PDA

View Full Version : Hitting Perris W/Live Crayfish

Munky07
07-17-2012, 09:54 PM
Never fished with live crayfish before but i caught some today and I will be hitting Perris early sunday. I am wondering if anyone has used them there before and if anyone might have some pointers for me. Thanks for any and all posts.
Munky

Pete Marino
07-17-2012, 10:58 PM
#1 Gamakatsu splitshot/dropshot hook, fly lined (weightless) on 6-8 lb flourocarbon line in deep water will probably produce a GIANT FOR YOU... Cast it out let it sink and hold on!!!!!!!

Pete

Munky07
07-17-2012, 11:45 PM
#1 Gamakatsu splitshot/dropshot hook, fly lined (weightless) on 6-8 lb flourocarbon line in deep water will probably produce a GIANT FOR YOU... Cast it out let it sink and hold on!!!!!!!

Pete

Awesome! Thanks a ton Pete!

smokehound
07-18-2012, 02:32 AM
Crayfish are awesome! If you dont have splitshot/dropshot hooks, a #2 Kahle hook will work too!

Dont be afraid to toss a big huge crayfish out there, they love those too! I've seen big fat female bass with giant crawdad claws poking out of their butts!

Munky07
07-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Crayfish are awesome! If you dont have splitshot/dropshot hooks, a #2 Kahle hook will work too!

Dont be afraid to toss a big huge crayfish out there, they love those too! I've seen big fat female bass with giant crawdad claws poking out of their butts!

Thanks smokehound. I have a wide variety of sizes, some small some huge. I will be using them all hoping for the best. I have to get some of those hooks tonight. I hope I catch a huge one. Im fairly new to fishing and I haven't ever caught one big enough to post about. Thanks again for the tip :)

Frequent Flyer
07-18-2012, 09:44 AM
I've been wanting to try this for catfish do you hook them through the tail or cut off any of their claws?

Munky07
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
I've been wanting to try this for catfish do you hook them through the tail or cut off any of their claws?

I was told to pull the claws off (they will grow back,if they live), so they're a little less intimidating. You can hook them through their tails and up the back or on the small bone thing that sticks out in front of their eyes. Through the tail they're kind of handicapped since they can't bend the tail so they won't be able to swim away as fast. Either way should work

fishmounter
07-18-2012, 07:08 PM
Nose hook green 3-4 inch 'dads, (not too far back or you will kill them), slowly "walk" them back in along the bottom. Use 6-8 lb test, no weight, fish the rocky south side of the island, from deeper water uphill to shallows. Don't let them run too long with the bait or you'll guy hook them.

Fishbreath
07-18-2012, 07:50 PM
Don't pull off the claws. The bass and catfish you are looking for are not intimidated by claws. If there is any way you can get your hands on a copy of Bill Murphy's In Pursuit of Giant Bass, he is(was) the definitive authority on the subject.

Munky07
07-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Nose hook green 3-4 inch 'dads, (not too far back or you will kill them), slowly "walk" them back in along the bottom. Use 6-8 lb test, no weight, fish the rocky south side of the island, from deeper water uphill to shallows. Don't let them run too long with the bait or you'll guy hook them.

Great! Thanks again for the good advice. I've caught soo many 'dads this week. Its gonna be a good day at Perris. Im pretty excited to use some live bait!

Munky07
07-18-2012, 09:48 PM
Don't pull off the claws. The bass and catfish you are looking for are not intimidated by claws. If there is any way you can get your hands on a copy of Bill Murphy's In Pursuit of Giant Bass, he is(was) the definitive authority on the subject.

Thanks Fishbreath!
I guess I got some bad advice then lol. I will definitely be on the lookout for that book :)

smokehound
07-18-2012, 10:01 PM
Leave the claws on, the defensive pose of a crayfish is what drives bass crazy.

Be prepared for the occasional monster channel catfish, too.

Small 1-2 inch crayfish are great for monster bluegill and redear, too.

Perris_holic
07-18-2012, 10:38 PM
How did you catch the craws?

Munky07
07-18-2012, 11:02 PM
[QUOTE=smokehound;618945]Leave the claws on, the defensive pose of a crayfish is what drives bass crazy.

Be prepared for the occasional monster channel catfish, too.

Small 1-2 inch crayfish are great for monster bluegill and redear, too.

Great, thanks again! I will be leaving those claws on. I did a little research and they do like those claws in the defensive mode sticking up. I am hoping for a giant!

Munky07
07-18-2012, 11:08 PM
How did you catch the craws?

I found a stream near my house that's completely full of them. So I just went with a net and scooped them out lol quickly! They are really skiddish lol

bassoholic
07-19-2012, 11:03 PM
I found a stream near my house that's completely full of them. So I just went with a net and scooped them out lol quickly! They are really skiddish lol

Without asking anymore questions, you might want to review the DFG sections on fishing with/transporting live crayfish not taken from within lake Perris. The days of buying live bait at Sports Chalet are gone......lol.

Munky07
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
Without asking anymore questions, you might want to review the DFG sections on fishing with/transporting live crayfish not taken from within lake Perris. The days of buying live bait at Sports Chalet are gone......lol.

Thank you for your concern bassoholic,
I should have stated this earlier that I infact possess a Live Freshwater Bait Fish License through the DFG so I think I will be ok.

Munky

bassoholic
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you for your concern bassoholic,
I should have stated this earlier that I infact possess a Live Freshwater Bait Fish License through the DFG so I think I will be ok.

Munky

Sweet! Good luck! Didn't want you to get busted for something dumb....lol. Seems like the rules always change on bait and I'm not even up to speed on them anymore!

Munky07
07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
Sweet! Good luck! Didn't want you to get busted for something dumb....lol. Seems like the rules always change on bait and I'm not even up to speed on them anymore!

Yeah I know what you mean man. Unfortunately that's the way of the world...