PDA

View Full Version : Whats up with the water?

GdHkSet1
07-18-2012, 09:47 PM
Son and I went out a couple of weekends ago trollin for striper and slayn gills, the water had a bluish tint to it-off color, over all the years @ DV never seen the water this color, it may just be me and my 13 y/o Would anyone have any info on why the water may have been treated? Had a fellow FNNer noticed the same a couple of days ago? Thanks tight lines.....

lpacheco00
07-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Was there yesterday fishing from the shore and there was some black stuff in the water looked like oil or something and algea too. Talked to some guy and he said they just got done treating the water.The fishing was horrible didnt get a single bite!!

Matt_Magnone
07-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Son and I went out a couple of weekends ago trollin for striper and slayn gills, the water had a bluish tint to it-off color, over all the years @ DV never seen the water this color, it may just be me and my 13 y/o Would anyone have any info on why the water may have been treated? Had a fellow FNNer noticed the same a couple of days ago? Thanks tight lines.....

lakes beautiful. love the color. looks like havasu south with a slightly stained look. hopefully it stays. it should open up doors for us!

Fysher
07-19-2012, 08:48 AM

That's what I also heard as well. How was the results for stripers and gills despite the water color? How big were the gills? Was planning on making a trip with a few buddies and try to get them on some striper and maybe just have fun with the gills on Ultra-light tackle.

thanks.

HawgZWylde
07-19-2012, 08:51 AM
I haven't heard of "blue stoning" occurring at DVL. After the algae bloom went away, I can't see any reason they would in fact do that. I do know that a couple of years ago the lake was over 100ft down. It takes a large body of water several years to recover from a devastating event like that. I think what's taking place is a natural occurrence. The lake is going through many changes due to "new" water and decaying organic matter from recently covered plant life. I think the blue water was kinda cool looking, it reminded me of the pictures I've seen of Lake Amistad, which is on my list of places I want to fish before I depart this world. The black chunks are not oil, but are dead patches of algae left over from the last algae bloom. The stained water in my book actually is a plus. I'm still getting some reaction bites, and I don't have to resort to light line finessing like many do in clear water. Went out Tuesday, and the water appears to be returning to more of a green color. And we did quite well for the LMB's...

HawgZWylde
07-19-2012, 09:07 AM
lakes beautiful. love the color. looks like havasu south with a slightly stained look. hopefully it stays. it should open up doors for us!

Matt, just wanted to let you know "they" worked! Threw em weightless, let them drop to the "depth", pop pop pop BANG!!! All three colors got hit. Thanks bro...

HawgStalker
07-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Matt, just wanted to let you know "they" worked! Threw em weightless, let them drop to the "depth", pop pop pop BANG!!! All three colors got hit. Thanks bro...

Hey HW.... Just wondering what "they" are? If you dont mind, send me a pm! Secret is safe with me my friend.....

bassoholic
07-19-2012, 10:09 AM
Hey HW.... Just wondering what "they" are? If you dont mind, send me a pm! Secret is safe with me my friend.....

Senkos I'm sure........all this secret squirrel stuff.....LOL

HawgZWylde
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Senkos I'm sure........all this secret squirrel stuff.....LOL

Nope, I rarely ever use Senkos, and when I do, it's usually after a topwater follow or short strike. I would love to be more specific about baits here, but some folks like to cause drama around here for giving out too much info. As far as I'm concerned, bait info really isn't nearly as relevant as location, timing, and technique...

kwin
07-19-2012, 04:40 PM

The water is the best possible color/tint/turbidity it could be for fishing. It looks like Lake Shasta or Oroville in the late spring.....Which is where the water coming into the lake is from more or less.

bassoholic
07-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Nope, I rarely ever use Senkos, and when I do, it's usually after a topwater follow or short strike. I would love to be more specific about baits here, but some folks like to cause drama around here for giving out too much info. As far as I'm concerned, bait info really isn't nearly as relevant as location, timing, and technique...

