PDA

View Full Version : Huntington Flats 7/19

Angler Pro
07-21-2012, 07:21 PM
Woke up early on 7/19 to make the drive down to Newport and fish the harbor and Huntington flats. Got on the water at about 5:30 and was at Newport bait barge at about 6am. Loaded up on some nice sized pin head anchovies and fished the barge for about a half an hour for a small halibut. Broke out the plastics and caught a 11 inch spotted bay bass. We then followed the Amigo and a couple other cattle boats out to the flats and fished there until 1pm. Lot's of traffic at the flats, few cattle boats from Long Beach were there. As soon as we dropped anchor my buddy hooks up with a nice fish and lost it as soon as we seen color. I then immediately hook up with a nice sand bass, about 19 inches caught on live anchovy. None of the cattle boats were catching anything, they would drop anchor and fish for an hour then move to a different spot. We fished 4 or 5 spots and ended up with 5 sand bass. Headed back to Newport harbor and fished by the bait barge for another small halibut. Proceeded to PCH bridge and caught a few leopard sharks and croakers. All in all a slow day, hoping for the flats to pick up.

TUNAVIC
07-21-2012, 09:04 PM
Nice going,yeah it seems this year is a little strange,July fishing the flats,normally you'd expect an easy limit,oh well at least no skunk and looks like you got some good taco meat,by the way if you bleed those sandies as soon as you catch them and then throw them on ice,you'll really notice the difference,enjoy and thanks for the report.

Cya Tuna Vic

JapanRon
07-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Hi Angler Pro,

Looks like a nice rounded trip with moving about to locate fish and action to boot.

JapanRon

Angler Pro
07-22-2012, 04:15 PM
Ya I missed the WFO bite on the cudas last month by the flats, busy fishing Newport harbor, silverwood, and Huntington surf. I will be on here posting more reports, still trying to figure out to post my pics in the thread instead of an attachment?