PDA

View Full Version : Registration Closed! Final Update - 4th Annual Hunting Giants Surf Event.

Wingnut
07-18-2012, 01:59 PM
4th Annual Hunting Giants - Surf Fishing Event
Dedicated in Memory of Dana Rea - Fisherman 57
Presented by S.W.A.T.

Saturday, October 20th, 2012

You are cordially invited to join S.W.A.T. and other fellow FNN members on the sand for a day of Family, Friends, Fun, Fishing and Food! :Big Grin:
This event is in remembrance of Dana Rea - Fisherman 57, the Godfather of Team 57 and leader of the "Heaven" S.W.A.T. Chapter. :Cool:

The admission to this event is FREE and open to all registered members of the Fishing Network.

Dana Rea - Fisherman 57
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/P1000634.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/P1000647-1.jpg

Final Update 10/15/12.
The weather is going to be nice and the swells are projected to be at a minimal. All systems GO! :Dancing Banana:

We now have 200+ registered participants. :Big Grin:
All registered participants should now have a PM confirming their registration and details of the event.

Department of Fish and Games and Representatives from our sponsors will be on hand to answer any of your questions regarding their services and products. Please thank them for their time and support. :Cool:

Even though there will be some amazing trophies and prizes for the fishing derby and the raffle, please keep in mind that these material things are secondary to what this event is all about. "Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing" is our motto. First and foremost, have fun! If you are lucky enough to win some nice prizes, that will be a bonus. :Big Grin: If you are going this Saturday with any other objectives other than to enjoy yourself with family, friends and fellow anglers, you are missing the point of this event. :Wink:

Looking forward to seeing all of you on Saturday. :Group Hug:

Arthur (Wingnut)

4th Annual Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Event - Saturday, October 20th, 2012.

Event duration: 7:00am – 4:00pm

Check in starts at: 7:00am. You can check in any time afterwards.

At check in: All registered participants and their guests must check in.
Registered participants entering in the Adult Fishing Derby will be issued “Orange” wristbands (Please have your fishing license with a saltwater stamp ready).

There will be a Department of Fish and Game presence at the event.

Junior Fishing Derby participants (15 years or younger) will be issued “Green” wristbands.

All guests will be issued a “Purple” wristband.

S.W.A.T. Members will be issued “Blue” wristbands.

Wristbands must be worn for the duration of the event.

Fishing derby participants will be given a scoring package to measure and document their catch. After checking in you can proceed to the Lucky Craft casting competition or start fishing at any time.

All registered participants will receive a free raffle ticket for the giveaway drawing at the conclusion of the event. Winners must be present to claim prizes.

Lucky Craft Lure Casting Competition (optional). Cast your LC at designated targets in the sand and earn points for accuracy (each participants will get 3 casts). 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners will receive LC lures and Bass Pro Shop Gift Cards. Courtesy of Lucky Craft International.

Fishing Derby Rules & Regulations.
The fishing derby is open to registered FNN members ONLY!
If you bring a guest, he/she can fish but cannot enter the derby. If your guest would like to enter the derby, he/she must get registered on FNN with a screen name.

Junior Derby participants are exempt from this requirement.
All participants that are 15 years of age or under may enter the Junior Derby whether or not they are a registered FNN member. They must be accompanied by a parent. All participants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Event participants will be identified by an event wrist-band that will be issued during the check-in. Wrist bands must be worn for the entire duration of the event.

Valid California Fishing License with a saltwater stamp. Catch & Release only. Artificial lures or bait are allowed. One rod per angler (you may carry two rods, but can only fish with one rod at any given time).

Derby monitors will be on the sand during the entire contest. Look for a S.W.A.T. member with the HG4 event shirt and wearing a blue wristband if you need assistance.

All scorecards must be turned in to the registration desk by 1:00pm (no exceptions). Make sure your name is on the scorecard. No need to total up the points, we will do it for you. A time-set “fish off” will take place in case of a tie.

Trophies and prizes are awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in both the adult and junior derbies.

Scoring: Individual scoring only. Each angler must have his/her own scorecard. Anglers cannot combine catch for scoring. All catch must be measured (if needed) and documented on the scorecard immediately after landing. Release your catch in a timely manner. This is a “Catch & Release” event. If you need help scoring your catch, or with the release, any S.W.A.T. members that are close by can assist you.

