PDA

View Full Version : BBL five day report 7/15-7/20 (PICS)

fishermanx14
07-20-2012, 03:32 PM
Hey guys just to let you know we stayed at Serrano campground for 3 days and a motel 6 the last two days. Both places were clean and comfortable
Monday
Didnt fish at all just set up camp
Tuesday
Fished the shore right next to the observatory in the evening with no luck. I was using a slip bobber rigged 20 ft down with different powerbait.
Wensday
Got up early at the damn still using a slip bobber with no luck, fish jumping every where though. After my grandpa picked me up he wanted me to check out a little spot he found (grout bay picnic area) and so he dropped me off and i thew out one carolina rig and one slip bobber. After about 20 minutes of fishing with no luck i looked closely at the water and a saw a very good sized bluegill so i tied on a mosquito hook with a piece of night crawler just enough to cover the hook ( no weight at all) i threw it our good ten feet and let it fall slowly then bam got my first good sized gill. I really enjoyed the fact that you could see the worm the whole time so you can see when you get a hit. Walked around a little bit and found a little clearing in a weed bed and i casted out then a little bass took it which was pretty cool. After the first bass, right another 3 or 4 pounder hit my worm and jumped and he let go. After a few more gills i also got another smaller bass. The last fish of the day was this little blue striped blue gill or as i like to call them lightning fish...does anyone know what kind of fish this is? 36364363653636636367
Thursday
Fished the grout bay picnic area again with giant stringers of blue gills the size of the one in the pic above. headed down to the damn in the evening with a slip bobber rigged down 5 feet thanks to local tips and got one hit on a night crawler and didnt get anything on powerbait the people next to us got 2 trout on a slip bobber with a nightcrawler.
Friday
Had to pack up and leave.....back to the smog 36371
Over all a great trip, no trout due to water temps but your best bet would be fish the damn at sun set and maybe a little after dark with a slip bobber down 4 or five feet. And for pan fish use a mosquito hook and a piece of night crawler just enough to cover the hook when you throw it out let is sit for a good 2 minutes then twitch it every minute after that and you should get some fish

M@M
07-20-2012, 05:06 PM
Those Blue gill are tasty! I filet them, then beer batter. Looks like you had a great time. Thanks for pics and report.

fishermanx14
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
thats exactly what i did hahah

M@M
07-21-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm going to fish Big Bear on Sunday.... any particular spot you might want to share with me for the blue gill..... if you don't thats cool too.... PM me if you want.... tight lines... Oh, were they biting all day or just early?

Natural Lefty
07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Fishermanx, that really purdy sunfish is a Pumpkinseed Sunfish, which are very common at Big Bear. Some of them are pretty good size too. My wife calls them Pumpkinfish. I have had good panfishing in Grout Bay too, but this April as I drove by there, it looked as though the facilities had changed a lot from before. It looks like you did well there on the panfish and bass, but I guess the trout weren't cooperating at BBL. Maybe it's the summer doldrums.

M&M, I used to catch some really large Bluegills and Pumpkinseeds from shore in Grout Bay on the east side of the bay. There was a sort of island in the best panfishing area with a channel between the island and the shore, but I am not sure if it's there anymore. I also caught occasional Crappie there. Most of them were caught on flies or microjigs and they were very eager biters. I think a lot of panfish were spawning there throughout the summer.

M@M
07-21-2012, 01:11 PM
Lefty, thanks for the info....I'll check it out tomorrow and let you know how I did.

fishermanx14
07-21-2012, 01:20 PM
did you get the pm?

M@M
07-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Yes, Thanks

FSHNLIC
07-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Nice report... bbl can be tough in the summer.. keep adjusting ur slip bobber til u find the right depth.... usually in th 5-25e ft depth range

Carptain_Bao
07-21-2012, 10:20 PM
didn't get a chance to try some fly fishing there?

fishermanx14
07-22-2012, 05:39 PM
i tried everything in my box, even small plastics and not one bite