PDA

View Full Version : spot help in NPH skiff please? any helpful souls?

silversx
07-18-2012, 07:17 AM
i've pmed a few members that have done very well out there and have gotten zero response regarding what spots are good..

i've been out there about 3-4 times .. always make a dash to bait barge.. float around a bit.. then work our way back in.. usually don't go past the pavillion because by then 5hrs is up..

so far we usually get a few baby halibut and some spotties.. a bat ray once.. last trip out we landed 2 spotties and 2 halibut.. all released..

i saw a report from a member that same day same morning on a skiff that got 50+ sand bass? and a 34in hali.. so i start to think i must be doing something VERY VERY WRONG lol

i honestly don't care if me and my friend get a skunk or what not.. but this weekend im bringing my old man and my wife out there.. being new fisherman.. skunk probably kills the interest..

on top of that me and my wife got married in the harbor on one of the electra cruise ships.. so would be good if she got some action.. fish action..

any tips and suggestions for spots would be awesome.. thanks guys

smokehound
07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
i've pmed a few members that have done very well out there and have gotten zero response regarding what spots are good..

i've been out there about 3-4 times .. always make a dash to bait barge.. float around a bit.. then work our way back in.. usually don't go past the pavillion because by then 5hrs is up..

so far we usually get a few baby halibut and some spotties.. a bat ray once.. last trip out we landed 2 spotties and 2 halibut.. all released..

i saw a report from a member that same day same morning on a skiff that got 50+ sand bass? and a 34in hali.. so i start to think i must be doing something VERY VERY WRONG lol

i honestly don't care if me and my friend get a skunk or what not.. but this weekend im bringing my old man and my wife out there.. being new fisherman.. skunk probably kills the interest..

on top of that me and my wife got married in the harbor on one of the electra cruise ships.. so would be good if she got some action.. fish action..

any tips and suggestions for spots would be awesome.. thanks guysI'll pm you a map of some good spots that I usually hit, and a few others I have yet to try, a little later.

Target areas you cant access by foot, even at a negative low tide. You'll find fatter spotties and bigger halis closer to the wedge, but as you stated, that's out of the question.

The lido Isle bridge has a nice big wall nearby that holds some nice fish, check it out! Try fishing around A st through J street, and the island.

get yourself some of the following:

kalin's Salty Lunker Grubs --3" These are GREAT, they have a nice fat body and a wide tail, get the following colors: "Watermelonseed", "Pumpkin salt n pepper", "Chartreuse Salt n Pepper", and "white".

I prefer to fish these on a 1/16 oz 1/0 darter/jighead, or T-rigged with a 1/0 wide gap hook, and a 1/16 oz bullet weight.

Get yourself some Zoom Flukes! Since you'll be in a boat, drop-shotting will be alot easier, get the following ZOOM flukes: "White Ice", "Smokin Shad", "white pearl", and 'Albino".

If you guys get this stuff beforehand, and toss these instead of live bait, you'll have a better time =)

If you're drop-shotting, dont try to set the hook like you would with t-rigged lures, just pull your rod straight up, and let it load up, then just keep the pressure on while reeling in. use a #1-2 Dropshot/splitshot hook, or a Kahle hook.

If you get an umbrella net and jig a sabiki tipped with bait, you can catch all the live bait you need without wasting time heading over to the bait station.

Bring some Spoons and crankbaits for possible cudas and bonito. Make sure not to toss these while pelicans are nearby.

if you go towards newport ave, you'll run into the newport channel which takes you all the way toward 40th st, lots of toad sargo and spotties there, i occasionally see white seabass juvies there.

silversx
07-20-2012, 07:27 AM
thanks for the advice.. a map would be so awesome.. i always feel lost in the harbor due to how big it is.. trip is tomorrow so thanks!

smokehound
07-20-2012, 03:38 PM
I used to feel like that too. Ill send it to you a little later.

Cali626
07-20-2012, 04:24 PM
Smokehound is the man to ask about nph. I seen alot of positive post up intill a few days ago when he got hatred on his line. Lol. I'll be there this weekend in a blue xfactor. Tight line & best of luck this weekend!!

smokehound
07-21-2012, 06:38 AM
Lol..

Silver I PM'd you the maps.