All the more reason to not even make a post like that then. I'm sure Matt feels the same way when 400 people come in the store each day and ask him how to catch fish. I'm sure he tells them, "It's all about presentation not the kind of bait you are using." LOL Then you say "as far as I'm concerned, bait info isn't nearly as relevant as location, timing, and technique," but you won't tell him your bait? Sounds slightly contradicting to me. And yes, I use Baby Brush Hogs too.

GdHkSet1
07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
FNN
Thanks for all the inputs about the water-appreciate the feedback everyone.

Fysher the gills and Redear where pretty much all around the ladders, we fished on the west end. As for trolling for stripey did not meter any balls of bait, we stacked lures from 25-60' and worked the main lake points. The bait crews are getting them at the wave attenuator, main lake points, pri/sec inlets. Good luck out there post your trip.

R/

HawgZWylde
07-20-2012, 09:40 AM
All the more reason to not even make a post like that then. I'm sure Matt feels the same way when 400 people come in the store each day and ask him how to catch fish. I'm sure he tells them, "It's all about presentation not the kind of bait you are using." LOL Then you say "as far as I'm concerned, bait info isn't nearly as relevant as location, timing, and technique," but you won't tell him your bait? Sounds slightly contradicting to me. And yes, I use Baby Brush Hogs too.

Lol, that post was indeed, quite deliberate. It was a spite to the haters who give Matt a ration of s**t for helping other anglers out. Matt is one of the most generous, experienced anglers out there. He's a good man who puts others before his own best interests, and I give him huge kudos for that. It's sad there aren't more like him these days. I'm old enough to remember the days when folks weren't so self centered and actually helped others out more, in all aspects of life for that matter.

Indeed, I was in the shop and talking to Matt about what "I" was successfully using, but I wanted something else to add to, or shall I say "enhance" my arsenal and Matt was kind enough to point out some other baits that have been successful for him. As far as details regarding that type of bait, such as colors, I was on my own. But I fish DVL every week, many times more than once or twice, so I already know, from my own successes and failures, what works, and what doesn't. I've paid my dues at DVL over the years, and mostly WITHOUT anyone else's help. My partner and I have spent countless hours crawling banks and metering offshore structure, making note of the location, the time of day, the time of year, the weather, water temps, air temps, substrate composition, type of structure like rock piles, trees, shrubs, ledges, flats, walls, slopes, etc.etc.

HawgStalker is a friend of mine on these forums, and I did indeed tell him what bait I used. And he being a shore angler, I also gave him intell on certain spots, that he has access to, that will help him stick fish. But it's still up to him to use the techniques needed to get the fish interested in his presentation.

Like Matt, there have been threads here where I have posted pretty much everything that I was using hoping to help out other anglers. But seeing and hearing how "others" reacted, and or lack there of, I don't so much anymore. And to prove my point, look how many responses posters get when they post actual fishing reports, to the amount of views. Then look up any "drama" thread and see how many responses there are, compared to the number of views. It's ridiculous. As you know, Matt is employed by a bait and tackle shop, it's his job to promote the products his employer sells. He walks a fine line of keeping customers happy, which keeps his employer happy, and keeping his peers from ridiculing him for doing his job. But again, it's sad because Matt actually likes to help other anglers, it's his nature, and it really sucks that in today's society, there are those who criticize him for doing just that.

Lol, I have never used any type of Brush Hogs, baby or not. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I threw mostly skirted double tail hula baits, modified Reaction Innovations Sweet Beavers, and various craw baits, like Berkley's Havoc Bobby Lane craws, t-rigged, as jig trailers, and c-rigged. Colors really depended on location, time of day, water color and clarity, and the technique I was using it for. But the patterns are changing, and the Bass are now starting to dial in on baitfish schools, therefore everything I listed above is changing as well, including colors. But if presented correctly, those same baits will indeed still work. Just not as efficiently...

