PDA

View Full Version : In need of a bass tip

Ifishtoolittle
07-13-2012, 10:50 PM
Soooo... I was bass fishing today and lost just as many fish as I landed so that would make 15 caught and 15 lost! The predicament that I am cursed with is losing bass when they jump. What do you, my fellow bass angler, offer to me as a piece of advice to prevent or keep a bass on the end of my line when they decide to make a leap?

SHOOTER2496
07-13-2012, 11:02 PM
when they jump, keep slight tension on the line, turn your rod sideways and face your rod tip at the water
Thats what i do and it seems to work
Good luck on those jumping bass :Fishing Hole:

dfisher
07-14-2012, 12:50 AM
when they jump, keep slight tension on the line, turn your rod sideways and face your rod tip at the water
Thats what i do and it seems to work
Good luck on those jumping bass :Fishing Hole:

x2

you should anticipate the bass jumping, so you could do what above poster said. You will save alot of fish this way.

Fishbreath
07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
For me one of the defining moments of bass fishing is when a nice one treats me to a good mouth-open, head-shaking, gill-rattling jump. She has just honored me by showing me her best stuff, and I appreciate it. I have already caught as many bass as anyone deserves in his lifetime, and I am going to release it as soon as I get it in anyway. I usually don't bother to try to keep them from jumping unless it is a really big fish. Playing a big bass is all about leverage and angles. It becomes automatic with experience. If you have a bass coming up whether or not you want to keep it from jumping, don't forget to keep reeling. It is no time for slack line. To keep it from jumping you want to have the sideways leverage to pull her head over so she is no longer facing upward. As the bass nears the surface, I jamb my rod tip down into the water, continue reeling, and sweep it away from the fish.

You had 30 bass on. That is a good day with nothing to be disappointed about. Congratulations on that. This time of the year with the water at 76°, a lot of them want to jump for you. How fun is that?

Old fishermen never die. They just smell that way.
The Best of Fishbreath (http://s202.photobucket.com/albums/aa24/Fishbreath92028/Slideshow/?albumview=slideshow)

fishmounter
07-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Yes I agree with Fishbreath entirely. We do enjoy the sight and visual memory of that first look of that big beautiful trophy bass jumping, with bright red flared gills and all the water being thrown and splashed. It's a cool thing to see, but it also just might be the last you will see of that fish! When you see your line coming up with that fish getting ready the jump and try to throw that hook, quickly lower your rod tip down, even pushing it down deep under water if you are in a boat. Many times this will turn the bass back down away from the surface. And don't forget that last head shake and jump that all bass seem to do as a last attempt to get free. Lost many a bass at this point just as I am getting ready to grab or net them.

allIdoIsfish
07-14-2012, 10:51 PM
If you feel the bass rising just hold the tip into the water and if you have strong enough line sweep your lowered rod tip to the side to prevent him from getting air born.

HawgZWylde
07-15-2012, 08:00 AM
Fishbreath gave the best answer. But if that fish does indeed get air, lay her flat by sweeping your rod and "skate" her across the surface reeling as fast as you can. Never let her have any slack in the line...

Pete Marino
07-15-2012, 10:38 AM
The first questions Id ask you would be "What bait were you throw"? Because youre obviously not getting a good hook set.. Its often easy to make a hook change that will fix the "Losing bass" problem but it will depend on what bait you are throwing..
Bass jumping shouldnt be the reason you are losing them.. I can be using 6lb flouro with a small hook and not not have a bass come off when it jumps...Its all about the hook, then the hook set for that given hook.
Some baits are notorious for coming unbuttoned when a bass jumps, like the rattletrap, or spoons and Ice jigs... But there are adjustments you can make to even those baits to help keep the bass buttoned when they jump.. I need to know the bait and Ill tell you the proper adjustment you should make. 50/50 catch ratio is not acceptable.. I should be able to fix that ratio for you dramaticly. You can PM me if you want to keep it private if you want.

Pete

carpanglerdude
07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Once, when I was fishing at Fairmount, an older angler gave me a solid tip on fighting a leaping bass. I had just lost one that went airborn, and he told me, "Remember, BOW to the tarpon! Same goes for bass!" By bow, he meant to keep the rod tip lower, pulling 'em back down. That usually works.

The only time a 50/50 catch ratio makes sense is when I'm frog fishing at night. I hate it, but I have more blow ups and short strikes/thrown hooks than any other type of fishing.