JapanRon

Which Way Out
07-24-2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks for taking some shots of my fish for me Bill. Will see you at next months meeting. Glad Brent hooked us up for the tourney.
Anytime Mike...
Can't wait till the next meeting. Should be fun to meet everyone all at the same time.

And Major Kudos to Brent, he did hook us up didn't he. Kinda spoiled riding on a boat like that. But somehow I didn't feel as connected to the water as I do in your boat. I hope you get good news or at least not real bad news on the motor.

Congrats on winning the tournament Mikey. :Thumbs Up:
Looks like they're still hanging around. :Big Grin:
Brent & Bill, I know how you guys feel... I lost my first two big fish on my last trip with Mikey. :mad:
Sometimes the fish gets to win... :Wink:
Arthur I don't feel bad. It was a great day.
We had 5 Big WSB bite. Just one is great, but to get chance is all I can ask. Besides I am 6 for 9 this year if you count the one from the surf. Their are big fish with sharp teeth, gonna lose one now and then. It is Sportfishing after all. If someone takes it to serious, the fun goes away IMO.

Way to go guys...and congratulations Mikey! Sounds like you took some lumps but at least you were able to get a couple on the deck.

Awesome job and thanks for the report!
Don
Thanks Don
We weren't even sure we had a boat till late Friday afternoon. Brent came through for us. Would of be real cool to see him show his wife a Big fish.
Lumps are part of the game. Yea I knew right away when the line broke that it was gone for good. But I remained calm, no cussing or what have ya. It happens. I have caught enough this year to understand how the fish reacts and what not to do. Mostly all I can say is, the fish are getting bigger.

Awesome job out there boyz. Good to see that the big girls hung around for you all and congrats on the win Mikey. You da man!
Mike I wish I could see you on a boat just once. These big girls would love to give you a beat down....:LOL: Exspecially if you brought the wrong ROD!:Shocked:
Yea Mikey is the Da Man. Whats that make me, Chico?

Hi which way out,

Looks like you knew which way to the fish !! Nice goin' and great fair play by competitor / buddies !!

JapanRon
Thanks Ron. Good to see that you are keeping in touch.
The guys on the other boat are way cool. I think they broke off at least 2 fish as well. I know they were fishing hard. We pulled in not far from them and they saw Mike hook up right away twice. Could of heard a pin drop from that boat. Or at least a few mumbles..

SBH20Man
07-25-2012, 01:42 PM
Hey guys - Brent here. I realized that after we fished together, I never got your email addresses, so I had to track you down on the "Internets"... Does that make me a stalker? :Big Grin:

Great write-up Bill, and CONGRATULATIONS to Mike for winning the tourney (though I noticed the WON article didn't mention the skills (and humility) of the captain of the vessel....)

It was a great day of fishing, and Mike, thanks for showing me how its done (and NOT done - "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!") on H&L for wsb.

Its funny, this week I'm dreaming about 50# fish and in the dream I have a rod in my hands instead of a gun... :Razz: Let's go do it again!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/sbsyncro/Spearboard/003f1b78.jpg

ToadsToadsOnly
07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Great Report Bill, congrats on continuing the Tanker Slay and winning the contest. I still have a Fever.. Must... Go... seabass fishing.....

Which Way Out
07-25-2012, 08:43 PM
Hey guys - Brent here. I realized that after we fished together, I never got your email addresses, so I had to track you down on the "Internets"... Does that make me a stalker? :Big Grin:

Great write-up Bill, and CONGRATULATIONS to Mike for winning the tourney (though I noticed the WON article didn't mention the skills (and humility) of the captain of the vessel....)

It was a great day of fishing, and Mike, thanks for showing me how its done (and NOT done - "DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING!!!!") on H&L for wsb.

Its funny, this week I'm dreaming about 50# fish and in the dream I have a rod in my hands instead of a gun... :Razz: Let's go do it again!

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s177/sbsyncro/Spearboard/003f1b78.jpg

Cool Brent to see you found us.
Thanks again for the great hospitality on your boat. We couldn't of done it without you:Thumbs Up:

Mikey is The Master Yoda of fisherman and I will defend that against anyone on the West Coast. From Washington to Cabo. Each trip or lunch we share is a lifetime of fishing stories for most people. Either diving off Baja or getting Bluefin along the coast he has not only done it, but knows how to do it. Heck I've done a lot of things, but most of the time I couldn't repeat it. He can. I am still amazed no matter where we go the seasoned fisherman we bump into know him very well. They know if Mike is there fish will be caught. Don't even get me started on fresh water........

"Lets do it again!" You bet !! I think Mike will be out of town soon for a few days and I will be way out of town on Aug 4th. After that lets get together again and try our luck...

PM sent with my info.

WWO

Great Report Bill, congrats on continuing the Tanker Slay and winning the contest. I still have a Fever.. Must... Go... seabass fishing.....

Jonathan what happen? Did you get back up here. Sorry our phones didn't get connected well. Hands free devices :Angry: I know a guy, who knows a guy, that can get cell phones...:Wink:
Rumor is that today the bite was slow at best. May have moved out of the spot. I'll keep you posted if things change.
Happy Hunting

WWO

crappiemike
08-15-2012, 09:45 PM
Looked like a nice day up there...
Local salt at its finest!!!
Nice!!!

Cm

Which Way Out
08-22-2012, 06:17 AM
Your not kidding Mike.
For some reason I think the bite will return there given some time to calm down. Squid boats still hitting the spot now and then. Hopefully a new batch of fish come through.

WWO