PDA

View Full Version : Henry from Louisiana

henryhayes
07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
Hi everyone. My son has just moved back to Rancho Santa Margarita in southern California, and I hope to avail myself of the fine fishing opportunities in the Golden State when I visit him once or twice a year. So I'm doing research to get ready and so far Lake Castiac and Irvine Lake have caught my eye. Louisiana has excellent fishing (fresh and saltwater) but we don't normally catch the size fish I see caught regularly on your end, especially bass and bluegill.
I fish primarily freshwater with artificial lures and go for black bass, bream (bluegill), white bass, crappie, catfish, etc.

Rancho Santa Margarita, as you probably know, is close to Mission Viejo. If anyone would want to give advice or offer suggestions as to where to fish and how, I sure would appreciate it. I'm looking forward to your posts.

Wingnut
07-19-2012, 09:55 AM
Welcome Henry and good luck to you out there. :Cool:

HawgZWylde
07-19-2012, 10:06 AM
Hello and welcome Henry. Diamond Valley Lake, Lake Skinner, and Perris Lake are just over the hill. If you are a boater, make sure you check Cali laws and regulations before going out. Good luck...

henryhayes
07-19-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks, guys.

Piss on Myspace
07-22-2012, 04:48 AM
Welcome aboard...my apologies as im not familiar with the area you're requesting information. However im currently ( in New Mexico) on a roadtrip to Destin, Fl and was thinking of stopping in New Orleans to maybe fish, but definitely to get a few drinks at a blues bar. Maybe Bourbon St? Any info bout the fishing or the bars would be great as this is a spur of the moment trip and my first time visiting there.

Thisfool
07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Hi everyone. My son has just moved back to Rancho Santa Margarita in southern California, and I hope to avail myself of the fine fishing opportunities in the Golden State when I visit him once or twice a year. So I'm doing research to get ready and so far Lake Castiac and Irvine Lake have caught my eye. Louisiana has excellent fishing (fresh and saltwater) but we don't normally catch the size fish I see caught regularly on your end, especially bass and bluegill.
I fish primarily freshwater with artificial lures and go for black bass, bream (bluegill), white bass, crappie, catfish, etc.

Rancho Santa Margarita, as you probably know, is close to Mission Viejo. If anyone would want to give advice or offer suggestions as to where to fish and how, I sure would appreciate it. I'm looking forward to your posts.

welcome aboard good to have you im sure every one would love to see some reports from the big easy.

lake Perris has some awesome bluegill crappie and other pan fish action and if you can i defiantly suggest hitting up some charter boats do do some salt water fishing.

PvilleYaker
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM
Henry, when you are done with So Cal, drive up the I5, 101 and/or 99 to Central and No Cal. We have Nacimiento, the Delta, Clear Lake, Sac River and of course all the lakes in Central California like Millerton and Pine Flat in Fresno. Don't forget about Tahoe. I'm pretty sure your boy would understand that you need some time to explore this great state.

5150fishn
07-31-2012, 09:41 AM
Welcome to the site! Enjoy

hattrick7
09-01-2012, 03:08 PM
Hello Henry from Louisiana I live right by the lake and have been fishing it almost everyday for the past three or so months. It's kind of a tough lake for bass if you like to throw artificials. I've caught some decent bass outta there on crankbaits, senkos and once on a small chartruese grub. I've never caught bass on spinners, buzzbait, swimbaits and other artificials. One other regular out there likes to throw a dark spinner and says he does ok on it.

There are a lot of bluegill and smaller baitfish (probably bass fry) and they are very easy to catch especially the bluegill. If I were you I would bring a pack of hot dogs. I was out yesterday and a kid caught three bass in a row on hot dogs. I saw another guy reel in a nice 4 lber on hot dog rigged for catfish. I never would have believed the bass would take the hot dog like that but at times they do.

There's some decent sized catfish and carp in there also. For catfish and carp fishing it seems like evening time is best. Good luck!