Potluck: If you are contributing to the potluck. You can leave your dish at the designated potluck food table. BBQ and food items will be served starting at noon.
Thank you for your contribution… sharing is caring! :Big Grin:

Safety: Your safety and the safety of your friends and family is PRIORITY #1. It is impossible to foresee the weather and surf conditions this far out from the event, so we must be prepared. We are hoping for clear weather and flat swells, but that is beyond our control. We will have plenty of S.W.A.T. members, Lifeguards and State of California beach monitors on the sand. But we need your cooperation to ensure an incident free event. KNOW YOUR LIMITS! Don’t underestimate the power of the ocean. Do not wade out too far from the beach and never turn your back to the sea. If you are new to surf fishing, request a S.W.A.T. member to guide you or your group. Please allow us to educate you on safety guidelines to follow while surf fishing. Catching fish is great, but your safety always comes first! :Cool:

I will reiterate once again, you do not need prior surf fishing experience to enjoy yourselves at this event. Simply let us know when checking in and we will dedicate a S.W.A.T. member to assist you for the day. I guarantee that by the end of the event, you will at least walk away with the basic knowledge of surf fishing that will help you succeed in future surf sessions. :Wink:

Raffle: A FREE Raffle will be held at the conclusion of the event. All registered participants will be given a raffle ticket at check-in. You must be present to participate.
Feel free to contribute raffle prizes if you wish. Leave your donations with the event staff at time of check-in and we will include it in the raffle. We thank you in advance for your generosity. :Big Grin:

S.W.A.T. Members, Sponsors and/or Event Staff cannot participate in the fishing derby and are not eligible for the raffle. This event is about ‘YOU” and for “YOU,” the members and guests of the Fishing Network, along with your family & friends. It’s our way of showing our appreciation for your friendship and support throughout the years.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on the 20th! :Big Grin:

Arthur (Wingnut)

Our Sponsors:
Daiwa Corporation
Lucky Craft International
Big Hammer Lures
Avet Reels
Phenix Rods
Seeker Rods
Simms
Fishbones Lures
Baja Fish Gear
Pelagic Gear
Western Outdoor News
Fish Taco Chronicles Magazine
Aquarium of the Pacific
Bob Sands Tackle - Van Nuys
Richard's Fishing Tackle - Rosemead
Angler's Tackle - Oceanside
Hook, Line & Sinker - Santa Barbara
The Rusty Hook Tackle - San Pedro
Fish N' Fools - Granada Hills
Eric's Tackle Shop - Ventura
Team 57
Fishing Network
S.W.A.T.

HG4 Fishing Derby Scoring.
Species - Length Requirements
Leopard Shark (Legal) 36" or longer - 15 Points
Leopard Shark (Short) Less than 36" - 5 Points

Halibut (Legal) 22" or longer - 15 Points
Halibut (Short) Less than 22" - 5 Points

White Sea Bass (Legal) 28" or longer - 15 Points
White Sea Bass (Short) Less than 28" - 5 Points

Shovelnose Guitarfish 36" or longer - 5 Points
Shovelnose Guitarfish - Less than 36" - 1 Point

Smoothound Shark 36" or longer - 5 Points
Smoothound Shark - Less than 36" - 1 Point

Bat Ray 24" wingspan or longer - 5 Points
Bat Ray - Less than 24" wingspan - 1 Point

Surf Perch - Aggregated (All Species) - 1 Point
1 point each - 10 points maximum

Yellow Fin Croaker - 2 Points
2 points each - 20 points maximum

Various Rays (Sting Ray, Thornback, etc.) - 1 Point
1 point each - 5 points maximum

5 points each (any size) for the following species:
Maximum of 25 points per species.
Corbina
Calico Bass
Sand Bass
Spotted Bass
Cabezon
Zebra Perch
Barracuda
Spot Fin Croaker

Any other unspecified "Exotic Species" will be taken into consideration and scored on a case to case basis.

Important details regarding the parking situation at the event.
Note: The fee to park in the main lot is $12.00. We are asked to have exact change to help speed up the line. Please carpool if possible! :Big Grin:

Early arrivals are encouraged to park along PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) for FREE in the specified free parking zone. This area will accommodate approximately 30-40 vehicles and is only a short walk down the stairs to the event site.

The gate to the park will open at 6:30am allowing vehicles to enter and have access to the pay parking machine. After 8:00am, there will be an attendant in the pay booth where you can pay directly to get in. Between 6:30 – 8:00am, there will be S.W.A.T. members assisting you with the parking payment machine upon your arrival. Please have exact change ready. Again, you can park on PCH for free! :Wink:

Please drive carefully and we’ll see all of you on Saturday! :Thumbs Up:

Wingnut
09-01-2012, 02:36 PM
4th Annual Hunting Giants - Surf Fishing Event
Dedicated in Memory of Dana Rea - Fisherman 57
Presented by S.W.A.T.

