PDA

View Full Version : 8/23 Newport Pier for Irvine Lake macks

troutdog
08-24-2007, 01:55 AM
I've gotta make this short, because I am about to crash out and need to be sharp for Saturday. Went to the Newport Pier in an effort to fill a bucket full of mack for Irvine Saturday. Got a decent sized sardine and a few bite size spanish macks in the first 1/2 hour. The key was being at the end of the pier and as soon as a spot opened up I grabbed it. Unfortunately it was getting late and the my daughter had to be in bed for a big day at Knotts Friday and then Irvine Sat. We did have enough time to catch a few decent size macks...
http://fishingnetwork.net/images/tmp2/mack.jpg

I am thinking about another quick session in the morning to get a few more macks, aside from that there are some big bonnies around...saw two of them pushing 4lbs or so. Other catches I saw included a big guitarfish, a fat spotfin crocker and a few perch. Bottom line you want macks, hit the end of the pier with sabiki or lucky joes...btw it looked like rigs with larger flys/feathers/yarn were getting more fish.

Hooked up with Grimpy...he was cool enough to drop off a rig he won from SARL to be raffled off on Saturday! :thumb:

Good luck and thanks for reading...hope to see you on Saturday.

TD

one_leg
08-24-2007, 08:14 AM
Put a little glow stick on your line at night. It helps a lot.

One_Leg

ThemBastards
08-24-2007, 08:38 AM
Cheater!!! Fresh mac huh? Ok. Good haul man. Any good piers in the IE :rofl:

ghetto dad
08-24-2007, 10:38 AM

I heard the corona pier is wide open on macs flyling fresh cow pies.......

ThemBastards
08-24-2007, 10:40 AM

Fresh cowpies huh? Im gonna have to make the drive to Norco after work then.

ghetto dad
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM

what happened to all your corona cows???

ThemBastards
08-24-2007, 10:59 AM
[quote=ThemBastards]Cheater!!! Fresh mac huh? Ok. Good haul man. Any good piers in the IE :rofl:

what happened to all your corona cows???[/quote:142b9]

Well ghetto while there definately are cows in corona, I dont know where they are. I live in the South Hills(I typed that as snobbishly as possible) in 2 year old 5 bedroom house. No cows in sight, and again I just moved here from Costa Mesa so there might be some out here, that I dont know about.

I believe most of the cow pastures are in Norco.

pineapple express
08-24-2007, 11:51 AM
howzit troutdog
i was out there @ 9pm for some catfish bait too for my next catfish outting... did we cross paths & didnt know it ?
peace out
PE

Wingnut
08-24-2007, 12:17 PM
Now I know who to hit up Saturday for bait! :wink:

ghetto dad
08-24-2007, 01:04 PM
[quote=ThemBastards]Cheater!!! Fresh mac huh? Ok. Good haul man. Any good piers in the IE :rofl:

what happened to all your corona cows???

Well ghetto while there definately are cows in corona, I dont know where they are. I live in the South Hills(I typed that as snobbishly as possible) in 2 year old 5 bedroom house. No cows in sight, and again I just moved here from Costa Mesa so there might be some out here, that I dont know about.

I believe most of the cow pastures are in Norco.[/quote:343e8]

cool......

troutdog
08-24-2007, 01:17 PM
howzit troutdog
i was out there @ 9pm for some catfish bait too for my next catfish outting... did we cross paths & didnt know it ?
peace out
PE

I bet we just missed eachother....I think we left around 8:30 or so, was wearing a 57shirt too! Sorry I missed you PE....did you fill up your bucket at the end of the pier? The night time seems to be the right time from what I have been hearing.

TD

smokehound
08-24-2007, 03:00 PM
you want to hit the longer piers for a higher abundance of mackerel.

I always thought HB yielded the most macks, with the average sized macks being a foot long.