PDA

View Full Version : Marina Del Rey 7/20/12 3 fish caught.

troutmastahh
07-20-2012, 01:49 PM
went out to the marina this morning with a friend at about 8am..we went to both bait docks in search of live bait and they both said they only had enough to save for the boats. so we ended up buying frozen suid and fished on via marina and pacific. i through a 3inch swim bait with mackerel colors and caught a short sand bass. a little while later my friend got hit off squid and landed a short calico, and i got hit as well and landed a short sand bass. my friend got slammed by something big that took him for a run and itmust have jammed itself between some rocks..anyways we cut the line. we headed out around 12:30. not too shabby for not having live bait.

smokehound
07-20-2012, 06:43 PM
That mystery fish was likely a spottie.

Spotties like to hide deep inside structure.

If you allow a spottie to go into the rocks it will flare its gills and lock all of its spines to wedge itself in.

If that happens, immediately put slack in your line and wait a few minutes for the spottie to relax.

When you think the fish has dropped its guard just start cranking and you SHOULD be able to pull him out.

Don't attempt to remove a deep hook just clip the line.

When fishing bait always keep your rod in your hand.

SP Dan
07-20-2012, 08:59 PM
Hi ya troutmastahh,

That's what I like about fishing....with one or two dependable baits.....just about any fish is possible!
Sounds like you guys had a good time catching lots of fish!

Thanks for posting your session! :Cool: It was a good read!

SP Dan <"))><

troutmastahh
07-21-2012, 12:22 PM
smokehound: yeah we tried that he just wouldnt budge, oh well he's still out there for someone else to catch.

SP dan: indeed youre right. i wouldve liked to throw some smelt out though. i havent failed at catching a halibut on smelt yet...only 2 times ive used them though.