Registration now OPEN! Please read the following information carefully.
(Check this thread periodically for new announcements and updates!)

Saturday, October 20th, 2012

You are cordially invited to join S.W.A.T. and other fellow FNN members on the sand for a day of Family, Friends, Fun, Fishing and Food! :Big Grin:

This event is held in remembrance of Dana Rea - Fisherman 57, the Godfather of Team 57 and leader of the "Heaven" S.W.A.T. Chapter. :Cool:

The admission to this event is FREE and open to all registered members of the Fishing Network.

Location: North Malibu Area. Event details will be sent via PM (Private Messages) to all registered members.

"Catch & Release" Surf Fishing Derby with prizes from S.W.A.T., The Fishing Network, and many others (list of sponsors be announced at a later date).

FREE raffle with amazing prizes donated by S.W.A.T. Members, Sponsors and So. Cal Tackle Shops! :Big Grin:

I will announce one major sponsor right now as a prelude. Lucky Craft International will be one of the many sponsors of the event and will have a representative on the sand to answer all your fresh & salt artificial hard bait questions.

If you bring a guest, he/she can fish but cannot enter the derby. If your guest would like to enter the derby, he/she must get registered with a FNN screen name and send me a PM. I will add his/her name to the derby.

All participants that are 15 years of age or under may enter the Junior Derby whether or not they are a registered FNN member. They must be accompanied by a parent. All participants under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.

Event participants will be identified by an event wrist-band that will be issued during the check-in. Wrist bands must be worn for the entire duration of the event.

There is no charge to enter the derby and is capped for the first 150 registered members of the event. Valid California Fishing License with a saltwater stamp. Catch & Release only. Artificial or bait. One rod per angler. Separate junior derby for the 15 and under anglers.

Note: There will be Department of Fish & Games presence at the event. DFG officer(s) will be on hand to answer any questions and/or inquiries. :Cool:

All S.W.A.T. members will be attending the event. This is your chance to meet and hang out with the Crew and ask us anything you wish in regards to surf fishing. We will be happy to share knowledge and tips with you. If you are new to surf fishing, this is a great way to learn and get information. If you're already a seasoned surf angler, it would be fun to share experiences and swap stories. Maybe we all can learn something from each other. :Big Grin:

If you have never been surf fishing before, or have limited surf fishing experience, this is the perfect opportunity for you to get started and/or gain some valuable knowledge. Let me know in your registration PM or at the check-in table on the morning of the event, I will dedicate a S.W.A.T. member to you and your group or family to assist you for the day. He or she will help you with all the basics to get you started and headed in the right direction. Most importantly, we will educate you on some safety guidelines to follow while surf fishing. Catching fish is great, but the number one priority is for your safety, then having fun while learning something new. :Big Grin:

Food arrangements: Pot Luck style, bring something for yourself and maybe a little more to share with others. You are not obligated to bring a dish to the event. There will be plenty of food for everybody. :Cool:
I will be bringing 200 of my Mom's World Famous Egg Rolls, they go pretty fast! :Envious:
Please see pot luck item list below. If you decide to contribute something to the pot luck, send me a PM and I will put that item on the list so we can prevent duplicates.

Registration process:Registration via PM only (Private Message). Open to all registered FNN members.
You must register in order to attend and participate in the event.
*Please do not register for the event until you are certain that you can attend.*
Please notify me of any cancellation as soon as possible.

Members under 18 years of age must be accompanied by a parent at the event. No dogs allowed on the sand in the Malibu area. This is an “Alcohol Free” event.

Send Arthur (Wingnut) a PM (Private Message) with the following information:
Your first and last name.
Do you wish to enter the fishing derby?
Pot luck item (optional).
Are you bringing any family members and/or guests? (Provide full names)

Once you are registered, you will receive a reply confirmation. Details on the exact time and location, details & rules of the fishing derby, plus other important information on the event will be sent to you at a later date.

