PDA

View Full Version : GVL - no love, but yes on Big Bear

Troutin Man
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Played hookie with work to play hookie with fish. Went up to GLV this morning and it was pretty quiet up there...meaning no fish action. Threw in night crawlers, power bait in various colors, flies and various lures. Nobody caught nada. So headed over to Big Bear. Anglers were not catching there either...not that I could see...seriously...but it was my lucky day there. Caught 4 trout and 2 crappies. Crappies bit on elk caddis fly and trout were all lures. Power bait and night crawlers got no love at all. The trout were caught on kastmasters and thomas buoyants. It was a real nice day up there. I guess back to work tomorrow!

etaggart
07-19-2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the report, TM! Glad to hear you were catching.

Been a little slower than expected for me lately. The occasional small LMB on senkos, lots of crappie. Few trout when targeting with wooly buggers and the fly rod (but I haven't spent much time targeting the trout this year). I've shifted from the Observatory area (too many weeds now) to Windy Point (getting a little boring there fighting the chop once the wind and boaters wake up). Not yet sure where I'll work it from the tube this weekend.

I've been seeing lots of trout action from the Windy Point shoreline and anchored boats at the mouth of Grout Bay floating powerbait up a couple of feet from the bottom with sliding egg sinker. Wait long enough in a good spot and seems like good catching. Tough technique for me in the tube since it's hard to stay in one place (even with an anchor) - so I've been using a sliding bobber setup or fly fishing a wooly bugger when targeting the trout. Thinking out loud I may try the deeper waters in the west end for trout and see what happens.

D'you mind sharing which part of the lake was producing for you and whether shore, tube or boat?

Cheers,

Eric

Troutin Man
07-21-2012, 08:28 AM
I was catching near the buoy line near the dam and Grays Landing, but while I was out,I didn't see anyone else catching. It was slow, however I read reports that the trout action has picked up from surface down to 250 feet. I also fished near Luganita Point and there was no action at all there was carp but no trout. Good luck out there!