PDA

View Full Version : Castaic Help

FishTaco818
07-21-2012, 08:17 PM
I am going to Castaic tomorrow afternoon (2pm) and am seeking help from those who fish the lake regularly.

If I am fishing from shore, should I go to the upper or lower lake? Should I try by an inlet or cove?

We will be fishing for LMB, stripers, cats, and/or carp. Would nightcrawlers or other bait work there in the afternoon or should we ditch that and go straight for lures?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. C&R all the way!

cutbait
07-21-2012, 08:25 PM
Your shooting yourself in the foot

A. from shore

B. 2pm

C. LMB, Cats, and or carp as a target species

D. Your question if upper or lower??

Are you reading the reports on this board? Its pretty much spelled out for you

FishTaco818
07-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Looking to catch any species, just want to have fun.

Every time I've gone to Castaic before I've been skunked... And had to pay $11 for parking. Double whammy

Just looking for some help from those knowledgeable... And yes I am reading the posts, just taking my time to research and give myself the best opportunity for me and my buddy to get on some fish

fishinone
07-21-2012, 09:23 PM
Cutbait is right, your shooting yourself in the foot.

You need to choose to fish for something. Night crawlers could catch either striper or bass but they aren't great bait for either.

I'm no bass fisherman so I won't tell you how to catch those.

If you want to try for striper, get fresh dead sardines from Gallion's Market in Castaic. Keep them as fresh a possible, like in a cooler right on the ice.

Go out on a point at the upper lake. Try casting to many different spots and depths. When you get hit cast back to that spot and put any other baits at the same general depth.

From shore, deeper is probably better.As

You might try the West Ramp and walk around the big cove on the left side of the ramp to the picnic table under the pine trees. Climb down the bluff and go out the point on the right. Cast toward the north east, try to get your baits right on top of the underwater ridge.

cutbait
07-21-2012, 09:41 PM
FT,, not trying to be a jerk, but it really is spelled out in the reports..

You want advice on the lake?

Get a rental, get there as lake opens, search with topwater baits... Do not show up at 2pm, do not fish shore

Again, there are numerous reports you should follow exactly as there is a decent bite

koifish
07-21-2012, 10:32 PM
rental can't chase the boil, it's too slow....
walk to the end on the dam, cast far to the tower

FishTaco818
07-22-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the tips, will hope for the best during my afternoon session.

cutbait
07-22-2012, 09:24 PM
So how did the afternoon fishing trip turn out?

fishinone
07-23-2012, 01:22 PM
Yea, a report would be nice. What did you try? What did you catch?

cutbait
07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
Yea, a report would be nice. What did you try? What did you catch?

Ron, Im sure Fishtaco is a decent enough guy, but nothing worse than someone asking for help and have three seasoned anglers respond and spell it out for him with requests for a report back, not even to mention the disgregard of advice given

Going to be difficult for a guy with 3 posts all on the same "help" thread get any future considerations eh?

Come on FishTaco? Where you at?

fishinone
07-24-2012, 07:54 AM
No doubt Mike. Can you imagine the report?

"My grandmother used to fish using a bobby pin and baloney. It worked for her so I went with that plan."

Fortunately some of those white trucks that say "Mariscos" sell good fish tacos.

Who knows? He could be too busy cleaning fish to post.

FishTaco818
07-25-2012, 03:17 AM
Geez, no love on this board anymore. haha. I've had other aliases on this board but keep forgetting my pw and the admin didn't reply with a new one in time... thus, I have minimal posts with this name.

fishinone - I wish I caught too many fish that I got busy cleaning them to update. As predicted by those in the know, my buddy and I got a big, fat skunk. We fished the upper lake from shore from about 2pm-5pm and threw some nightcrawlers, 'chovies, and lures... not even a nibble on any of them. We tried east of the boat dock, by the dam, and nothing. Maybe all of the jet skis and boats driving over our lines might have affected the bite (or lack there of). Literally, there was a guy on a jet ski who kept coming within 50 feet of us. I was almost ready to throw something at him.

With no love, we went down to the lagoon for an hour to fish off of the dock/pier. We saw a few small panfish but no nibbles on anything we presented from cut 'crawlers to small plastics.

All of the shore fishermen we talked to had no love or hadn't received a bite in the past 5 hours. Bad timing + lack of boat = bad day at Castaic (AGAIN!). Maybe I should have tried a sabiki rig... that is what I picked out of the advice given to me from this thread... haha.

All in all, still a fun day on the water. My passion is fishing ponds, creeks, streams, rivers... still looking to find my honey hole in LA County but none are within a reasonable drive from me.

Fish on!

fishinone
07-25-2012, 07:59 AM
Well that's no baloney there.

Thanks for the report. Were you at the West ramp?

There are a few places on the dam that work ok for bait n wait but describing them could be tough. It's rare that lots of people on the dam catch fish, it's usually a few people in specific locations.

Time on the water = fish

I've been catching a few fish from a boat on bait on slopes near shallower flats. That place I told you about is like that.

koifish
07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Well that's no baloney there.

It's rare that lots of people on the dam catch fish, it's usually a few people in specific locations.

I catch fish at the dam...:Big Grin:

cutbait
07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Good report FT and way to follow up!

It shows a level of respect to ask for help and then post up. Blind requests from first time posters are almost never replied to.

With all of Feel the steels and others reports of boils for sometime now that advice should have been heeded!

Im in Rons camp as far as fishing the shore,,,, Not for me!

Thanks FT for the comeback....

P.s.,,,, don't mock the sabiki

fishinone
07-25-2012, 07:43 PM
I catch fish at the dam...:Big Grin:

Hey koifish where have you been fishing lately?

Do you fish specific spots on the dam?

FishTaco818
07-25-2012, 10:22 PM
I tried the West ramp and dam, near the tower, on sunday. A bunch of people but no bites.

Are those on the water supposed to drive their boat or jet ski 100 feet away from shore? It was annoying how choose they got to my fishing spot. What can one do ”nicely” to get those fools to back up and follow the nautical rules?

fishinone
07-26-2012, 06:49 AM
I think that as long as the jet skier is in the personal water craft area, he's in the clear

Boaters are a problem all over the lake, especially in summer. They don't seem to notice that running in circles next to someone fishing, bothers them.

State boating laws prohibit running at speed within 100ft of a boat at anchor but it doesn't look like anyone tries to enforce it. I'm not aware of any laws prohibiting them from approaching shore fishermen, unless you fish inside of a 5 mph area.