PDA

View Full Version : Targeting a new fish species in perris -- Catfish

Yeh Monn!
07-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Hey Guys and Gals , I have been fishing Perris for over 25yrs and I have caught a ton of different fish species in the lake from Bass , blue gill , crappie , carp , trout , etc. I know that Perris is really known as a Bass lake and i have caught and released my fair share of DD's .

So my question comes to this I am going out to target 1 fish in particular and that is the Channel Catfish . I know they are in there as i have seen them caught few and far between . I would like to see if i can get some pointers from some members on maybe a location and bait you all have had some Success with . I would really love to get this targeted fish off my list of species caught @ perris :Smile:

I appreciate any info you all can give and Tight lines to all .

smokehound
07-18-2012, 02:28 AM
Those giant channel cats will usually only go for something oily and fresh..

Like a fresh-dead sardine, shad, or mackerel strips. Either Flyline them, or use a high/low or dropper loop!

if you're in the right spot, you'll tap into some stripers too!

bassgrabber1
07-18-2012, 07:24 AM
Or they will hit a YUM money minnow ....lol....15lbs 10oz36315

HawgZWylde
07-18-2012, 09:05 AM
I've caught 3 over here at DVL up to 10lbs. One on a Yamamoto double tailed skirted hula grub, one on a senko, and one on a shad colored crankbait...

Pete Marino
07-18-2012, 09:15 AM
If you are fishing from a boat Id go throw an anchor anywhere along the canyon on the north side of the lake by the pipes. Id flyline mackeral with about 12 lb mono. Trust me there are some toad catfish in this area. I caught an 18lb flathead in the canyon not too long ago... the flatheads are rare but the channel cats are plentiful... Deep is the key for the giants...

Pete

Yeh Monn!
07-18-2012, 09:19 AM
Or they will hit a YUM money minnow ....lol....15lbs 10oz36315

Was that the post i seen awhile back with that giant flat head caught by Pete ? before the boards went down ? I have seen Redtail Catfish pulled out of the lake as well more then likely released from someones aquarium .

So I have a Challenge ahead of me and I am Game .. Maybe start my search around the inlet , tire reef then possibly Far east ends . I have heard of cats being caught all around those areas but rarely ..

Thanks for the replies guys , see you on the water !

bassgrabber1
07-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Was that the post i seen awhile back with that giant flat head caught by Pete ? before the boards went down ? I have seen Redtail Catfish pulled out of the lake as well more then likely released from someones aquarium .

So I have a Challenge ahead of me and I am Game .. Maybe start my search around the inlet , tire reef then possibly Far east ends . I have heard of cats being caught all around those areas but rarely ..

Thanks for the replies guys , see you on the water ! No Pete caught a 18lbs Flat Head and I caught a 15lbs Channel Cat...trying to put the pic up but it wont let me!!

Pete Marino
07-18-2012, 09:28 AM
Id definetly start at the canyon on the north side of the lake.. That area is also called the Pipes because its where the water runs in from.. Some people also call it the trench.. youll definetly want to throw anchor and bait and wait.. 35ft or deep should be enough. I caught that big flathead (18lber) in about 45 ft of water just to give you an idea. And it was in the canyon there..
That area is easily your best shot at a giant because not only do big bass live in that area...big crappie big catfish , and big Striper also lve there down by the pipes... Its tricky to keep from getting hung up when you are around the underwater pipes so you may want to just move out from them along the canyon, it extends way out about 300 yards from shore...or more.
Heres a pic of my 18lb flathead...and as you can see I was at the canyon..
http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd134/TeamMarino/2012-03-10_140411.jpg

You can catch the cats most anywhere but the canyon will be the best and most consistant bite.. good luck

Pete

TroutMad
07-18-2012, 12:54 PM
My brother was fishing for trout using a small panther martin last year. Lo and behold he caught a 10 lb channel cat with it. It was dumb luck for my brother as usual. Lol. It was too warm to be throwing for trout in the east end but he ended up with a nice catch anyway.

icekrusher04
07-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Went on the rocks on the backside of the old slides. Used hog wild as the moon came up and killed em up to 4 pounds...Just waited until the moonlight hit the water and reflected. Fun time!!

Yeh Monn!
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Thanks Guys , for all the friendly advice ... I was indeed looking to head towards the canyons and the Deeper water (great Advice Pete)

12lb mono , fly line some Mack , maybe hit it with some Bite on Cajun or Love Sauce and I Think I will be Set ..

Thanks Again and Tight Lines to All