PDA

View Full Version : this is the boat i want to take to the NPH??

badger
08-24-2007, 10:06 AM
never took my boat out to the harbor but i really want to, do you ever see boats this small on the harbor?

one_leg
08-24-2007, 10:44 AM
That boat would be fine in NPH.

As long as it has cathodic protection to prevent electrolytic corrosion of your vessels metal parts you'll be Ok.

One_Leg

badger
08-24-2007, 12:59 PM
That boat would be fine in NPH.

As long as it has cathodic protection to prevent electrolytic corrosion of your vessels metal parts you'll be Ok.

One_Leg

Thanks for the info. but i dont know much about boats, could tell me what all that is? and do i need all that before i go out in salt water at all? im not planning on going out there that much maybe just for the holiday coming up cause i know that the lakes will be pretty crowded.

Nessie Hunter
08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
No problem at all with that boat in any bay...

Most launch areas have fresh water wash downs available also, bring a section of hose and Motor connection and wash out the salt water, youll be fine.... Wash down everything when you get home, including trailer..........

The salt does corrode badly if not rinsed off....

hookemdano
08-25-2007, 09:26 AM
That boat will be fine in any harbor. I've got a fish/ski boat that size and I've gone about 10 miles offshore in it. But if you do that make sure you've got a VHF radio and a fire extinguisher at the very least.

What oneleg was referring to is the sacrificial anodes on saltwater boats. Electricity + salt + metal in the water act as a battery and will corrode the metal in the water. Sacrificial anodes are put on lower units to prevent corrosion of the unit. They are pieces of metal (typically zinc) that are softer than the metal that makes up the lower unit. The softer metal corrodes first, sparing the harder metal. Your motor most likely has them, but you should check anyway. The corrosion takes time too, so I don't think a one time salt dip will make any difference as long as you follow Nessie's advice to wash everything down and flush the engine with fresh water when you're done.

Good luck out there!

Brad100
08-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Ya, no problem but do what the others said...

badger
08-27-2007, 11:58 AM
thanks for all the tips guy's hopefully you'll see me out there soon!