PDA

View Full Version : Ethics and Advice about poaching

The Rookie
07-16-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm going to keep this short and vague intentionally:

I recently became acquainted with a young man, through my wife's family. As we chatted and made small talk we got on the subject of fishing. He stated that he catches big bass out of some of the north Orange County city lakes. When I asked about his technique he stated that he "helps himself a little" by catching baby bluegills, lip hooking them and fly-lineing them into big bass territory. He also stated that he has not bought a license in years. And that its 'ok because he doesn't keep them'. This made me quite angry but I kept it bottled up due to the delicate nature of family relations.

So, my question to you FNN'ers: What should I do? Call him out on it in a private conversation? 1800 CAL TIP?
Any advice will be appreciated, Thanks The Rookie.

vortec_cruiser
07-16-2012, 05:00 PM
That is a sticky situation. You know you have to do something, since, if you don't, it'll just keep growing inside you. I think you should take him aside and just tell him how you feel about it - then wring his neck for him being such a scofflaw.

Skyler
07-16-2012, 05:34 PM
I think you should take him aside, man to man, and give him a bit of advice. Back hooking with weight is WAY more effective. The bluegill will be a lot more lively and defenseless. Plus you don't have to worry about it tearing itself off the hook, he he he.

http://s13.postimage.org/h741ezw3n/BUCKET.png
www.bucketbrigadeer.com
Chasing stocking trux and bustin capz. That's how we roll!
http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/group.php?groupid=32

HawgZWylde
07-16-2012, 06:06 PM
It's family and not worth it. Explain to him that he is breaking the law, and what he is doing is considered highly unethical behavior, then let it go. The resulting division amongst the family just wouldn't be worth it. If he continues, he will be caught eventually by DFG stakeouts, and or someone else turning him in...

Nessie Hunter
07-17-2012, 08:47 AM
All it takes for Evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs some 'guidance & Direction' from someone he respects or looks up to.
That could easily be you.
Put him on the right path, before he teaches another generation..

Best would be to Show him (not just 'tell' him or chew im out) the correct way to do things..
He obviously didnt get much training as a youngster in those regards..
This seems to be a major problem with our youth...

Wingnut
07-17-2012, 09:28 AM
All it takes for Evil to prevail, is for good men to do nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He needs some 'guidance & Direction' from someone he respects or looks up to.
That could easily be you.
Put him on the right path, before he teaches another generation..

Best would be to Show him (not just 'tell' him or chew im out) the correct way to do things..
He obviously didnt get much training as a youngster in those regards..
This seems to be a major problem with our youth...

Well said Frank... :Cool:

Pete Marino
07-17-2012, 12:04 PM
Educate the boy plain and simple..

Talk to his parents about it...a serious talk. Talk to your wife about it...a serious talk.. and lastly talk to him about it...a serious talk. Explain they Whys and what ifs? And he'll come around hopefully.. Turn him into an "Angler".. and help teach him how to respect the sport and the fish.

Cartman
07-17-2012, 12:50 PM
Fishing with live bluegill is illegal in California, and it gives the poacher an unfair advantage, but in most states there is no law against it. You can be reading on line about catching big cats for instance, and they will first tell you to catch yourself some bluegill for bait. It IS illegal here, though, but I suspect it goes on a lot more than any of us would suspect. I know a couple of "old-timers" at the Pudd who fish with live bluegill regularly and have forever. I was fishing the bank once with my pole, and a guy fishing next to me asked for one of my little "throw-backs" so he could use it as bait just like he was asking for a worm or something. Just like it was nothing.

As for your family member, I think you need to educate him that he needs a license to fish and that fishing with bluegill se prohibido. From what you wrote it sounds like he doesn't even know what he's doing is wrong.

Fishing in California we deal with a lot of restrictions people in other states don't have to worry about. Look at pictures of crappie anglers and their "spider" rigs or the huge catfish caught on "trot-lines." Sometimes I wish I could put in a third line just to try something different from what I am doing, some different bait or some different rig. Generally, though, I figure fishing legally with just one pole should be plenty if I'm doing it right.

bman90278
07-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Well said by Nessie and Pete!

Also, If the guy doesn't listen, tell him u can't fish with him because u don't condone illegal fisherman. Be sure to tell him there are lots of people that have no problem call Cal Tip!

Hang in there and see if u can't educate the person before he does something really bad.

b

Skyler
07-17-2012, 01:44 PM
Fishing with live bluegill is illegal in California, and it gives the poacher an unfair advantage, but in most states there is no law against it. You can be reading on line about catching big cats for instance, and they will first tell you to catch yourself some bluegill for bait. It IS illegal here, though, but I suspect it goes on a lot more than any of us would suspect. I know a couple of "old-timers" at the Pudd who fish with live bluegill regularly and have forever. I was fishing the bank once with my pole, and a guy fishing next to me asked for one of my little "throw-backs" so he could use it as bait just like he was asking for a worm or something. Just like it was nothing.

As for your family member, I think you need to educate him that he needs a license to fish and that fishing with bluegill se prohibido. From what you wrote it sounds like he doesn't even know what he's doing is wrong.

Fishing in California we deal with a lot of restrictions people in other states don't have to worry about. Look at pictures of crappie anglers and their "spider" rigs or the huge catfish caught on "trot-lines." Sometimes I wish I could put in a third line just to try something different from what I am doing, some different bait or some different rig. Generally, though, I figure fishing legally with just one pole should be plenty if I'm doing it right.

Using bluegill for bait is legal in many parts of california. The colorado river district, including all canals throughout blythe, coachella, and imperial valley, the sacramento river and delta including tributaries, the san jouquin river and tributaries, as well as many other waters listed in the regs.

fishinarteest
07-17-2012, 04:37 PM
Using bluegill for bait is legal in many parts of california. The colorado river district, including all canals throughout blythe, coachella, and imperial valley, the sacramento river and delta including tributaries, the san jouquin river and tributaries, as well as many other waters listed in the regs.

I did not know that. I did however know that bluegill is legal in most states to use as bait. Whenever i go to another state and have to time fish but dont know whats biting the first species i target are cats, and if theres bluegill around I will use them, and with great success.

Skyler
07-18-2012, 10:17 AM
I did not know that. I did however know that bluegill is legal in most states to use as bait. Whenever i go to another state and have to time fish but dont know whats biting the first species i target are cats, and if theres bluegill around I will use them, and with great success.

Yeah, my brother and I use live bluegill and goldfish for the big flatheads in the Blythe canals. We incidentally catch a lot of bass in the process.

4g63power
07-18-2012, 10:31 AM
plan a fishing trip with him, somewhere exciting. tell him he will need a license, if he says he cant afford one, just buy one for him. go fish and have a blast and explain the importance of having fishing license and ethical ways to him. if this doesnt work, well you tried at least right? or you can always go toss blue gill and catch big bass with him..jk