HawgStalker
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Lol, that post was indeed, quite deliberate. It was a spite to the haters who give Matt a ration of s**t for helping other anglers out. Matt is one of the most generous, experienced anglers out there. He's a good man who puts others before his own best interests, and I give him huge kudos for that. It's sad there aren't more like him these days. I'm old enough to remember the days when folks weren't so self centered and actually helped others out more, in all aspects of life for that matter.

Indeed, I was in the shop and talking to Matt about what "I" was successfully using, but I wanted something else to add to, or shall I say "enhance" my arsenal and Matt was kind enough to point out some other baits that have been successful for him. As far as details regarding that type of bait, such as colors, I was on my own. But I fish DVL every week, many times more than once or twice, so I already know, from my own successes and failures, what works, and what doesn't. I've paid my dues at DVL over the years, and mostly WITHOUT anyone else's help. My partner and I have spent countless hours crawling banks and metering offshore structure, making note of the location, the time of day, the time of year, the weather, water temps, air temps, substrate composition, type of structure like rock piles, trees, shrubs, ledges, flats, walls, slopes, etc.etc.

HawgStalker is a friend of mine on these forums, and I did indeed tell him what bait I used. And he being a shore angler, I also gave him intell on certain spots, that he has access to, that will help him stick fish. But it's still up to him to use the techniques needed to get the fish interested in his presentation.

Like Matt, there have been threads here where I have posted pretty much everything that I was using hoping to help out other anglers. But seeing and hearing how "others" reacted, and or lack there of, I don't so much anymore. And to prove my point, look how many responses posters get when they post actual fishing reports, to the amount of views. Then look up any "drama" thread and see how many responses there are, compared to the number of views. It's ridiculous. As you know, Matt is employed by a bait and tackle shop, it's his job to promote the products his employer sells. He walks a fine line of keeping customers happy, which keeps his employer happy, and keeping his peers from ridiculing him for doing his job. But again, it's sad because Matt actually likes to help other anglers, it's his nature, and it really sucks that in today's society, there are those who criticize him for doing just that.

Lol, I have never used any type of Brush Hogs, baby or not. Up until a couple of weeks ago, I threw mostly skirted double tail hula baits, modified Reaction Innovations Sweet Beavers, and various craw baits, like Berkley's Havoc Bobby Lane craws, t-rigged, as jig trailers, and c-rigged. Colors really depended on location, time of day, water color and clarity, and the technique I was using it for. But the patterns are changing, and the Bass are now starting to dial in on baitfish schools, therefore everything I listed above is changing as well, including colors. But if presented correctly, those same baits will indeed still work. Just not as efficiently...

Wow! HawgZWylde, I guess I should have asked you what "they" were in a pm and not on this thread! Lol.... My bad bro!

bassoholic
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM

I'm just messing with ya! I totally agree with everything you said. You just opened the door with that comment to Matt. I use to post EVERYTHING about my fishing day. 4000 views later and 1 comment later, I realized I won't be doing that anymore. The majority of the people on this forum like to fish, but they don't have a clue HOW to fish or how to produce bigger fish. Like you said, it takes many hours on the lake and many seasons. Makes me chuckle when I read posts. All anyone cares about is WHAT DID YOU CATCH THEM ON? On any given day you can catch a big fish on any bait! What fisherman don't realize, or the novice ones I should say, it's 90% about the presentation of the bait, not what it looks like for the bigger fish. You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL

HawgZWylde
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
I'm just messing with ya! I totally agree with everything you said. You just opened the door with that comment to Matt. I use to post EVERYTHING about my fishing day. 4000 views later and 1 comment later, I realized I won't be doing that anymore. The majority of the people on this forum like to fish, but they don't have a clue HOW to fish or how to produce bigger fish. Like you said, it takes many hours on the lake and many seasons. Makes me chuckle when I read posts. All anyone cares about is WHAT DID YOU CATCH THEM ON? On any given day you can catch a big fish on any bait! What fisherman don't realize, or the novice ones I should say, it's 90% about the presentation of the bait, not what it looks like for the bigger fish. You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL

"You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL"

Lol, Oh S**t!!! Matt was right!!!! There really are people that follow you with binoculars around here. I even just read today that on this very web sight, on the saltwater side, there is a dude named Pontoon that has now stepped it up a notch and is employing the use of, get this, DRONES!!! Lol, so fellow FNNer, why have you failed to identify yourself to me? Haha, hey, at least fly me the bird or something, nowww I feel like I have an invisible bug crawwwwling on me. Lol...

Absolutely...And indeed, I have a post up that has well over a thousand views, and I think 8 comments, with 3 or 4 being mine...

bassoholic
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
"You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL"

Lol, Oh S**t!!! Matt was right!!!! There really are people that follow you with binoculars around here. I even just read today that on this very web sight, on the saltwater side, there is a dude named Pontoon that has now stepped it up a notch and is employing the use of, get this, DRONES!!! Lol, so fellow FNNer, why have you failed to identify yourself to me? Haha, hey, at least fly me the bird or something, nowww I feel like I have an invisible bug crawwwwling on me. Lol...

Absolutely...And indeed, I have a post up that has well over a thousand views, and I think 8 comments, with 3 or 4 being mine...

Follow you around?? lol....come on dude, don't give yourself too much credit. I've been on a few guide trips with Art Berry over the years and he swears people are follwing him everywhere. I would have thought by reading my previous post you would have figured out I'm somewhat "dialed in" at DVL and don't need binos unless I'm looking at a chick in a bikini from a mile away. A lot of these "guides" are a little paranoid about seeing the same people on the lake. (Not saying Matt is) You happen to see the same person, or boat, in the same vacinity they must be following you........lol. DVL is big and there are giant fish everywhere.....go get em! We need to have a small tournament for the non pro guys around here for some bragging rights, that would be sweet!

HawgZWylde
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
Follow you around?? lol....come on dude, don't give yourself too much credit. I've been on a few guide trips with Art Berry over the years and he swears people are follwing him everywhere. I would have thought by reading my previous post you would have figured out I'm somewhat "dialed in" at DVL and don't need binos unless I'm looking at a chick in a bikini from a mile away. A lot of these "guides" are a little paranoid about seeing the same people on the lake. (Not saying Matt is) You happen to see the same person, or boat, in the same vacinity they must be following you........lol. DVL is big and there are giant fish everywhere.....go get em! We need to have a small tournament for the non pro guys around here for some bragging rights, that would be sweet!

I was totally joking about the binos stuff. And there is actually is a forum on here where the guys are joking about the "Pontoon" dude and his drones. I pay no attention at all to who is fishing near me, ask Pete, lol, I even blew him off not realizing it was his yellow Skeeter next to us. Indeed, I did certainly pick up on the fact you were dialed in bro, and I agreed with your post. What has happened to Art? He came back for awhile, and now he's gone again. So is Ken(BT) for that matter. As far as big fish, been on em for awhile. Just don't talk about em much...

PONTOON
07-20-2012, 04:29 PM
I was totally joking about the binos stuff. And there is actually is a forum on here where the guys are joking about the "Pontoon" dude and his drones. I pay no attention at all to who is fishing near me, ask Pete, lol, I even blew him off not realizing it was his yellow Skeeter next to us. Indeed, I did certainly pick up on the fact you were dialed in bro, and I agreed with your post. What has happened to Art? He came back for awhile, and now he's gone again. So is Ken(BT) for that matter. As far as big fish, been on em for awhile. Just don't talk about em much...

Pontoon.......Drones? I hear he's a pretty decent guy. Not one to steal information or locations without doing the work to find his own. :Cool:

PONTOON
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM

I was out there last weekend and noticed the water color. Never seen it like that before. I hope you're right Matt. I'm looking forward to getting back out to the Jewel a lot more with the Trollmiester in the next few months.

HawgZWylde
07-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Pontoon.......Drones? I hear he's a pretty decent guy. Not one to steal information or locations without doing the work to find his own. :Cool:

PONTOON
PONTOON is offline S.W.A.T. Member

Yes NT Arthur is right, The SWAT Predator Drone program sent me an intruder alert at 0-500 that there was a familiar subject on a familiar stretch of beach at an unfamiliar day and time.........A level III Alert.

Once I zoomed in on the subject I knew right away he was one that need to be watched. I could tell from your actions.......cast......look over the right shoulder.......cast........look over the left shoulder.......that you may have known there were eyes on you but it was the lean forward.........pfffft followed by bubbles that threw me off!

This is where that JOKE came from. I really don't know why this stealing spots or info came up. Bassoholic is the one who said to me that ""You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL", hence why I came up with that joke. But I hear ya, my partner and I have spent countless hours over the years metering, learning DVL, and finding the baits that work there...

PONTOON
07-20-2012, 05:52 PM
PONTOON
PONTOON is offline S.W.A.T. Member

Yes NT Arthur is right, The SWAT Predator Drone program sent me an intruder alert at 0-500 that there was a familiar subject on a familiar stretch of beach at an unfamiliar day and time.........A level III Alert.

Once I zoomed in on the subject I knew right away he was one that need to be watched. I could tell from your actions.......cast......look over the right shoulder.......cast........look over the left shoulder.......that you may have known there were eyes on you but it was the lean forward.........pfffft followed by bubbles that threw me off!

This is where that JOKE came from. I really don't know why this stealing spots or info came up. Bassoholic is the one who said to me that ""You don't know who I am but I know you and your buddy..........cheers! LOL", hence why I came up with that joke. But I hear ya, my partner and I have spent countless hours over the years metering, learning DVL, and finding the baits that work there...

It's pretty obvious you took my reply wrong but that's fine.:Confused:

Glad you enjoyed the surf fishing post anyway.

HawgZWylde
07-20-2012, 05:59 PM
It's pretty obvious you took my reply wrong but that's fine.:Confused:

Glad you enjoyed the surf fishing post anyway.

I did enjoy it, it was pretty funny...

Wingnut
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Yes, Big Brother is watching... lol :Rolls Eyes:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Tuso1.jpg

Pete Marino
07-20-2012, 06:22 PM
I never worry about other people or other boats around me. I do my thing and thats it.. I never try to get caught up in the drama.
Have I had someone use binoculars to watch me??...YES... I know for a fact that its happened twice with the same tool. And at the time he was a tournament guy who did it to others as well.. He learned quickly that his competitors lost all respect for him and he faded away from the tournmaent scene. "Adios!!!"
I also get guys that see my boat and fish around it to see what Im using or whatever.. It doesnt matter to me anymore...It used to bug me ALOT...but not anymore. I just put my head down and fish.. More power to them..
Im definetly not paranoid on the lake about seeing the same boats in certain areas... Like I said I put my head down and do my thing. The one thing that does bug the bajeebers out of me is when someone goes around me, or I go around someone or someone will come up real close and they dont have the courtesy to at least say Hello... People take it WAAYYYY to serious... I get people that come out with me all the time from other states that say that people on our lakes arent too friendly because they will say "Hello" to others on the water and they wont get a response.. Its kinda embarrasing that people have to be so unfriendly...
Just wanted to add my 2 pennies to the conversation.. : )

ben0606
07-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Yes, Big Brother is watching... lol :Rolls Eyes:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/Tuso1.jpg