Talk to anybody who has attended one of our previous Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Events. They will tell you that it's THE Event of the Year and one that should not be missed. :!!!:

Come out and join the fun. Hope to share the sand with all of you on the 20th of October! :Big Grin:

I'm looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones... :Group Hug:

Arthur (Wingnut)

Pot Luck Contribution List (We could always use extra ice chests with bottled water, soda & drink varieties - no alcohol please).
(200) Egg Rolls
(2 dozen) Donuts
Fried Rice
Hot Spinach Dip & Chips
Artichoke Dip & Chips
Chow Mien Noodles
Various Pastries
Kimchee / Korean BBQ Pork Tamales
Pasta / Macaroni Salad
Breakfast Burritos
Homemade Brownies
Homemade Salsa & Chips
Scones & Cookies
Coffee & Bagels
Chicken Casserole
Hamburgers & Hot Dogs
Mini Sandwiches
Pecan Pies
Tuna Salad
Watermelons
Variety of Smoked Tuna
Potato Salad

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/011-11.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/021-5.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/iLLest3.jpg

Moments from last year's Hunting Giants III. :Big Grin:
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/068-1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/065.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/096.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/iLLest1.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG404.jpg

Hunting Giants 4 Trophies! :Dancing Banana:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG4Trophies2.jpg

Wingnut
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
Lieutenant Bones just picked up the HG4 trophies and took some pics down on the sand. :Big Grin:
Thanks Mike, they look great! :Thumbs Up:

176 registered participants so far... not too late to join! :Wink:

Event details have been sent via PM to all registered participants. If you did not get a PM, please let me know ASAP.

This event is going to ROCK! :Dancing Banana:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG4Trophies2.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG4Trophies6.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG4Trophies3.jpg

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/HG4Trophies4.jpg

Wingnut
10-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Final Update 10/15/12.
The weather is going to be nice and the swells are projected to be at a minimal. All systems GO! :Dancing Banana:

We now have 200+ registered participants. :Big Grin:
All registered participants should now have a PM confirming their registration and details of the event.

Department of Fish and Games and Representatives from our sponsors will be on hand to answer any of your questions regarding their services and products. Please thank them for their time and support. :Cool:

Even though there will be some amazing trophies and prizes for the fishing derby and the raffle, please keep in mind that these material things are secondary to what this event is all about. "Family, Friends, Fun & Fishing" is our motto. First and foremost, have fun! If you are lucky enough to win some nice prizes, that will be a bonus. :Big Grin: If you are going this Saturday to pursue any objectives other than to enjoy yourself with family, friends and fellow anglers, you are missing the point of this event. :Wink:

Looking forward to seeing all of you on Saturday. :Group Hug:

Arthur (Wingnut)

4th Annual Hunting Giants Surf Fishing Event - Saturday, October 20th, 2012.

Event duration: 7:00am – 4:00pm

Check in starts at: 7:00am. You can check in any time afterwards.

At check in: All registered participants and their guests must check in.
Registered participants entering in the Adult Fishing Derby will be issued “Orange” wristbands (Please have your fishing license with a saltwater stamp ready).

There will be a Department of Fish and Game presence at the event.

Junior Fishing Derby participants (15 years or younger) will be issued “Green” wristbands.

All guests will be issued a “Purple” wristband.

S.W.A.T. Members will be issued “Blue” wristbands.

Wristbands must be worn for the duration of the event.

Fishing derby participants will be given a scoring package to measure and document their catch. After checking in you can proceed to the Lucky Craft casting competition or start fishing at any time.

All registered participants will receive a free raffle ticket for the giveaway drawing at the conclusion of the event. Winners must be present to claim prizes.

Lucky Craft Lure Casting Competition (optional). Cast your LC at designated targets in the sand and earn points for accuracy (each participants will get 3 casts). 1st, 2nd and 3rd Place winners will receive LC lures and Bass Pro Shop Gift Cards. Courtesy of Lucky Craft International.

Fishing Derby Rules & Regulations.
If you bring a guest, he/she can fish but cannot enter the derby. If your guest would like to enter the derby, he/she must get registered on FNN with a screen name.

Valid California Fishing License with a saltwater stamp. Catch & Release only. Artificial lures or bait are allowed. One rod per angler (you may carry two rods, but can only fish with one rod at any given time).

Derby monitors will be on the sand during the entire contest. Look for a S.W.A.T. member with the HG4 event shirt and wearing a blue wristband if you need assistance.

All scorecards must be turned in to the registration desk by 1:00pm (no exceptions). Make sure your name is on the scorecard. No need to total up the points, we will do it for you. A time-set “fish off” will take place in case of a tie.

Trophies and prizes are awarded to the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners in both the adult and junior derbies.

Scoring: Individual scoring only. Each angler must have his/her own scorecard. Anglers cannot combine catch for scoring. All catch must be measured (if needed) and documented on the scorecard immediately after landing. Release your catch in a timely manner. This is a “Catch & Release” event. If you need help scoring your catch, or with the release, any S.W.A.T. members that are close by can assist you.

Potluck: If you are contributing to the potluck. You can leave your dish at the designated potluck food table. BBQ and food items will be served starting at noon.
Thank you for your contribution… sharing is caring! :Big Grin:

Safety: Your safety and the safety of your friends and family is PRIORITY #1. It is impossible to foresee the weather and surf conditions this far out from the event, so we must be prepared. We are hoping for clear weather and flat swells, but that is beyond our control. We will have plenty of S.W.A.T. members, Lifeguards and State of California beach monitors on the sand. But we need your cooperation to ensure an incident free event. KNOW YOUR LIMITS! Don’t underestimate the power of the ocean. Do not wade out too far from the beach and never turn your back to the sea. If you are new to surf fishing, request a S.W.A.T. member to guide you or your group. Please allow us to educate you on safety guidelines to follow while surf fishing. Catching fish is great, but your safety always comes first! :Cool:

I will reiterate once again, you do not need prior surf fishing experience to enjoy yourselves at this event. Simply let us know when checking in and we will dedicate a S.W.A.T. member to assist you for the day. I guarantee that by the end of the event, you will at least walk away with the basic knowledge of surf fishing that will help you succeed in future surf sessions. :Wink:

Raffle: A FREE Raffle will be held at the conclusion of the event. All registered participants will be given a raffle ticket at check-in. You must be present to participate.
Feel free to contribute raffle prizes if you wish. Leave your donations with the event staff at time of check-in and we will include it in the raffle. We thank you in advance for your generosity. :Big Grin:

S.W.A.T. Members, Sponsors and/or Event Staff cannot participate in the fishing derby and are not eligible for the raffle. This event is about ‘YOU” and for “YOU,” the members and guests of the Fishing Network, along with your family & friends. It’s our way of showing our appreciation for your friendship and support throughout the years.

Looking forward to seeing all of you on the 20th! :Big Grin:

Arthur (Wingnut)

Our Sponsors:
Daiwa Corporation
Lucky Craft International
Big Hammer Lures
Avet Reels
Phenix Rods
Seeker Rods
Simms
Fishbones Lures
Baja Fish Gear
Pelagic Gear
Western Outdoor News
Fish Taco Chronicles Magazine
Aquarium of the Pacific
Bob Sands Tackle - Van Nuys
Richard's Fishing Tackle - Rosemead
Angler's Tackle - Oceanside
Hook, Line & Sinker - Santa Barbara
The Rusty Hook Tackle - San Pedro
Fish N' Fools - Granada Hills
Eric's Tackle Shop - Ventura
Team 57
Fishing Network
S.W.A.T.

HG4 Fishing Derby Scoring.
Species - Length Requirements
Leopard Shark (Legal) 36" or longer - 15 Points
Leopard Shark (Short) Less than 36" - 5 Points

Halibut (Legal) 22" or longer - 15 Points
Halibut (Short) Less than 22" - 5 Points

White Sea Bass (Legal) 28" or longer - 15 Points
White Sea Bass (Short) Less than 28" - 5 Points

Shovelnose Guitarfish 36" or longer - 5 Points
Shovelnose Guitarfish - Less than 36" - 1 Point

Smoothound Shark 36" or longer - 5 Points
Smoothound Shark - Less than 36" - 1 Point

Bat Ray 24" wingspan or longer - 5 Points
Bat Ray - Less than 24" wingspan - 1 Point

Surf Perch - Aggregated (All Species) - 1 Point
1 point each - 10 points maximum

Yellow Fin Croaker - 2 Points
2 points each - 20 points maximum

Various Rays (Sting Ray, Thornback, etc.) - 1 Point
1 point each - 5 points maximum

5 points each (any size) for the following species:
Maximum of 25 points per species.
Corbina
Calico Bass
Sand Bass
Spotted Bass
Cabezon
Zebra Perch
Barracuda
Spot Fin Croaker

Any other unspecified "Exotic Species" will be taken into consideration and scored on a case to case basis.

Important details regarding the parking situation at the event.
Note: The fee to park in the main lot is $12.00. We are asked to have exact change to help speed up the line. Please carpool if possible! :Big Grin:

Early arrivals are encouraged to park along PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) for FREE in the specified free parking zone. This area will accommodate approximately 30-40 vehicles and is only a short walk down the stairs to the event site.

The gate to the park will open at 6:30am allowing vehicles to enter and have access to the pay parking machine. After 8:00am, there will be an attendant in the pay booth where you can pay directly to get in. Between 6:30 – 8:00am, there will be S.W.A.T. members assisting you with the parking payment machine upon your arrival. Please have exact change ready. Again, you can park on PCH for free! :Wink:

Please drive carefully and we’ll see all of you on Saturday! :Thumbs Up:

Wingnut
10-19-2012, 07:09 PM
I'll see everybody there tomorrow! :Big Grin: