PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to surf fishing - High Vis line

m2oz90277
07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
I starting to surf fish with a light set-up. Targeting surf perch and corbina. Can I use a high-vis braided main line (20#) with a flouro leader (4#) without spooking the fish? I'm currently using 6# mono as my main line but wanted to have better visibility of my line. Thanks.

jerryG
07-20-2012, 12:51 AM
My thoughts on high visibility line for the surf are DON'T DO IT. The biggest problem(s) with fishing high visibility lines especially in clear shallow water is the fact that it is high visibility. Also I would not recommend 20 lbs line for perch and corbina even for use as a main line it will only add another knot which creates an additonal point of failure and adds more complication. Plus its not necessary your best bet is just to stick with the 6lb mono as your main line. High visibility is not going to help you it will only create a disadvantage. If your targeting perch and corbina in the surf stick with a Carolina Rig and be sure to use enough weight to hold the bottom given the conditions. Its critical that you remain in constant contact with your weight. As long as you maintain contact with your setup you will know where you line is at all times, you will feel bites, and you will be able set the hook.

JerryG

m2oz90277
07-23-2012, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the advice. I typically use 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight but it eventually gets washed onto the shore with the tide/wave action. Do I need more weight?

City Dad
07-23-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks for the advice. I typically use 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight but it eventually gets washed onto the shore with the tide/wave action. Do I need more weight?

I'm aware of two schools of thought on the above question. The first is old-school: Peg the bait with several ounces worth of sinker and chuck it out there as far as you can. The second: Use just enough weight to get your bait into the surf zone where perch and corbina actively feed while allowing your offering to behave as naturally as possible - to drift around in the wash a bit.

I go with the latter.

Also, keep in mind that the supply of perch and corbina is not limitless and the more of them you return to the water the more you can expect to catch in the future... I'm just sayin'.

m2oz90277
07-23-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm aware of two schools of thought on the above question. The first is old-school: Peg the bait with several ounces worth of sinker and chuck it out there as far as you can. The second: Use just enough weight to get your bait into the surf zone where perch and corbina actively feed while allowing your offering to behave as naturally as possible - to drift around in the wash a bit.

I go with the latter.

Also, keep in mind that the supply of perch and corbina is not limitless and the more of them you return to the water the more you can expect to catch in the future... I'm just sayin'.

Thank, City Dad. No plans on keeping anything.

Which Way Out
07-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Besides Surf Perch taste like dog poo...

WWO

bachiboy
07-24-2012, 11:01 AM
Besides Surf Perch taste like dog poo...

WWO

:ROFL: I've 'heard' differently...but agree with you. :Wink: