PDA

View Full Version : SHHHHHHHHHHHH, don't tell Pontoon..........

Nipple Twister
07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
:Secret:
ATTENTION! THE FOLLOWING REPORT IS NOT FOR PONTOON EYES!!!!!!!

YOU ARE ON A “NEED TO KNOW STATUS” AT THIS TIME and further reading confirms your compliance with the “eyes only” policy of the following said Intel:

Ok, shhhhh, is he gone????? Ok, here’s what I got, things have been kinda slow past few weeks and even making some extended excursions to outlaying A.O’s. Nothing more frustrating then doing your home work, have all indicators giving you the “All Green” only to find saladfest, cloudy water, too much angler pressure….yadda, yadda, yadda…
But, as all good SWAT members would, we press on, adjust, improvise, adapt, look for the open water channels, find the deep end of the trench, locate some new structure and work it, make it happen………
Got few shortys here and there:

This particular morning was a spur of the moment thing due to some last minute changes in my attendance to some legal matters I had scheduled hence to having the day NOT at work. As it turned out I had a few hours starting at greylight if I made sure to be “on-seen” at dark (what the hell, I was already up) and hit the surf hard, slam bam thank you ma’am and I’m outta here……….had to be in Santa Ana by 9AM………doable!

Date: Thurs, July 12, 2012
Time: 0500-0800
A.O: “Classified”
Terrain: Wide sandy beach type fishery.
Weather: Cloudy, Mild, Slight breeze.
Surf: 2-4 ft
Water temp: Est low 60s. Clarity: Good but heavy salad at times
Bait: LCFM included in my S.W.A.T acceptance package, Started out with the Luna on the 7’ Compre but decided early to go back old school to the rod/reel I started with on this beach at the spot which got me my first legal Halibut this time last year. 9’ Shimano Clarus with a Shimano Spirex 4000 now loaded with 50lb Power Pro Super 8 braid.
Fish count: Two shortys and one 24” legal

This session was so last minute it was just shorts and a long sleeve shirt, hittin the beach I could see a couple others already at it, as well as a couple guys getting ready in the parking lot when I drove up, busy at casting. Tide was just right to give the trenches plenty of depth but keeping the shore pound to a minimum based on the waves. Ahh, seemed like worth the effort. At first cast/retrieve it was BUMP and TUG…….salad!
Ok, lets try right ………..here. bump/tug…….damn. Ok, here…….bump/tug ……urrggggggg…….ok, here…..bump/tug.!!!!!!
Ok, clearly, with limited time it was adapt and as stated above switched rods which gave me a little more reach but was just enough to get out past the river of debris and deeper waters…..go with it. Having some wind knot issues with this reel/rod in the past now seems to be worked out (it was too much loaded on the spool) cause I was getting clean, smooth far casts with minimal salad on the retrieve….that being said I still wasn’t getting any bumps of the right kind. Ok, no worries. Came out here just to clear the head anyway, catching anything was just gonna be gravy and with the rod/reel working flawlessly I was feeling ok about the morning. Watching a few others up and down the beach made it appear as they where having the same results, couple familiar faces, couple new ones but no time for chit chat, I turned up the volume and fan cast my way up the beach…………one eye on the clock, one on the rod I could sense what the morning was gonna give up…..nadda.
Just as you get complacent BAM, FISH ON! ……..and it's a headshaker with enough tug to be of legal caliber……..yeah……nice, smooth and easy slide up the sand and……ohhhhh, short. (no pic) A quick unlatch and on it way…….as I kneel to release the fish I look over my shoulder…..yup, I was witnessed.
Everyone seemed to pick up the pace a tad, as I. Again, not paying much attention to what/who around me, music going in my head and my feel of the rod at my fingertips was keeping me company and in short time……BAM…Fish On!
This guy was a little further out, he hit that Lucky Craft just as it hit the water and with the light drag was pulling some out…….”YEAH…….WHOO HOOO…….oops, shhhhh........ yeah, whoo hoo…….too late, others saw. As I bring it closer it comes clear out of the water, flips and skims across the surface and plunge, back in………

As I got it up the sand, measured, photographed (19”), released I went quickly back at it, noticing the time I was running out (damn Arthur, how do you do this?). Although I could not hear much with the earbuds on I got this feeling of being watched, I peered over my shoulder and noticed a guy who was earlier WAAAAAYYYYY down the beach now standing behind me 10 yrds with his arms crossed holding his rod (no, not that one….sheesh). Ok, well let see what we can give him something to look at I guess so I go back to flinging……..I watched a couple guys who I have not seen here before (not that that means anything) that where bait/waitin get discouraged with the fishing, they abruptly pulled in the rods, folded up the holders and dump what was left of the frozen bait in the surf and walked off…….hmm, yup, been there, done that.
Going back to what I was doing I notice this small little rip tide pulling out to just beyond the break and the birds are diving in too…….nice, me too…..I start flinging hard that way, every time I cast my arm passes my face I can see the time on my watch……”ok, ok, just 10 more minutes” I cast harder, retrieves are coming back clean now so I just try and maximize and get as many in as possible so at least I can………..BUMP/BAM SLAM YEAH, FISH ON! Headshake and Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz z………….next stop Catalina.
With the Spirex I have the fighting drag which lets me clamp down real lightly, give it a nudge gets me back some of the green braid spinning off. Over the sand bar and now deeper water of the trench it was run up/down the beach, with every attempt to beach it it’s ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzz just as soon as it sees shallow water. (starting to have WSB/San O flashbacks) My hand and arm are getting tired, with every wave I think it will wash ashore but again Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz………ahahahahahahahahahaha, damn, this guys is pissed!!!!!!!
Ok, let the drag wear your haliBUTT out. At one point as it came by for a low level flyby I got a glimpse of the LC latched on the side of the mouth and one hook with a good lip grip I felt better about taking my time……….as predicted just about the time I was loosing my grip, the fish was taking a break and luck would have it a nice wave washed it ashore:

I nice fat 24” Halibut….same size, same spot, same rod/reel, same lure, same time of day, one year ago as my very first legal Halibut………thank you Posiden thank you very much. I will keep this one and put dinner on the table……truly blessed……..

After some quick measurements, a couple pics I was off feeling pretty good about the day (go ahead your Honor, try and ruin my day now……….ain’t gonna happen)

You know your truly addicted when you have a head full of issues needing your attention and you STILL look for any amount of time to fish……… ain’t it cool?

Thanks for reading, tight lines and ‘til next time………..see ya

S.W.A.T baby………:Thumbs Up:

Which Way Out
07-12-2012, 10:34 PM
Better than stressing out and losing it, Right.

Good work John and the best of luck all around.
WWO

bachiboy
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
Heheh...nice read John, and congrats on your legal! OOPS gotta run, I think I see Terry coming. :whistle:

Wingnut
07-13-2012, 12:44 PM
No use trying to hide intel John, Pontoon has full access of the S.W.A.T. Predator Drone. :Wink:
Great job on the legal Hali, not many have been caught from the surf lately. :Envious:
I haven't hit the surf in a month and this weekend seems unlikely. :Neutral:
Thanks for the fun report and good luck this weekend. :Big Grin:

SP Dan
07-13-2012, 01:30 PM
Hi ya John!

As usual my friend....a fantastic read!
"Congratulations"!.....on beaching that FAT haliBUT! :Big Smile::Applause:
I'm conducting business on PCH in front of the GETTY and one of the drivers decides to lay on their horn........it was Bones flying by after hitting up three AO's during early hour light! ha ha ha!

Thanx for the fun fish read with pic's! :Cool:

SP Dan <"))><

PS........Shhhhhhh.....:EyePop: mummmmmms the word at this end....... concerning "PONTOON"......eh! :Thumbs Up: ha ha ha

bones
07-13-2012, 03:42 PM
What a great read John.
Congrats on the fine halibut my friend!
Hey....Does your boss notice that you have predawn sand in your ears:ROFL:
After your text and a text from Sid yesterday that one of my favorite AO's aka Ye Old Honey hole had clean water I couldn't resist a quick assault before PCH loaded up with the morning rush. So I was out of the house by 4:30 and my day started off strange to say the least. As I was putting on my gear I heard a scream from about 100 ft away. At first I thought it was a greylight crazy person but as soon as my eyes met with the guy I knew something terrible was taking place. He waved me in his direction and screamed PLEASE once again. I ran over to his car and saw his lady half way out of the car and she wasn't breathing. He was trying to pry her mouth open and got his fingers between her teeth but she bit down on him very hard. Enough to bite to the bone so now he is REALLY screaming. I grabbed her by the forhead and her lower jaw and he was able to get his hand out. At that moment I saw her tongue and knew she needed attention quickly. She now was breathing through her nose though but not very well and was knocked out. I called 911 and the paramedics were there within 5 minutes. 911 kept me on the phone until the paramedics arrived. It was presumed that she had some kind of seizure and the guys had her strapped down with all of the bells and whistles attached to her.The whole incident kinda shook me up but I took a deep breath and said a prayer for the man,his woman and family.As he sat there preparing to follow the ambulance to the hospital I gave him a hug and told him that everything was going to be ok because she was now awake but in a daze. He just kept crying for "his amore". It was kinda hard to gather myself after that wake up call on how short life can be but I did. As I figured I fished that whole stretch we talked about with out hit for two hours. There was fresh green grass on every cast but today....It didn't upset me at all. It actually was a little calming therapy from poseidon. When I left....Lo and Behold there was SPdan supervising his crew. I could see his bright smile from a long way down PCH so I gave him a honk and a nod. I worked for the rest of the day and now I'm going to head on up to VC to check out the conditions for a evening bite.
It would be REAL EASY to sit in my house and hide from the heat but your report has kicked me in the butt.....Life is too short....opportunity is.....Your Lifetime.
Thanks for the inspration my friend.

Keep up the good work!

Which Way Out
07-13-2012, 06:49 PM
What a great read John.
Congrats on the fine halibut my friend!
Hey....Does your boss notice that you have predawn sand in your ears:ROFL:
After your text and a text from Sid yesterday that one of my favorite AO's aka Ye Old Honey hole had clean water I couldn't resist a quick assault before PCH loaded up with the morning rush. So I was out of the house by 4:30 and my day started off strange to say the least. As I was putting on my gear I heard a scream from about 100 ft away. At first I thought it was a greylight crazy person but as soon as my eyes met with the guy I knew something terrible was taking place. He waved me in his direction and screamed PLEASE once again. I ran over to his car and saw his lady half way out of the car and she wasn't breathing. He was trying to pry her mouth open and got his fingers between her teeth but she bit down on him very hard. Enough to bite to the bone so now he is REALLY screaming. I grabbed her by the forhead and her lower jaw and he was able to get his hand out. At that moment I saw her tongue and knew she needed attention quickly. She now was breathing through her nose though but not very well and was knocked out. I called 911 and the paramedics were there within 5 minutes. 911 kept me on the phone until the paramedics arrived. It was presumed that she had some kind of seizure and the guys had her strapped down with all of the bells and whistles attached to her.The whole incident kinda shook me up but I took a deep breath and said a prayer for the man,his woman and family.As he sat there preparing to follow the ambulance to the hospital I gave him a hug and told him that everything was going to be ok because she was now awake but in a daze. He just kept crying for "his amore". It was kinda hard to gather myself after that wake up call on how short life can be but I did. As I figured I fished that whole stretch we talked about with out hit for two hours. There was fresh green grass on every cast but today....It didn't upset me at all. It actually was a little calming therapy from poseidon. When I left....Lo and Behold there was SPdan supervising his crew. I could see his bright smile from a long way down PCH so I gave him a honk and a nod. I worked for the rest of the day and now I'm going to head on up to VC to check out the conditions for a evening bite.
It would be REAL EASY to sit in my house and hide from the heat but your report has kicked me in the butt.....Life is too short....opportunity is.....Your Lifetime.
Thanks for the inspration my friend.

Keep up the good work!

Mike You Da Man!!!!

PONTOON
07-15-2012, 03:41 PM
Yes NT Arthur is right, The SWAT Predator Drone program sent me an intruder alert at 0-500 that there was a familiar subject on a familiar stretch of beach at an unfamiliar day and time.........A level III Alert.:LOL:

Once I zoomed in on the subject I knew right away he was one that need to be watched. I could tell from your actions.......cast......look over the right shoulder.......cast........look over the left shoulder.......that you may have known there were eyes on you but it was the lean forward.........pfffft followed by bubbles that threw me off!:Shocked:

Hey dude, I'm glad you were able to get a little time on the water before taking care of business and even more happy to see the reward. Good job!:Cool:

Hey Mike, you kept your cool under pressure and made the difference in someones life.......Good Job My Friend!:Thumbs Up:

blackwater
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Nice Halibut NT, see you at the HG4 event! :Big Grin: