PDA

View Full Version : NEWPORT HARBOR!!! With Vid of hali and great gaff shot ;)

Beaverfishinfever
07-13-2012, 01:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RSMcMbLM58

The link above says a little bit of our trip :)

Caught over 50+ bass of all sizes, mainly 12-13", kept 9 due to 5 or 6 very deeply hooked. No spotties were kept, so get off my *** all you tree hugging Boso's who are "internet activists".

1/4oz slide sinker and a live anchovie or live squid did the trick. Nice weather and no swell led to an amazing day.
Tried outside the mouth for only lizard fish....BUST.

Landed 3 Hali's 2(20") 1(34"), and a wide open bite on Bass and Barri's. Landed one 27 1/2" Barri everything else in the harbor are little 20"ers which are real fun on the light line.
No mackeral in the harbor which was cool, you could actually get your bait to the bottom without getting harassed.
Overall great day of fishing. Message me if you are interested in planning a skiff trip, we always need an extra head to join in.

fish_sauce
07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Beaverfishinfever,

Congrats to you and yours on a successful outing! Gotta love that moment of first color from the depths...thanks for sharing, and welcome to the boards!

Andrew

Beaverfishinfever
07-13-2012, 01:52 PM
Beaverfishinfever,

Congrats to you and yours on a successful outing! Gotta love that moment of first color from the depths...thanks for sharing, and welcome to the boards!

Andrew

Thanks! I had to jump on the FNN train. Usually all over Bloodydecks though!

fishfinder
07-13-2012, 02:09 PM
Cute! I mean nice fish.

bones
07-13-2012, 02:29 PM
A big welcome to the FNN sir. That flattie is a very nice sized fish for NPH for sure. Congrats on the slayage out there!
Those bass counts are quite impressive as well.
Looking forward to seeing more reports from you in the near future!
PS

You might not want to assume that you are going to be judged on a cooler of Sandbass. Some folks might feel the need to warn you about the high mercury levels in those fish but that would be about it. There are no turd roller huggers here that I know of.Take note of a recent pic of a warning sign near your AO....

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r135/Wingnut32566/Wingnut%208/Wingnut%2010/Wingnut%2011/SWAT1041.jpg

BIG*GAME*HUNTER
07-14-2012, 01:23 AM
awesome catch bro, girl and fish...both keepers.

Re8elmonk0341
07-14-2012, 02:12 AM
Nice fish!

WARRIORMIKE
07-14-2012, 07:44 AM
Were you guys fishing off the bait barge? Looks like it?? If so that is an ideal spot for those halis to be at.

HawgStalker
07-14-2012, 10:58 AM
LOL! Awesome vid and reaction to color!!! WTG girl.... Great job guys! Found myself screaming get the gaff, get the gaff!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

smokehound
07-14-2012, 11:16 AM
No biggie on the sand bass. Its not like you're keeping lmb

I actually prefer people keep a few sandies instead of spotties.

Nph is big enough to handle the pressure.

I always felt those warnings were bunk.. I mean they tell you not to Eat topsmelt yet they say you can eat jacksmelt..

Logic fail.. lol

Beaverfishinfever
07-14-2012, 03:45 PM
There can't be enough contamination in those fish to do any harm. I only keep fish from the harbor when I catch some legal Hali's, plus most of the bass were going to die due to being very deeply hooked, all the bass that were hooked in the corner of the mouth were released. and I'd rather eat those fish then feed a damn pelican. This upcoming monday there will be another NPH report. Hopefully I have have some trophies to post.

ml8fish
07-14-2012, 05:38 PM
sandies are mostly migratory, coming up to spawn, in the harbor mouth especially, NPH is also south of the red area, palos verdes, fish caught south of huntington area are less likely to contain high levels of mercury/ddt contaminants, still not recommending to eat YFC outta the harbor, but i dont think twice about taking a few sand bass every month or two, haven't grown an extra toe yet...:Secret:

congrats on a nice hali!

ml

jpod
07-16-2012, 08:36 PM
had so much fun that day hahah i was the photographer for that trip haha i caught so mmany damn fish that day haa we all did cant wait for wensday we hittin it up again finally kenny u make it over to fnn \

TUNAVIC
07-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Congrats on the Halibut,nice one,and yes nice gaff shot.

Cya Tuna Vic

SP Dan
07-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Hi ya Beaverfishinfever,

Welcome to the FNN site!

"Congratulations" on not only the variety pack of fish but on your LEGAL Halbut as well! :Thumbs Up: WTG!!

Thanx for the fsh report with pic's! :Cool:

SP dan <"))><