Hey how did you take a pic of my plane while it was flying? Oh wait my plane says k-9 haha

ben0606
07-20-2012, 06:32 PM
Just joking by the way, I keep my distance and sure as he'll ask if I'm within talking distance. I'm still pissed at the tourney guy who came in high speed while I was in the rock quarry fishing the drop off and I guess he wanted to fish where I was cause he decided to do donuts before moving on. His d@&n wAke slammed my boat into the quarry and chipped my prop. No respect, I know I live in Cali now but there are times where I say there is barely any courtesy here. Don't get me started on drivers! Little rain and everyone crashes

bassoholic
07-20-2012, 07:55 PM
I never worry about other people or other boats around me. I do my thing and thats it.. I never try to get caught up in the drama.
Have I had someone use binoculars to watch me??...YES... I know for a fact that its happened twice with the same tool. And at the time he was a tournament guy who did it to others as well.. He learned quickly that his competitors lost all respect for him and he faded away from the tournmaent scene. "Adios!!!"
I also get guys that see my boat and fish around it to see what Im using or whatever.. It doesnt matter to me anymore...It used to bug me ALOT...but not anymore. I just put my head down and fish.. More power to them..
Im definetly not paranoid on the lake about seeing the same boats in certain areas... Like I said I put my head down and do my thing. The one thing that does bug the bajeebers out of me is when someone goes around me, or I go around someone or someone will come up real close and they dont have the courtesy to at least say Hello... People take it WAAYYYY to serious... I get people that come out with me all the time from other states that say that people on our lakes arent too friendly because they will say "Hello" to others on the water and they wont get a response.. Its kinda embarrasing that people have to be so unfriendly...
Just wanted to add my 2 pennies to the conversation.. : )

Just curious Pete and you can tell me if this is none of my business, but do you work outside of guiding and tournament fishing? Just wondering if you had any income other than fishing?

Pete Marino
07-20-2012, 08:13 PM
Bassoholic... Yes Ive worked for the same company for about 17 years since 1995.. Im the southern california regional manager with my company so that means I make all my own hours and that enables me to guide and fish whenever I want since business slowed way down 3 years ago... Why do you ask?

Pete

TroutOnly
07-21-2012, 06:37 AM
Theres only one time of the year i use binos' and its when the stripers are boiling,but theres alotof people who use them to see what lures or color of lures i use .but thats when i'll hold up the wrong one for them to see,then turn my back on them and put on the real one,,,,,that stuff has been going on for a long time,they also use them to spot certain boats they know will get on the fish or a spot,,,thats interesting about the water i'll check it out on monday when im guiding down there,,,as far as the drones ive worked at there base ,i know how to shoot them down,,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,

bassoholic
07-21-2012, 07:46 AM
Bassoholic... Yes Ive worked for the same company for about 17 years since 1995.. Im the southern california regional manager with my company so that means I make all my own hours and that enables me to guide and fish whenever I want since business slowed way down 3 years ago... Why do you ask?

Pete

Just seems like you are able to fish A LOT and I was wondering if you made enough money through tournaments and guiding to support your family. I've often thought about trying it FULL TIME but there is no way I could leave what I am doing now to take that kind of risk. Unless a regional manager positions open up?? Hint Hint....lol.

GdHkSet1
07-21-2012, 09:35 AM
Lets bury this fella's and go fishing. FNN request you remove this post. The water is fine, and I need glasses(really).

Pete Marino
07-21-2012, 10:09 AM
Bassoholic... I wouldnt be able to survive on guiding alone..not a chance. Nor would I want to really. But there are definetly too many gudes already...The problem is there are some really good ones and some absolute pretenders..And those guys give us Real guides a bad name.
But thats the way it is in any business..With the economy the way it is people dont have as much money nowadays to hire a guide.. But there are those who do and Im grateful for it.. Thats a fact!!
I actually saw a "Pretender Guide" watching me and my clients catch bass for about an hour then started throwing something he "Thought" we were using..hahah too funny. Oh well...Those guys are out there though...

My tournament fishing supports itself basically... But If I go a long time without a win or cashing a check then I need to dip into my pocket but for the most part it supports itself year in and year out.

And the Regional manger position might open up...because if the economy gets any worse, the company will go under.. lol

Pete