PDA

View Full Version : First Time For Perris Summer Bass

desertstorm
07-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Me and my pops will be heading out to Perris either tomorrow or sunday to shore fish for largies and have been seeing and hearing the talk about the topwater bass bite in the morning. I already plan on dropshotting MM and Morning Dawn robos in the afternoon, but am curious as to what type of bait/lure and colors are really working best for the morning bite. Any and all info would be greatly appreciated.

bassgrabber1
07-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Try light colored PopR's and spooks over by the docks.

desertstorm
07-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Got to the gate at 5:40 and decided to hit powerboat cove (lots 11 & 12) only to find that the gate was closed as well as all other gates down to the marina. When we asked a CA parks employee they said only the ranger could open the gates and it depends on when he gets around to doing it. At about 6:20 the ranger finally opened the gate and we made our way out. Started out throwing Poppers only to be pushed out of our spot by swarms of ants. It got so bad that we couldn't stand still without ants crawling all over us no matter where we went down the eastern shoreline all we found were ants. We moved down by the dam and walked out to the little pier there in an attempt to reach the deeper water as it was about 8:30 by this time. The pier was crowded, but we were able to find some room to cast out about halfway down. Several casts with a dropshot around the structure there failed to produce anything and finally a spot at the end opened up and I decided to jump in. I was curious how deep the water was so I dropped my line straight down over the edge. My weight hit the bottom and I went to reel my line back in and felt a tug so I set the hook sure enough I hooked up. I had to fight him back out from under the pier but was able to land him (1.5 pounder). After putting him back in I walked back halfway down the pier and cast right along it back to the end and sure enough I hooked up again, this time a dinker but a fish nonetheless. After some more attempts with no luck we headed down the dam. I continued throwing a dropshot while my dad went with a fly lined senko. After awhile I hooked up again on what felt like a big one but the bastard took me in to the rocks and got me snagged up (it's always about the one that got away). My dad did manage to erase his skunk catching one on the senko before we left just after 11.

bassgrabber1
07-22-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice that you guys were able to beat the skunk. The saying goes....when in doubt, drop shot it out!

desertstorm
07-22-2012, 04:40 PM
Nice that you guys were able to beat the skunk. The saying goes....when in doubt, drop shot it out!

you got it! anything works to get the taste of skunk out of your mouth too bad I had to taste it at skinner today.....